Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Saturday - bad vibes in the family area

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Wonderful. That will go down well if Cardiff are leading and we are going down.

In May 17 lots of Chelsea fans had sneaked into various places around the Hawthorns, and were attacked as they celebrated their goals and title. Shown on TV at the time.

I wonder of the genteel folk of Sussex will refrain from all that and simply admire/clap Citeh the greatest club team/squad there’s ever been?

Sue1983

Aug 15, 2018
I don't condone any abuse to other supporters whether home or away fans (banter is fine but not abuse) but you need to be very, very discreet if you are an away supporter in the home end even if it is the family stand.

I sat in the Millwall end in the 1/4 final this year as I didn't have enough points for the away end and B/F is a Millwall supporter ( I know, I know)

I had my shirt on under two or 3 other layers (plus a coat) so no one would have ever had known and I just kept my head down, pretending I was a neutral I was crying inside when they scored with everyone around me jumping up and down. And jumping for joy inside when we scored our two goals and then won on penalties when they were all shaking their heads in disbelief. But my point is I just wouldn't have said anything, or portrayed any emotions to suggest I was a BHA fan as I was in the home end and not the away. I so wanted to join in with the celebrations with those in the away end but I couldn't and wouldn't. On the outside I was a neutral when on the inside I am and always will be Blue and White.

To top it all I then had to queue up for the train and travel on the train up to London Bridge with the Millwall fans without being able to say a thing or jump up and down celebrating.

I don't ever think I will go in the away end again - it was horrible - not because of the Millwall fans (as the ones around me were great, they took defeat on the chin, they had just enjoyed the ride) but because I never ever want to be in a position I can't cheer our boys on especially when they score.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Surely the problem here is kids at games..??

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Hi all - first time poster here

I traveled over from Worthing for the match on Saturday with a group of friends/family. There were 11 of us in total. We try to get together for the Brighton-Newcastle match each year. Something that started when both teams were in the Championship. Our group was mainly Brighton fans, 3 x Newcastle fans (including myself) plus a couple of neutrals. As a large group with 4 kids, we booked group tickets in the family section (E1H)

It started out as a great day - sun was shining and there was a brilliant atmosphere in and around the ground after the Cardiff result.

Unfortunately, things took a bit of a nasty turn. I don't know what the trigger was - the few Newcastle fans in our group were certainly not vocal. However, a guy in a neighbouring seat overheard a discussion and twigged that a few of our group were Newcastle supporters. From that point on he completely lost it. Started shouting that we were "not eff'ing welcome", should not be there and should get out. We tried to explain that we were just a group of friends there to watch the match together with our kids, but he wouldn't let it go. He continued through the rest of the first half shouting that he had paid good money for his seats and we had "completely ruined his day out"

During half-time it seems there was some plotting because as the game resumed, he had swapped seats with another guy. They seemed to be together - I think they were related - not sure. Anyway this guy had been brought in to emphasise exactly how unwelcome we were. He spent the 2nd half screaming anti-Newcastle chants in our ears. "Go on Brighton, kill them !" that kind of thing. We managed to ignore most of it - but it became a pretty unpleasant atmosphere

It was my daughter's first time at a match, and she really enjoyed it initially. But having having felt the animosity and hearing the abuse hurled by this guy for the whole of the 2nd half, she's really not keen to return. I have to say everyone else we met on the day was great - but our encounter with this guy and his mates / family really soured the experience.

The point of my post is to see if this guy was right ? I always think of the family section as more of a laid-back area - where it would be OK for a mixed group of fans to watch the match together. I could understand such a reaction in one of the other stands - especially at this stage of the season with tensions mounting. But in the family stand with kids … it seemed a bit of an OTT reaction ? But perhaps I'm wrong ? Would be interested to hear other views

PS - really pleased for Brighton. The draw was a fair result after the 2nd half-revival and (fingers-crossed) that point will see the club safe in the PL.

Swearing in the Family stand should not be tolerated by stewarding. Remember my first and only experience in the Family stand at Withdean where I had a difference of opinion with the ref, and although the ref did not send me to the pitch, a Steward (quite rightly) reminded me where I was, immediately the penny dropped, and I was mortified with what I was saying. Where my abuse was aimed at someone who almost certainly could not hear, this guy sounds a bit of an idiot.

Sorry for your experience, there are some idiots out there. Did my first visit to St James Park this season, and was one of the best away days (weekends) I have ever had - cracking city (result obviously helped). Great city, good fans.

