Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Teacher who was staring at her phone and hit by a cyclist win compensation.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
From the cyclist yesterday.

I’m incredibly thankful for everyone who has donated, shared or sent messages of support today. You’re all wonderful.

I want to be clear about what will happen to the money, as Robert is waiting for the final hearing date. We’re hopeful that the final costs won’t significantly exceed what the judge suggested this week (which was £21,300 in total) but I will leave this page up, and anything over the final amount will be donated to Action Aid.

£50K raised so far. Expected £20K fees rather than £100K.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I have no problem with cycling on the bridge, plenty of room for all, but I have to bite my tongue when someone dings their bell behind me. I am fully aware of my surroundings and know when a cyclist is coming up behind. If I don't move it will only be because the bridge is busy. They need to slow down and wait until they can get past.
Incidentally we didn't have this problem up til about 5 years ago, everybody seemed to stick to the unspoken rule that you walk or cycle to your left, meaning that spaces regularly open for cyclists to overtake pedestrians or pedestrians to overtake slower walkers. Now people just jumble all over the bridge and pavements meaning pedestrians, cyclists and scootists are continually weaving in and out of each other's way.
Very haphazard, no wonder people get aggravated in busy cities like London.
When people act like this the system breaks down and if the system breaks down, we break down.
Impressive, do you have radar or something? Bikes are pretty quiet, particularly when there is any other noise. I regularly cycle from my house to work along the towpath (the safest and most direct route) and it'd be impossible without a bell.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
I'm 100% with the cyclist on this one, and have donated to the Crowdfund towards his legal costs.

The stupid bimbo steps off the pavement staring at her phone, and then plays the victim. She's lucky it wasn't a car that hit her.

Incidentally, what is it about young women always 'on' their phones - I don't see blokes all constantly texting and yakking non-stop while they're walking, or on public transport, or queuing, or in the pub, but 99% of women under 30 today don't seem capable of doing anything if they're not on their phones - they seem to have a SIM card instead of a brain.

I walk as much as I can, and am getting ******-off seeing women with their faces buried in their phones, and the assumption that everyone else will get out of their way, because they're too dumb to actually look up and check their surroundings.

Personally, I'd like texting-while-walking to be outlawed (like it has been in some US states), but I realise it would probably not be practical or enforceable.

I was in London all day Friday and Saturday which was rammed with pedestrians - and was staggered at the amount of people (yep, mainly young women) face down in their phones walking around with absolutely no awareness of their surroundings. Even my wife, who is a bit of a mobile junkie at times, was amazed when I pointed it out to her. Theres a time and a place to be on a phone....& walking through central London amongst thousands of others isnt one of them.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Impressive, do you have radar or something? Bikes are pretty quiet, particularly when there is any other noise. I regularly cycle from my house to work along the towpath (the safest and most direct route) and it'd be impossible without a bell.

I’m blessed with ears and eyes. Very rarely would I not be aware of a cycle or person approaching from behind. It’s really not that hard is it?

Nobby's Whiskers

Feb 2, 2009
Very self important aren't you? I'm so grateful that we have your permission to use a designated cycle path.

I forget now, should we get off the roads and ride on the cyclepath, or is it bloody cyclists should stick to the road?

Anyway think I'll commute right along the middle of the A259 tomorrow instead. That long line of cars? Nah, they can wait until I decide to let them pass as it's my right of way...Wait your turn.

Courtesy anyone?

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Very self important aren't you? I'm so grateful that we have your permission to use a designated cycle path.

I forget now, should we get off the roads and ride on the cyclepath, or is it bloody cyclists should stick to the road?

Anyway think I'll commute right along the middle of the A259 tomorrow instead. That long line of cars? Nah, they can wait until I decide to let them pass as it's my right of way...Wait your turn.

Courtesy anyone?

Ok - I’m with the cyclist on this too but as a regular walker around London some of the antics of cyclists in the city leaves a hell of a lot to be desired and put those of us on foot at risk.

An example. Walking along Embankment towards Blackfriars there is a cycle lane where cyclists also have a left turn towards Fleet St. anyone walking has to cross the cycle path.

