Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Club Marketing emails concerning ladies team

Should the club continue the marketing strategy of clickbait, or describe news accurately?

• No, I love being trolled

Votes: 25 17.7%
  • Yes, the email subject should describe the enclosed news

Votes: 116 82.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
If you follow the Unsubscribe link, it takes you to a Preferences page with a number of Yes/No options, including one labelled 'Pref Womens'. Could be that's how you can filter out news about the Women's team, tho the page is so poorly designed it's hard to tell.
Thanks for that, worth a try, let's see if it works.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
You always know it will be the woman's team, especially if it says Albion sign striker !!

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
My smartwatch simply shows a notification. 'The Albion sign new keeper'. Now I know that most our new signings are women so I don't bother with the email. It's annoying at work as for a moment I get my hopes up.

I am sure the club don't want to disappoint lots of their fans but they certainly are. It would be simple to separate the different teams.

It's also ironic that so many people are stating that they can't understand why others are bothered, they are themselves getting bothered about other people getting bothered. Why not accept that not everyone is the same. None of us are annoyed about all the same things so why should this be any different.

Nope, not bothered at all that you’re getting bothered by it. As I said, just find it bizarre. Find it quite ironic that you’re getting bothered about people getting bothered about people getting bothered about the womens side’s emails. And so on.

Genuine question, do your emotions really run that high and low about signings that this is causing you angst? And in all honesty, there are very, very few times a mens first team signing comes out of the blue. There is usually a build up so it rarely comes as a big surprise.

As I said, I genuinely don’t undestand the issue here. So what if you had to take 5 seconds opening up an email, is it that big a deal? The womens game has been under valued and under promoted for years. I’m all up for anything that offers them a little more publicity.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It's not clickbait. These are emails, I don't know if the club can tell when you've opened them or not (so am not sure if they can sell adverts on the strength of 'x number of emails opened' the way they can sell online advertisement based on the number of times a link is clicked), but there is generally an expectation that since you agreed to be contacted by email you will open the email regardless of what they put in the subject line.

It's not trolling, it's not clickbait. It's the club viewing all cub signing news as pretty much equal*, without any real need to distinguish teams from one another.

No one has a problem when we get emails about some 17 year old who is never going to make the first team. No one has a problem with the signing of someone ineligible for a permit who can't legally join us. Yet, when its a woman who won't play for the first team these emails are a problem. Weird that.

(*the potter signing and Trossard signing both had "BREAKING NEWS" in their subject lines - something absent from the women's announcements... and Matt Clarke's.)

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
It's not clickbait. These are emails, I don't know if the club can tell when you've opened them or not (so am not sure if they can sell adverts on the strength of 'x number of emails opened' the way they can sell online advertisement based on the number of times a link is clicked), but there is generally an expectation that since you agreed to be contacted by email you will open the email regardless of what they put in the subject line.

It's not trolling, it's not clickbait. It's the club viewing all cub signing news as pretty much equal*, without any real need to distinguish teams from one another.

No one has a problem when we get emails about some 17 year old who is never going to make the first team. No one has a problem with the signing of someone ineligible for a permit who can't legally join us. Yet, when its a woman who won't play for the first team these emails are a problem. Weird that.

(*the potter signing and Trossard signing both had "BREAKING NEWS" in their subject lines - something absent from the women's announcements... and Matt Clarke's.)

Of course it’s clickbait, it’s practically opening chapter of e-marketing. Anyway, lots people making same point about development signings too. Mores to the point, it’s easy for the club to resolve. If anything, shows just how primitive the clubs CRM is.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Went for No but don't consider it trolling . Just doesn't bother me at all. If I click on it it's not like it wastes hours of my time and it just isn't worth getting worked up about.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
I have just completely stopped opening the emails from the club. Living abroad I'm hardly going to take them up on some sudden season ticket offer so unlikely to miss much that 15 seconds longer looses me.

I just get all my news from NSC

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We are not Crystal Palace - the womens team is part of the club, so new signings for the womens team are signings made by the club. It is club news.
The U23 are also part of the club. As are the staff in the club shop, the catering staff, the groundsmen, all the staff at the training ground etc. Do you expect an email from the club saying 'Brazilian signed' when we sign a cleaner from Brazil?

Like most people here, I've followed the senior men's team for a long time, and I care enough about that team to be interested in news about them. I haven't yet watched our women's team, and I'm not currently interested in what signings they're making. That may change one day, but that's how it is at the moment.

As it is, when I saw that we'd signed a keeper I just thought it was probably for the women's team. It was, so I deleted the email. I'm no longer excited when I see an email from the club announcing we've signed someone. Weirdly I get trolled less on here, so I'll stick to NSC for reliable news about our club.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I wonder if in ‘preferences’ the club gave you an option to tick core subjects you wanted content on how many would pick the ladies team [emoji23][emoji23]

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Nope, not bothered at all that you’re getting bothered by it. As I said, just find it bizarre. Find it quite ironic that you’re getting bothered about people getting bothered about people getting bothered about the womens side’s emails. And so on.

