Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Graham Potter joins on four-year deal

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
He was manager of Östersund in Sweden for 8 years, and took them from the fourth tier to the top division, won the cup and beat Arsenal at the Emirates in the Europa League last season, unlucky to go out in the 2nd leg.

Club could do much worse.

I was lucky enough to see his Ostersunds team beat Arsenal at a half-empty Emirates (I was given a pair of tickets by a mate who literally couldn’t get rid of them). They were superb, pressed Arsenal high and worked unbelievably hard. It was incredibly impressive to see live and if we got him and played a similar style, fans should be a lot happier*.

*providing things go well...

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
I was lucky enough to see his Ostersunds team beat Arsenal at a half-empty Emirates (I was given a pair of tickets by a mate who literally couldn’t get rid of them). They were superb, pressed Arsenal high and worked unbelievably hard. It was incredibly impressive to see live and if we got him and played a similar style, fans should be a lot happier*.

If that is his style then the door beckons for Murray, Stephens, Gross and Propper. None would be capable of that style IMO.

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby

Problem is I dont think the players we have can do all that running around , most of them seemed to lack the fitness for a normal 90 mins let alone one where they have to run around all the time. Add in to that half the players (Knocky , Locadia in particular) rarely chased every ball down when they lost it in attack and usually jogged back into position.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
If that is his style then the door beckons for Murray, Stephens, Gross and Propper. None would be capable of that style IMO.

If James Milner and Jordan Henderson can become fairly vital cogs in Klopp’s geggenpress system, I wouldn’t write them off yet. However, you’d imagine if the club are serious about progressing Murray will not be relied on so heavily next year.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016

Pressing high and working hard? You don't think they can do that?

That's the easy part of football, if you're coached well. The hard bit is where we struggle.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Anyone remember when De Boer took over at Palace and tried to get their existing players to play an expansive style?
I don't recall it being a huge success.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Problem is I dont think the players we have can do all that running around , most of them seemed to lack the fitness for a normal 90 mins let alone one where they have to run around all the time. Add in to that half the players (Knocky , Locadia in particular) rarely chased every ball down when they lost it in attack and usually jogged back into position.

Ostersunds basically shared 50% of the possession with a possession-based Arsène Wenger side though. It’s always less tiring if you aren’t chasing the ball and not holding on to it. What impressed me most is this team that shouldn’t have had a hope in hell on paper, contained well, retained the ball when necessary and picked their moments to attack superbly.

I would have predicted big changes in the squad regardless of the current situation but wouldn’t be surprised to see some of the longer serving players go and be replaced by faster, younger models.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes

I think that's a bit harsh on Knocky. There are times when he gets frustrated and 'gives up', throwing his arms up etc. But most of the time he works his socks off chasing back.

In general, the right manager, fitness regime and judicious recruitment can turn any team into a pressing , hard working one. Take an example from Sunday - Mahrez. He came to City with a skilful but lazy reputation. I noted how he chased back and won the ball deep in the 2nd half - Pep doesn't put up with anything else.

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
Anyone remember when De Boer took over at Palace and tried to get their existing players to play an expansive style?

He only managed about 5 games before the club gave him the boot? Maybe he was a dud but that’s hardly a fair comparison.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I think that's a bit harsh on Knocky. There are times when he gets frustrated and 'gives up', throwing his arms up etc. But most of the time he works his socks off chasing back.

In general, the right manager, fitness regime and judicious recruitment can turn any team into a pressing , hard working one. Take an example from Sunday - Mahrez. He came to City with a skilful but lazy reputation. I noted how he chased back and won the ball deep in the 2nd half - Pep doesn't put up with anything else.
Before his injury, Izquierdo was also EXCELLENT at tracking back and putting tackles in. Really hope he can get back to full fitness as he could be a massive asset to that style of play. Or any style of play actually.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Quite.

If we lose like Palace did, I would hope Tony would be as ruthless as he has been with Chris.

I realise I need to move on, but I am still really unhappy about this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here