Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Any lawn smiths out there?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Unless your Red Thread is on a bowling green, I wouldn't worry too much. It tends to attack Fescue grasses (the needle-like ones), so all you need to do is to over-sow with a Ryegrass mix if it's so bad it's leaving bare patches. To "rough up" any bare areas and sprinkle a bit of Rye Grass mix will cost very little.
If it is on a bowling green or prize-winning lawn, an application of fungicide produced to kill that fungus, followed by an over-sowing of a Fescue mix would be my recommendation. Even then, dwarf Ryegrass is used on bowling greens so that's another consideration.

Hi, whilst you’re on, please can I ask. I didn’t have much luck with overseeding last autumn with a Ryegrass mix, nothing took. So:

1. Do you lightly cover with fine topsoil after overseeding?
2. Should the lawn be fed a few weeks beforehand?
3. What about watering or not post overseeding, especially if there’s a spell of dry weather?
4. How long before you can mow again (bearing in my mind that existing lawn around the patches will be getting too long)?

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
My clients have had a mixed experience of Green Thumb which is a franchise operation....success seems to vary from area to area in my experience

I thought the idea was to get the whole lawn looking good not just areas of it.
I would ask for my money back.

The answer to the OP is to lay artificial grass or do a Fred West and pave it over.
The Brits and their bloody lawns make me laugh, what you going to do play bowls on it or something.
Even if you do get it looking like the 18th at Wentworth, bet you can't keep it looking like that.
Waste of time.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Hi, whilst you’re on, please can I ask. I didn’t have much luck with overseeding last autumn with a Ryegrass mix, nothing took. So:

3. What about watering or not post overseeding, especially if there’s a spell of dry weather?
4. How long before you can mow again (bearing in my mind that existing lawn around the patches will be getting too long)?

Told you so.
Go down the pub instead.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Mid Sussex is turf growing country. A pallet of turf can be found much cheaper than you may think.

I think you will find that turf grows in every area of the country.
Go to any B&Q and buy a roll of artificial and while you are sitting in the sun you can shout 'mower wanker' over the fence to your neighbours.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
I thought the idea was to get the whole lawn looking good not just areas of it.
I would ask for my money back.

The answer to the OP is to lay artificial grass or do a Fred West and pave it over.
The Brits and their bloody lawns make me laugh, what you going to do play bowls on it or something.
Even if you do get it looking like the 18th at Wentworth, bet you can't keep it looking like that.
Waste of time.

If you re happy sitting in your concrete back yard good for you,

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
I think you will find that turf grows in every area of the country.
Go to any B&Q and buy a roll of artificial and while you are sitting in the sun you can shout 'mower wanker' over the fence to your neighbours.

mmm, bet your popular with your next door neighbours, still I expect they can’t hear you anyway over the din of their petrol driven machine:)

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

1. Now is an excellent time of year to do this. Lightly fork over, (just an inch or two) any bare areas. Knock the soil about with your fork to crumble it up. Sprinkle fresh grass seed over the areas. Work the seed in to the soil with your fork or a rake so that there is more seed buried than visible. Lightly firm these seeded areas, by the light use of your foot.
2. No need to feed, in fact this would harm the germinating seed. It would be like feeding a new-born baby with strong cider!
3. Lightly water so not to wash your good work away. Over the next month, don't let it dry out or water too much. You should see signs of germination in about two weeks.
4. Set your mower to cut at a height of 1". Ensure the blade(s) are sharp. You won't harm the new grass because it won't be tall enough to be cut yet. Unless you need your lawn very short for some strange reason, leave it at this height all the time. The new grass will soon blend in with the old.

Hope this is helpful?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
1. Now is an excellent time of year to do this. Lightly fork over, (just an inch or two) any bare areas. Knock the soil about with your fork to crumble it up. Sprinkle fresh grass seed over the areas. Work the seed in to the soil with your fork or a rake so that there is more seed buried than visible. Lightly firm these seeded areas, by the light use of your foot.
2. No need to feed, in fact this would harm the germinating seed. It would be like feeding a new-born baby with strong cider!
3. Lightly water so not to wash your good work away. Over the next month, don't let it dry out or water too much. You should see signs of germination in about two weeks.
4. Set your mower to cut at a height of 1". Ensure the blade(s) are sharp. You won't harm the new grass because it won't be tall enough to be cut yet. Unless you need your lawn very short for some strange reason, leave it at this height all the time. The new grass will soon blend in with the old.

Hope this is helpful?

Best reply to date imho

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Hollow tyne the lawn (HSS hire a petrol machine that is pretty good).
Apply Ferrous Sulphate to kill moss.
Apply lawn sand.
Apply a Spring feed.
Buy a robot lawn mower and keep the lawn well cut in the growing season, cuttings self mulch so promote a better lawn.

In the Autumn apply an Autumn feed.

My lawn has never looked better in late March and it will get a Spring feed next week to get it growing.

TNBA

TTF

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Hope this is helpful?

Cheers [MENTION=259]Jack Straw[/MENTION], that's very helpful, I'll get to it!!

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
[MENTION=259]Jack Straw[/MENTION] advice all good. Have always 'cured' red thread by feeding pretty successfully. Have found grass seed sowing in autumn to be disappointing. Grass seed has to be in contact with the soil to germinate successfully. Good luck.

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
Oh yes and grass seed has to be moist as well as in contact with soil.

The worst case of red tread I have had to deal with was on a fairly newly laid turf lawn (2 years) so maybe re-turfing could be an expensive disappointment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here