Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Graham Potter joins on four-year deal

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
It's a pretty important appointment for both him and us.

'Do you fancy a job - yeah, go on then' would worry me a little more. The fact that we are still talking makes me think it will happen.

I'm not so sure it makes me think it will happen, but it does make me think that he's taking his time about this in full recognition that he's in a strong position, and is exploring all avenues. That warms me to him even more.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I doubt he'll get those assurances from Swansea.
Or maybe they'll say there's money to spend, but then never actually but the players, making lame excuses.

I think he'd be a good appointment, but.... he really doesn't seem that keen to come here.
No idea. But if he gets interviewed here he still may not get the job, so he'd be unwise to tell Swansea to do one, only to have to go back without an offer from us. He's currently the Swansea manager, so it makes sense for him to be loyal to them and not be seen as too keen to leave.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
It's getting boring. I think, from all that's being said, this is what has happened:

Albion approach Swansea City, perhaps with a compensatory offer, for permission to speak to Potter

Swansea City decline.

Swansea City talk to Potter about this and then enter into dialogue about the plans and resources available in a bid to head off his potential interest in coming here. (Ongoing)

Potter will decide if he still wants to talk to Albion. His agent, or whoever, will obviously communicate that to Sussex.

Swansea City will haggle with Albion over what his services will cost in severance to the club.

Potter then has talks this end.

A decision and a settlement is reached if needed.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Hiring the manager would involve MILLIONS of pounds and agreeing terms with another 'business' and then several people, which is reliant on those people (and their families) almost certainly relocating, moving kids out of schools etc etc etc.

It's amazing how, in the football world, people forget that all this is really quite complex. Our manager left THIS WEEK and I'm seeing some people are questioning how long it's taken to get a replacement in.....when there is no fixture due for MONTHS:lolol:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Hiring the manager would involve MILLIONS of pounds and agreeing terms with another 'business' and then several people, which is reliant on those people (and their families) almost certainly relocating, moving kids out of schools etc etc etc.

It's amazing how, in the football world, people forget that all this is really quite complex. Our manager left THIS WEEK and I'm seeing some people are questioning how long it's taken to get a replacement in.....when there is no fixture due for MONTHS:lolol:

Given how clueless Tony Bloom has shown to be during his tenure is it any wonder people are questioning this :dunce:

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I think we need to be patient. There is a lot of due process, negotiation and politeness from all quarters that will be required if Potter comes to Brighton.

Nothing to read into the fact he hasn't already been pictured on the Amex pitch with a blue and white scarf held aloft.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I don't get why people think that it's not happening or that it's taking so long ... we haven't even spoken to him yet, There's no cause to worry about a delay,

As that great Danish manager, Hamlet, said: "If it be now, ’tis not to come. If it be not to come, it will be now. If it be not now, yet it will come"

We just have to wait and see

BHA007

Jan 13, 2013
Phil Neville cannot be a possible choice. The idea of sacking hughton was to allow manager, time to work with squad and new signings, neville has world cup with womens team. so he wont be able to start till July earliest.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
There are three vacancies to fill, not just the manager.

Good point.

When we signed Hyppia, it was originally with the understanding that his assistant, who actually knew a bit about football, would come with him.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Phil Neville cannot be a possible choice. The idea of sacking hughton was to allow manager, time to work with squad and new signings, neville has world cup with womens team. so he wont be able to start till July earliest.

There's no squad to work with until July when the players return for pre-season training, which is on or around the 1st.

The final of the Women's World Cup is on the 7th July.

(Note: I'm not saying I advocate Neville for the job, more that no one will be "working with the squad" for quite some time)

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
There's no squad to work with until July when the players return for pre-season training, which is on or around the 1st.

(Note: I'm not saying I advocate Neville for the job, more that no one will be "working with the squad" for quite some time)
But that is half the transfer window gone. Would he be allowed to work with the recruitment team prior to officially taking up the job

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Maybe not, but surely they'd be heavily involved in incomings and outgoings as soon as the window opens.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here