Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Hughton

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
..... the board need to accept the Championship winning squad is wear and tearing now and we need more significant spending, otherwise it won’t matter who the manager is

Is the key point.

In the PL, good performances have been rarer this season, we’ve gone backwards.

Time to invest heavily in first team centre midfielders, and possibly upfront too.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I couldn't give a f*ck about palarse, or manure, priority is seemingly league status, Given it's the financial lifeblood of the business. I love the fa cup, and obviously chuffed we've got this far. However we've gone backwards this season, this years form suggests we are probably going to get relegated!

We beat Man Utd again, we beat our rivals twice, we're in an FA Cup semi which will be watched around the world, we're probably not going to get relegated and - did I mention? - we beat our rivals twice.

Sorry we didn't beat the Chelsea billionaires. We were never going to. We never do.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Because we're not the people who hire the replacement. Because the person you suggest may end up being just as bad. What people are actually calling for is a change, a new approach will come from whoever you bring in instead, so who is not that important, they will be 'not Hughton' which by it's nature brings that change. At each level of the football table, there's a certain level of manager you have access to. We have survived in the premier league for a season, have a great set up, with a new stadium, and owner willing to back his manager. We are a team that at this point would be able to get the sort of manager who has aspirations of growing a premier league side and the ability to do so; we are a team that would expect applications or interest from a number of managers who wouldn't have looked at us in the championship, but now could just about keep us up like Hughton, but perhaps with a different approach. We're not a struggling league one team, playing in an athletics track any more. The managerial merrygoround woll always offer alternatives.

Also, if it doesn't matter that their suggestion isn't even considered by the club, if it doesn't matter that their suggestion isn't any good, why bother with the question at all? If they say 'Replace him with Danny McBride' how does that make their call for change more valid? It's a suggestion. It's a terrible one, but at least they've given a name, right?

Justify why they shouldn't stay - absolutely. Name a manager's replacement? Meaningless.
Obviously i am never going to be in your side of the argument but you put your points across very well from a footballing perspective. However, there are too much riches at risk to go into the unknown. TB
invested millions of his own money into the club. This is the first Manager who has shown him a financial return on his investment. Why would he put that at risk ?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
YES! we are cannon fodder and we will continue to be next year! Look at that smug wanker at Bournemouth, yes he’s spent silly money and they should never have been able to get away with it but he plays a WATCHABLE style of football. Hughton bless him, is out of control now and it’s not going to get any better with Ashworth pulling the strings. I just feel that the summer could be the time for Chris to walk, that’s all.

But you're 'not for a second criticising' him. That's alright then...

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Is the key point.

In the PL, good performances have been rarer this season, we’ve gone backwards.

Time to invest heavily in first team centre midfielders, and possibly upfront too.

The way we've been playing recently we look unlikely to gain any more points this season. Cardiff on the other hand have actually been playing quite well and should have had three points on Saturday.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Because we're not the people who hire the replacement. Because the person you suggest may end up being just as bad. What people are actually calling for is a change, a new approach will come from whoever you bring in instead, so who is not that important, they will be 'not Hughton' which by it's nature brings that change. At each level of the football table, there's a certain level of manager you have access to. We have survived in the premier league for a season, have a great set up, with a new stadium, and owner willing to back his manager. We are a team that at this point would be able to get the sort of manager who has aspirations of growing a premier league side and the ability to do so; we are a team that would expect applications or interest from a number of managers who wouldn't have looked at us in the championship, but now could just about keep us up like Hughton, but perhaps with a different approach. We're not a struggling league one team, playing in an athletics track any more. The managerial merrygoround woll always offer alternatives.

Also, if it doesn't matter that their suggestion isn't even considered by the club, if it doesn't matter that their suggestion isn't any good, why bother with the question at all? If they say 'Replace him with Danny McBride' how does that make their call for change more valid? It's a suggestion. It's a terrible one, but at least they've given a name, right?

Justify why they shouldn't stay - absolutely. Name a manager's replacement? Meaningless.

We're not the people who fire the incumbent, either...

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Obviously i am never going to be in your side of the argument but you put your points across very well from a footballing perspective. However, there are too much riches at risk to go into the unknown. TB
invested millions of his own money into the club. This is the first Manager who has shown him a financial return on his investment. Why would he put that at risk ?

Because Pardew is available.

