Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] OT - Cocker Spaniels

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
Er, that's a picture of a Cocker Spaniel?

Not according to a search engine of your choice, how about these:

sussex spaniel 2.jpg

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Not according to a search engine of your choice, how about these:

View attachment 108475
Yeah they look like Sussex Spaniels, although I'm certainly no expert. But the first one looks like the Cocker I've had for the last 15 years. Although it looks like a boy. Have you got a link to where the picture is from?

ShanklySeagull

Justice for the 96...
May 30, 2011
Littlehampton
FB_IMG_1556488047774.jpg

You want a Newfoundland...needs minimal exercise and are gentle giants - fantastic temperaments.

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
Yeah they look like Sussex Spaniels, although I'm certainly no expert. But the first one looks like the Cocker I've had for the last 15 years. Although it looks like a boy. Have you got a link to where the picture is from?

Just right-click the image and select "search Google for image"

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Just right-click the image and select "search Google for image"
That's not an option on any browser I've got. Could you post the link?

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...

Sorry (older person alert). I google Sussex spaniel and this was the cutest pic that came up (Yahoo Search), I have to admit it doesn't look like the others.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Sorry (older person alert). I google Sussex spaniel and this was the cutest pic that came up (Yahoo Search), I have to admit it doesn't look like the others.
No worries :) So you're recommendation is for a Cocker Spaniel :D

Having a dog that's called a Sussex Spaniel would be cool, but apparently they're a bit barky, and not really what I'm after.

Gary Hart's Stalker

Jul 17, 2013
Gary Hart's Bush
Shame so many people buy from breeders.
Check out rescue dogs and get a feel for an individual dog that really needs help rather than going by breed.
Cocker Spaniels have eye problems and arse problems. Problems that get worse with breeding.

Not if you buy from health tested parents.

If you do Facebook, I would recommend joining the "Health Tested Cocker Spaniels and Stud Dogs UK" page. You can post on there what you are looking for, i.e. working or show strain, your location, how far you are willing to travel, if you want puppy now or in a few months etc, and breeders can contact you.

Obviously make sure you do due diligence and check what the breeder is saying is correct (health tests can be check on the Kennel Club website).

Expect to pay around £800 to £950 for a working cocker from health tested parents. I'm not sure how much show cocker puppies cost.

Good luck with your search.

JonnyCLately

Jan 16, 2018
Shoreham by sea
I've got three Cockers, studied the breed before dipping in. Our eldest is 11 and he is my 12 year old's best mate. A few years earlier my wife had a rescue Dalmation when I met her - this dog bit a chunk of my finger clean of - bone and all. Wasn't aggressive but none the less we were very very wary. I have to say that as far as I trust dogs in general I trust these three implicitly.

They require minimal exercise but will cope with long walks perfectly fine, aren't yappy annoying sorts. I would vouch for Cockers all day long - I love love love them to bits

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
We got Rocco from Wadars rescue in Lancing . . . . Patterdales aren't a pure breed, just a type, and ours is a little long legged by Patterdale standards, so possibly a bit of whippet or Collie in there he's also bereft of the scruffy thin overcoat, which seems to be an optional extra.. . . . either way a heinz 57 dog, or what was commonly referred to as a mongrel until it became hip to call crossbreeds trendy names seem to be fitter and tougher than a lot of purebreeds as they've all become so inbred. . . I've seen all sorts in the last few years since becoming a dog owner again . . . epileptic retriever, and those stupid French bulldog things that can't breath so only move in slow motion.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Not if you buy from health tested parents.
Of course I support those rescuing pets, but often you won't have a clue how old they are, what their parents were like, what traumatic experiences they've had etc. Those things are particularly important if you have young children.

If you do Facebook, I would recommend joining the "Health Tested Cocker Spaniels and Stud Dogs UK" page.
Done, thanks.
Expect to pay around £800 to £950 for a working cocker from health tested parents. I'm not sure how much show cocker puppies cost.
Do you have some involvement with working cockers then?

Good luck with your search.
Thanks, and thanks for the advice.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It’s funny how differently we all react. We lost our 16 year old mongrel in January. Although I have nearly always had a dog I cannot bring myself to even consider getting another dog yet. I will get another one but not for a while yet.

No right or wrong, we are all different.

I am still gutted by her passing :down:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
They require minimal exercise but will cope with long walks perfectly fine, aren't yappy annoying sorts. I would vouch for Cockers all day long - I love love love them to bits
Same, which is why I'm after another. I do, however, realise there are loads and loads of wonderful dogs out there, which is why I asked about alternatives.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It’s funny how differently we all react. We lost our 16 year old mongrel in January. Although I have nearly always had a dog I cannot bring myself to even consider getting another dog yet.
My wife's been asking for another for a good 6 months, long before ours passed, as ours was no longer able to go out running. I've been adamant we won't get another for now, but she won't stop going on about it. She was chilling on the sofa yesterday and I asked if I could get her anything (I was aiming at cup of tea level) and she just replied 'a dog'. Little does she know I'm taking her to see some puppies this afternoon.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
My wife's been asking for another for a good 6 months, long before ours passed, as ours was no longer able to go out running. I've been adamant we won't get another for now, but she won't stop going on about it. She was chilling on the sofa yesterday and I asked if I could get her anything (I was aiming at cup of tea level) and she just replied 'a dog'. Little does she know I'm taking her to see some puppies this afternoon.

Difficult one. I guess if my wife was insisting I’d run with it too. On this occasion we are singing from the same hymn sheet. She wants a small handbag dog like a Chihuahua or miniature dachshund next time. I like both breeds but am not too happy at having to walk a dog like that :smile:

A French Bulldog would be a compromise

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here