Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] A footballing disgrace at Plymouth?

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
I've just been watching the highlights of the Plymouth vs Scunthorpe game. What a disgrace! Or maybe the "play to the whistle" crowd might disagree.

The Argyle goalie made a simple catch of a harmless cross. After he caught it, all the players turned away to head back up the field, attack over. But the goalie, Macey, signalled to the ref that he was injured and put the ball down on the six yard line. The game wasn't stopped, however, so Macey instead tried to throw the ball out for a Scunthorpe throw, as he couldn't kick, so he could get treatment. But Morris of Scunthorpe had other ideas and stopped the ball just before it crossed the touchline and shot it back over the keeper and into the net to make it 2-2. The goalie couldn't continue and had to be substituted.

I know that there was a lot at stake, but if I was a Scunthorpe fan I'd be feeling sick over that behaviour. Not sporting at all. But Plymouth had the last laugh by getting a third - until they found out their 3-2 win wasn't enough as they were down on goal difference.

https://www.skysports.com/football/plymouth-vs-scunthorpe/393642

Last edited:

Foul Play Rocks

Feb 23, 2013
Not very sporting but rules is rules I guess. Could he not of simply sat down with the ball?

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Not very sporting and sad to hear that Plymouth have been relegated to league 2 but not as shocked and sad at how low Notts Country have fallen out of the EFL for the first time ever, a club that has a heritage spanning in over 150 years! I remember them beating us at Wembley to clich promotion to the top flight they played us off the park that day

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Or rolled it out for a corner if not capable of getting it out for a throw.

Still utterly disgraceful though and unlike Bielsa their coach didn't insist on balancing it up.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Not very sporting and sad to hear that Plymouth have been relegated to league 2 but not as shocked and sad at how low Notts Country have fallen out of the EFL for the first time ever, a club that has a heritage spanning in over 150 years! I remember them beating us at Wembley to clich promotion to the top flight they played us off the park that day

Not as clear as you make out. They 'scored' from a corner that they won from a kick that their player clearly put out and we hit the woodwork twice. On another day the roles would have been reversed.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Not very sporting but rules is rules I guess. Could he not of simply sat down with the ball?
Would he then get booked for holding on to the ball for too long?

Foul Play Rocks

Feb 23, 2013
Would he then get booked for holding on to the ball for too long?

He went down on one knee like a boxer, waved to the ref and then promptly stood up to throw the ball away which is probably where the confusion started because if he’d stayed down with his hand in the air then everyone would of known that he needed attention.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
He went down on one knee like a boxer, waved to the ref and then promptly stood up to throw the ball away which is probably where the confusion started because if he’d stayed down with his hand in the air then everyone would of known that he needed attention.

Having seen the incident on Sky - albeit only once - he under-arm threw the ball out for a throw in and there were no Plymouth players near to the ball. The Scunthorpe player ran to intercept the ball near the line and then lobbed the keeper. He should have let the ball go off.
Looked pretty appalling behaviour by the player.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I've very little sympathy. If there's an issue, tell the ref and let them control the situation. I'm a tad sick of all this crap about having to put the ball out of play. Most of the time it has nothing to do with actual injuries but it's merely a time wasting tactic.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012

I remember the Wembley match , not so much played as off the park but bullied us off the park in typical Warnock style

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I've very little sympathy. If there's an issue, tell the ref and let them control the situation. I'm a tad sick of all this crap about having to put the ball out of play. Most of the time it has nothing to do with actual injuries but it's merely a time wasting tactic.

Completely and utterly this. The players have brought all this crap on themselves with feigning injury to gain an advantage or stop an opposition attack. The number of times you see a player rolling around in apparent agony, then seemingly miraculously recovering when they realise no free kick was given is ridiculous.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Bang out of order - end of. No excuse for what the player did.

Foul Play Rocks

Feb 23, 2013
Having seen the incident on Sky - albeit only once - he under-arm threw the ball out for a throw in and there were no Plymouth players near to the ball. The Scunthorpe player ran to intercept the ball near the line and then lobbed the keeper. He should have let the ball go off.
Looked pretty appalling behaviour by the player.

It was very unsportsmanlike and you’d assume that the Scunthorpe player realised the situation and knew exactly what he was doing however if the ref doesn’t blow his whistle then play continues. He is surely partly culpable.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Completely and utterly this. The players have brought all this crap on themselves with feigning injury to gain an advantage or stop an opposition attack. The number of times you see a player rolling around in apparent agony, then seemingly miraculously recovering when they realise no free kick was given is ridiculous.

As in life, and other sports, football evolves. So when there is a genuine case, as this was, there is no excuse for unsporting conduct. Even the Scunny chairman has apologised.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patreon
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA

So Notts Country and Notts County are Notts Landing in the same division? I hope they never clich anything in the EFL again and they get relegated to the MLS and must match up again with FC Dallas.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
The game should be played to the rules; the rules were changed for potentially serious injuries like head injuries and the game is now stopped. I wouldn't like to see a game that stops every time a player says they have an injury.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012

Yep Matt Ritchie did it last week , I remember a Liverpool player doing it as well , it’s just a time wasting ploy ,

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here