If TB dithers at this key juncture, we’ll miss the chance to appoint him.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Well if he keeps giving the same old pre-match interviews where he praises the opposition to the hilt and says how good they are then we should definitely fire him :)
Seriously though i have been wavering with whether he should go since the start of this February - he has made some terrible tactical decisions this year - playing so negatively at home against bottom half teams - much worse than last season. Now what i would LOVE to KNOW..

What do Houghton and TB discuss about the future. Does TB say like "well sorry chris, this is your budget you just have to do your best with what weve got - i spent a LOT of money getting us here and want to stay in the PL so am happy to settle for survival?" or is it "Ok Chris,. i know youve done really good for us and we are still learning so i'll give you some time to get the team to gel?" or in breif is Chris walking a tightrope to survive or are his hands tied in what he can try?

You really need spell check and some punctuation and capital letters on what ever device you sent this from.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Do you think we have improved from last season? I don’t.

No but I think we have attempted to play a more attacking open style of play. It hasn't quite worked as yet but i am hopeful that it will, especially if we can sign some higher quality players. We are still on track to stay in the Premier League and we have an FA cup final to show for our efforts.

Do you think that we are now slipping behind the plan and CH is failing in his objectives?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
The real irony behind the "Hughton out" stuff is if we were relegated there would be no better manager for that level and getting us back into the Premier League than Hughton himself. It's unarguably what he is best at.

So keep Hughton if we go down but sack him if we stay up......... mmm interesting.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Why would he put that at risk ?

I think it’s very much at risk at the moment. I’m not sure changing the manager is the right thing to do but it’s difficult to see how it could have gone much worse recently.

Forget the flukey Millwall win as that papered over the cracks of yet another poor performance.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
No idea why anyone thought the PL would be much fun. Scrap the hype of being here and you realise the top 6 sides are miles better than anyone else bar the odd rogue season where someone breaks in for 1 year.
CH plays the way he thinks will get us over the line come the end of the season. It’s not great to watch 99% of time but it’s worked ok so far. .

I do not get this argument with our approach to away games against the top six. Since we have been in the PL we have set up to defend as deep as possible with little intent of ever attacking. That has rewarded up the grand total of ZERO points, NONE, NADA, ZILCH. What is the definition of insanity again?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
No but I think we have attempted to play a more attacking open style of play. It hasn't quite worked as yet but i am hopeful that it will, especially if we can sign some higher quality players. We are still on track to stay in the Premier League and we have an FA cup final to show for our efforts.

Do you think that we are now slipping behind the plan and CH is failing in his objectives?

I would imagine that TB/PB/CH are, in concert, disappointed with our 2019 results and play.

I wonder if they thought we’d improve a little over last season after another £50m spend?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
No. Boring thread. Why wait until we lost to Chelsea to post this ?

We're in a semi final and staying up is in our hands. I'lll leave it to the club to organise the management. They've done pretty well over the last 10 years or so.

Is the right answer.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
We're a mid to lower PL team. We're not going to attract a stellar manager unless Sheikh Abdul Bin Dipper buys the club.

If we booted CH out, we'd get the same level of manager in a different wrapper.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
That would be novel..at the moment its so predictable what is going to be typed ..I'm inclined to not even bother reading Nsc at the mo....time for a break me thinks

Had been thinking the same thing, it’s all more then a bit tedious, all this nonsense about who’s going to take us forward. Some on here are starting to sound like Palace and their 5 year plan shit!

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
All hailing Hughton as an untouchable legend but where is the progression from last season? Equally as bad away from home, worse at home. Still go into an away game against a top 15 side expecting to lose ‘to nil’.
Not a great position to be in at nearly the end of the 2nd season is it?

Actually our away form is better. We are 17th, compared with 20th last year.
Our home form is slightly worse, but two wins and a draw from our last four home games would make it identical.
We have scored more goals away from home already this year than we got in the whole of last season.
We are 15th. We haven't been in the bottom three all season and we are in a cup semi-final.
9 of the last 18 teams to be promoted from the Championship have been relegated within two seasons. Cardiff or us being relegated by the end of the season would make this 10.

Therefore, in answer to your question, our position, close to the end of a second season in the Premier League is above average.
I'd be interested to know what you were expecting.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
We're a mid to lower PL team. We're not going to attract a stellar manager unless Sheikh Abdul Bin Dipper buys the club.

If we booted CH out, we'd get the same level of manager in a different wrapper.

Wolves and Watford seemed to pick up pretty decent unheard of (by me) managers that have entertained the fans.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here