Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] who are your Albion cult heroes?

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

Big Eric Young - ungainly, leggy, sponge headband, moments of brilliance, wore contact lenses that came out every other game,
Hans Kraay - nutter, Dutch, nutter
John Crumplin - one stunning match, local lad
I really wanted Paddy McCourt to have done something to join this list!!!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Big Eric Young - ungainly, leggy, sponge headband, moments of brilliance, wore contact lenses that came out every other game,
Hans Kraay - nutter, Dutch, nutter
John Crumplin - one stunning match, local lad
I really wanted Paddy McCourt to have done something to join this list!!!

Eric Young FA Cup winner too, had his Brighton and Hove Albion kit bag burnt/shat in (can’t remember which) as he used it whilst at Wimbledon

Definitely a cult hero for using his BHA bag when at Wimbledon :thumbsup:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I have given this no thought .....because I don't need to.

Crumplin.

Absolutely. The Football Genius is the epitome of the term 'cult hero'. Probably only Alan Duffy and Hans Kraay come close in my 53 years of following Brighton.

And yes, just to join the O/T debate: Napier, Horton, Ward, Zamora, Lawrenson, etc aren't 'Cult Heroes', they're 'Legends'. There is a huge difference.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Lee Steele

swd40

Mar 22, 2006
Working on the principle that the cult hero has enthusiasm/recklessness/length of service inversely proportional to football ability, I give you - Phil Stant. Especially in substitute role charging about like a headless chicken with the staring eyes!
Non-player is Keith Cuss. Then Ron Pavey in semi-caricature form.
Far too good a player to really be here, but Dunk tackling with his head whilst laying flat on the ground has to appear high in some category list for single cult action.

Didnt Stant use his mad head, to tackle with as well once?
At the Withdean, during a game?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Didnt Stant use his mad head, to tackle with as well once?
At the Withdean, during a game?

No, that was some guy we had on loan for a few games. Short, bearded fella, can't remember his name ... something Thomas?

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
A list of cult players cannot include the likes of Ward, Zamora or even Nogan, these were our best players in various seasons so that is not cult.

Cult for me would include:

- Spanish Dave
- Peter Smith
- Bryan Wade

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Do you mean Rod Thomas?

I may have been whooshed here but he wasn’t on loan and I never saw him with a beard. I did see him get sent off for a full length finger tip brilliant save at Gillingham though :smile:

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
No, that was some guy we had on loan for a few games. Short, bearded fella, can't remember his name ... something Thomas?

martin thomas- think he was a defensive midfielder who had played under adams at fulham

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I may have been whooshed here but he wasn’t on loan and I never saw him with a beard. I did see him get sent off for a full length brilliant save at Gillingham though :smile:

He was short though! To be fair, I thought it was a decent guess given what Gwylan gave us to work with!

We did have a lad on loan from Man City called Scott Thomas, but I don't think he had a beard.

Martin Thomas joined us from Swansea, but that was on a short-term contract (not a loan).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here