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
That 3-3 at Birmingham was some game. Getting pelted with stuff from the upper tier less fun but hey ho.

I miss away games like that these days......obviously not being pelted by stuff, but the drama and goals, etc.

Was a cracker that one, pretty sure Munday scored ANOTHER wonder goal that day

maglers

Apr 26, 2011
Really sorry to hear this. I'm ashamed of two of our fans if this is the way they behaved. Against all teams it had to be
Newcastle - possibly the club with the best-natured fans in the divisions.

Not the experience I had in East Upper on Saturday. I put my son’s seat on the exchange and it was sold to a Newcastle fan (how is that allowed, Paul - feel free to DM me). His mate sat in the row in front. All was fine until Brighton scored. I encouraged them to at least stand up and one of them turned to me and said if I touched him again (I’d tapped him on the shoulder to get his attention) he would break my f***ing neck. I suggested he might want to go and sit with the away fans (I may not have used those exact words but that was the sentiment...).

Anyway at the final whistle he turned round, grabbed me by the collar with both hands and said:”Welcome to the Championship you f***ing mug.” A strange thing to say obviously because we aren’t quite there yet. Goes to show there are idiots supporting all clubs.

boik

Not the experience I had in East Upper on Saturday. I put my son’s seat on the exchange and it was sold to a Newcastle fan (how is that allowed, Paul - feel free to DM me). His mate sat in the row in front. All was fine until Brighton scored. I encouraged them to at least stand up and one of them turned to me and said if I touched him again (I’d tapped him on the shoulder to get his attention) he would break my f***ing neck. I suggested he might want to go and sit with the away fans (I may not have used those exact words but that was the sentiment...).

Anyway at the final whistle he turned round, grabbed me by the collar with both hands and said:”Welcome to the Championship you f***ing mug.” A strange thing to say obviously because we aren’t quite there yet. Goes to show there are idiots supporting all clubs.

Why did you have to encourage them to stand up ? Why not just leave them be?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Nope, guy is obviously a complete headcase. You and everyone else in your group did no wrong. Don’t let it put you off next time and just report him to stewards or as is my preferred way of dealing with such oinks, take outside and beat him to a pulp. Just saying like... :)

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I don't condone any abuse to other supporters whether home or away fans (banter is fine but not abuse) but you need to be very, very discreet if you are an away supporter in the home end even if it is the family stand.

I sat in the Millwall end in the 1/4 final this year as I didn't have enough points for the away end and B/F is a Millwall supporter ( I know, I know)

I had my shirt on under two or 3 other layers (plus a coat) so no one would have ever had known and I just kept my head down, pretending I was a neutral I was crying inside when they scored with everyone around me jumping up and down. And jumping for joy inside when we scored our two goals and then won on penalties when they were all shaking their heads in disbelief. But my point is I just wouldn't have said anything, or portrayed any emotions to suggest I was a BHA fan as I was in the home end and not the away. I so wanted to join in with the celebrations with those in the away end but I couldn't and wouldn't. On the outside I was a neutral when on the inside I am and always will be Blue and White.

To top it all I then had to queue up for the train and travel on the train up to London Bridge with the Millwall fans without being able to say a thing or jump up and down celebrating.

I don't ever think I will go in the away end again - it was horrible - not because of the Millwall fans (as the ones around me were great, they took defeat on the chin, they had just enjoyed the ride) but because I never ever want to be in a position I can't cheer our boys on especially when they score.
I had a similar experience at the Hereford game all those years ago, not being able to celebrate was so difficult.......but I'm still glad I went.

:)

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

In that magical moment of a rare Albion goal and our euphoria, what came over you in busy-bodying with complete strangers?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
In that magical moment of a rare Albion goal and our euphoria, what came over you in busy-bodying with complete strangers?

Got to say...this! I’d just enjoy the moment myself. It’s pretty rare after all.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Not the sort we want in ESU :moo:

wealdgull

NSC Patron
Dec 7, 2017
Surprised to get this far in to the thread and not find someone pointing out that E1H isn't actually family stand, it's only E1G at the southern end.

Sue1983

Aug 15, 2018
I had a similar experience at the Hereford game all those years ago, not being able to celebrate was so difficult.......but I'm still glad I went.

:)

Being in with the home fans was 'horrible' but I wouldn't have missed it for the world. Although I wasn't thinking that at the 85 min. How quickly things can change from misery to euphoria. So glad the B/F could get me a ticket!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here