Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Chris Hughton leaves with immediate effect

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Here Chris are a bunch of players we have selected for you. If you don’t get them to play very well and end up fighting relegation then it’s your fault and you will be sacked.
Thanks very much.
Chris - a lot of us on here are totally depressed by how you have been treated by our football club - oh wait, it’s not ours any more.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Am very saddened by this.

Huge decision by the club and whoever comes in has enormous shoes to fill. Am also in the "be careful what you wish for camp", but suspect that this may be alleviated by the choice of successor. Hey ho, nowt I can do about it but wait and see. :(

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Surprised! Shocked even......
As I heared someone say yesterday, if we had had a rotten first half of the season and rallied to escape the drop - we would be calling him a hero.

He is, I believe , one of the best we have had . Is he blamed for the disappointing form of some new players? I am sure recruiting is not solely on him.

Anyway, who the hell else are we going to get who can do better?

We will have wait and see, won't we?
You seem to be a very 'glass half-empty' kind of chap/chapess.
I reckon the Albion is a pretty attractive set up for an ambitious and talented manager, Don't you?

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Think its the right decision and at the right time but still feel saddened now that Hughton has actually gone. A big week or so beckons. I presume we have someone lined up and I hope its a good choice....

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Here Chris are a bunch of players we have selected for you. If you don’t get them to play very well and end up fighting relegation then it’s your fault and you will be sacked.
Thanks very much.
Chris - a lot of us on here are totally depressed by how you have been treated by our football club - oh wait, it’s not ours any more.

If that is what happened, then I am sure Chris would have walked in the summer anyway, no? Who wants to work for a club where you have no say in signings

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade
On a personal level I feel for CH but, having had the time to digest the news and read the spread of opinions on here, I can see the sense in the decision (I think) from Bloom's point of view. Like it or not, football is a business and an investment for TB. He has to do what he can to protect that.

I don't doubt that it was a very difficult call, but TB is used to making them and a lot of the time gets them spot on. CH worked wonders with the club, the team and he will quite rightly go down as a legendary manager of our football club. I was never 'Hughton out' and I'm still not totally convinced this is the right way to go, but look at the bigger picture and the club is trying to get to the next level. New captain, new squad (I'm guessing a lot of the Championship gang will follow Chris and Bruno out of the door), new structure in place, so it stands to reason that a new manager would come in to oversee all that.

I still feel sorry for Chris though, but I have zero doubts he will walk into another club and I wish him all the best wherever he turns up.
This is exactly how I feel.

If you are ambitious, and Tony Bloom is, he couldn't sit on his hands IMHO.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
How long should a lovely, nice, family, tinpot, know your place club like Brighton keep a manager? The average time at the helm for the profession is less than piloting a sopworth camel so 5 years seems pretty decent by comparison to every other club that’s criticising us currently. You know, all the others who typically sack theirs after 18 months or less. A lot of hypocrisy about on other media platforms today!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I understand why Bloom felt he had to part company with Hughton and his backroom team. We dodged a bullet this season with 3 very poor sides below us in Cardiff, Fulham and Hudds and 36 points would get you relegated most seasons. Away from has been abysmal for 2 seasons, the goals were drying up - particularly from open play.

That said, is Graham Potter the right man to take us forward? It's a huge gamble. His style is based on possession and speed but in the Prem it is hard to retain the ball and play with pace. His away form with Swansea was mediocre and they had one of the worst defences for conceding from set pieces, but they did finish with 18 point from their final 9 matches and gave City on of their biggest tests of the season in the Cup Q/F.

This will be a significant adjustment in style of play and it's difficult to see how the likes of Gross, Murray, Ali J, Stephens will fit in. If it is Potter I fully expect loads of comings and goings, in which case we need every single day of the off-season that we have to assemble the new squad.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
Thanks very much.

Explain ‘not ours any more.’

In terms of ownership, it’s never been ‘ours’. In terms of choosing to support the club it’s always been ours.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Think its the right decision and at the right time but still feel saddened now that Hughton has actually gone. A big week or so beckons. I presume we have someone lined up and I hope its a good choice....

I can see Bloom taking his time over a new appointment. Maybe a month unless he has singled somebody out already.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I can see Bloom taking his time over a new appointment. Maybe a month unless he has singled somebody out already.

I can almost guarantee he's got someone in mind – maybe even an agreement in place. It wouldn't surprise me if he/they made this decision months ago.

Jan 26, 2015
Berkshire
This is exactly how I feel.

If you are ambitious, and Tony Bloom is, he couldn't sit on his hands IMHO.

You could argue that it's actually not a purely business-led decision. We're on the gravy train and it makes little difference financially where we finish as long as we're above the bottom three. A safer option would have been to provide Chris with players who are better suited to his style of play. This is a larger gamble, especially if we go with Potter, that seems to be more related to the type of football Bloom wants us to play. Bloom and Barber must be aware that this sort of change has generally been less than successful for #clubs like Brighton. If it's successful then we'll end up being a Bournemouth, Southampton, Watford type club, if not then we're Stoke, Swansea, etc.

dibsy

Jul 26, 2004
Shoreham By Sea
Chris has been fabulous for us and I will always love him for what he has done. A true gent.
But I think the players had had enough of the defensive tactics, I suspect Tony had a word with some of the players and had feedback to that effect. I also think Ashworth would have had a big part in the decision. I reckon Chris suspected this may happen and he had really ramped up the 'clubs of our size' comments. Regardless of who we brought in during the summer I don't think Tony could see the team buying in to playing for Chris and that would have forced his hand.
I'd like to see a thorough overhaul of the team and recruitment policy. If it turns out to be a bad decision so be it, but I don't see Tony had any alternative.
And it is very exciting.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Explain ‘not ours any more.’

In terms of ownership, it’s never been ‘ours’. In terms of choosing to support the club it’s always been ours.

My point was that I feel the club has lost its identify with its supporters and there are so many layers of management between the support and the team - of course we have never actually OWNED it and we all have a choice. Isn’t that obvious?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here