I was waiting to cross it the other day and would say no more than half the cyclists actually signalled to turn left before doing so. Hence you’re faced with having no idea where the cyclists were actually going to go. As a result I had to wait until there were no cyclists in sight before crossing it. A couple of near misses were avoided as people wrongly anticipated non signalling cyclists were going straight on when they actually turned left.

Slag off motorists all you like but at least they tend to indicate to tell people where they are going to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I was in London all day Friday and Saturday which was rammed with pedestrians - and was staggered at the amount of people (yep, mainly young women) face down in their phones walking around with absolutely no awareness of their surroundings. Even my wife, who is a bit of a mobile junkie at times, was amazed when I pointed it out to her. Theres a time and a place to be on a phone....& walking through central London amongst thousands of others isnt one of them.

It could be that they were using a map. I scarcely look at my phone when I'm out and about unless I'm somewhere strange and need a map. People don't seem to use A to Zs in London any more

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
It could be that they were using a map. I scarcely look at my phone when I'm out and about unless I'm somewhere strange and need a map. People don't seem to use A to Zs in London any more

Most with head phones in and walking pretty fast...most definitely didn't seem like map reading to me.
We had to stop and use Google maps a couple of times, so we stopped at the side and were also looking around at street signs, not just barreling along getting through the crowds as quick as possible.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I’m blessed with ears and eyes. Very rarely would I not be aware of a cycle or person approaching from behind. It’s really not that hard is it?

Well if you're facing them obviously, but good on you for not having headphones on unlike 75% of the people on the Leeds & Liverpool canal towpath.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Extraordinary. I am not a cyclist and indeed not overly fond of them at all times, but this seems utterly ridiculous. Surely the lady in question should be given the Darwin award as she didn't look, and the cyclist was not travelling very fast either.

Ridiculous decision. Mind you judges seem to make them more and more these days.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
Slag off motorists all you like but at least they tend to indicate to tell people where they are going to go.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!

That is the best laugh I’ve had in ages. You sir, are a comedy genius!

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
I’ll tell you what we need. We need to go back to the 70s/80s and the days of public information films and scare the absolute living shite out of folk.

Some dappy **** with headphones in, staring at their phone. Lorry coming. Person steps out. Bang. Screams. Fade to black.

Let’s be honest, who gets frisbees out of electricity sub stations or kites from pylons any more...?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I’ll tell you what we need. We need to go back to the 70s/80s and the days of public information films and scare the absolute living shite out of folk.

Some dappy **** with headphones in, staring at their phone. Lorry coming. Person steps out. Bang. Screams. Fade to black.

Let’s be honest, who gets frisbees out of electricity sub stations or kites from pylons any more...?
I haven't played with a threshing machine for years!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Ok - I’m with the cyclist on this too but as a regular walker around London some of the antics of cyclists in the city leaves a hell of a lot to be desired and put those of us on foot at risk.

An example. Walking along Embankment towards Blackfriars there is a cycle lane where cyclists also have a left turn towards Fleet St. anyone walking has to cross the cycle path.

I was waiting to cross it the other day and would say no more than half the cyclists actually signalled to turn left before doing so. Hence you’re faced with having no idea where the cyclists were actually going to go. As a result I had to wait until there were no cyclists in sight before crossing it. A couple of near misses were avoided as people wrongly anticipated non signalling cyclists were going straight on when they actually turned left.

I take it you have never visited Faversham. Most cars drive through town turing left and right and never signalling. Even taxis. On the other hand, cars sometimes pull left out of the 24 hour store near the station and then leave their left indicator on as they accelerate towards the left turn into town, only to carry on ahead and past the station. And some cane it across the zebra crossing, near missing pedestrians crossing from the station between stationary cars stuck on the other carriage. Absolute moronic drivers down here.

Basically, this country has a fair representation of morons in every walk of life. Frankly I'm sometimes astonished how few Plum Royales there are on NSC.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Well if you're facing them obviously, but good on you for not having headphones on unlike 75% of the people on the Leeds & Liverpool canal towpath.

You'd not hear me coming, on my bike, from behind, because I use lubrication.

Actually that doesn't read quite the way I intended it :facepalm:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto

Didn't Jimmy Savile used to be on them? I imagine that's what scared the living shite out of kids.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here