Genuine question, do your emotions really run that high and low about signings that this is causing you angst? And in all honesty, there are very, very few times a mens first team signing comes out of the blue. There is usually a build up so it rarely comes as a big surprise.

As I said, I genuinely don’t undestand the issue here. So what if you had to take 5 seconds opening up an email, is it that big a deal? The womens game has been under valued and under promoted for years. I’m all up for anything that offers them a little more publicity.
Well you are one of many that have said you can't understand or it isn't an issue etc so you are bothered enough to join in and register your stance.

I am not upset at all, your comment like many others here in response to those who don't like the emails is very overactive. I simply find it a little annoying and to be honest I'll say again, disappointing, as I see the headline we've signed a new Dutch international etc but it's poppycock.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Like most people here, I've followed the senior men's team for a long time, and I care enough about that team to be interested in news about them. I haven't yet watched our women's team, and I'm not currently interested in what signings they're making. That may change one day, but that's how it is at the moment.

Well there you go. Exact reason why they're sending the emails.'this may change one day'... there are people changing every day to become more interested in the women's team - and highlighting all the fantastic signings they are making is one way to get people to change.

We're not talking some noddy outfit here either, on last year's table Brighton are the 9th best team in the country in a sport that is massively growing in popularity, participation and prestige.

The most obvious place to build a fanbase for Brighton and Hove Albion is with the existing fans of Brighton and Hove Albion, and the most obvious way to demonstrate that the club considers these teams equals and two halves of the Albion name is to treat them the way they are. There's loads more that can be done but I'm delighted they're not being stuck in he corner and unbelievably proud of Tony Bloom, Paul Barber and the rest for what they are doing for the women's game in Sussex.

I may only get to one or two Albion games next season and I think they are both going to be women's games because that's where my daughter prefers to go. If my daughter does achieve her dream of becoming a professional footballer, well, its such an exciting time to be playing :)

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
To be fair they are trying to be deliberately misleading with headlines like “Albion sign new keeper”
All they need to do is put “ladies” after Albion but no and it is getting a bit tedious now

Agreed. They are being very misleading and prompting you to open an email on a subject which is not of the slightest interest to most Albion fans. If it had been an U23 keeper I'm sure they wold have said so in the headline. This kind of stuff from the club really pisses me off.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I don’t know why people get so pissed off about it. Open the email, look at the picture and then either read it or don’t read it. There must be worse things going on in people’s lives to worry about.

100% correct. Same as folks watching TV progs then moan someone upset them with political views or cooked eggs benedict incorrectly. TURN THE BLOODY THING OFF/OVER.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
100% correct. Same as folks watching TV progs then moan someone upset them with political views or cooked eggs benedict incorrectly. TURN THE BLOODY THING OFF/OVER.
Indeed.

And that is why all club emails will now go straight to junk mail automatically without me even seeing them - all because of this sneaky clickbaiting strategy.

Everything is on the website anyway.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Won't be long before men's teams away match tickets are advertising in further "marketing" emails, I expect some people who never go to away games will get their knickers in a twist if the email title doesn't specifically quote the word "away" in the title.

BTW there is a fans forum soon if it is such an inconvenience for so many why don't you get a ticket to attend, stand up, and ask the question to Tony et al.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
They have to be seen to report it as an equal to the men , that's the world ( well country ) we live in.

Can be mildly annoying but I just ignore all the women's stuff.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
The poll question is set out somewhat confusingly as your opening sentence poses two separate questions within the framework of one question which require conflicting yes and no answers which are in agreement with each other. Therefore if a "Yes" vote corresponds to the first part of your question then a "No" vote would apply in agreement to the second part of your question and vice versa.

For example:

Should the club continue the marketing strategy of clickbait, (I vote "Yes") or describe news accurately? ( I vote "Yes......I mean No").

Sorry to be a pedant.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Won't be long before men's teams away match tickets are advertising in further "marketing" emails, I expect some people who never go to away games will get their knickers in a twist if the email title doesn't specifically quote the word "away" in the title.

BTW there is a fans forum soon if it is such an inconvenience for so many why don't you get a ticket to attend, stand up, and ask the question to Tony et al.
Would rather ask a question about buying a train, or the choice of staples used in the programme to be honest.

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
The poll question is set out somewhat confusingly as your opening sentence poses two separate questions within the framework of one question which require conflicting yes and no answers which are in agreement with each other. Therefore if a "Yes" vote corresponds to the first part of your question then a "No" vote would apply in agreement to the second part of your question and vice versa.

For example:

Should the club continue the marketing strategy of clickbait, (I vote "Yes") or describe news accurately? ( I vote "Yes......I mean No").

Sorry to be a pedant.

Intentional troll, I also voted No.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here