Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Gin sales ?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Up a massive 41% in 2018;and Fevertrees profits going through the roof as well.

That’s what Brexits done to us.

I must admit I have drunk a fair bit of gin of late where I hardly ever touched a spirit other than a summer vodka and orange.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Nowt to do with Brexit, just good marketing modernising the tired formula of G&T plus lemon. Fevertree have been at forefront.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Gin sales will be on the decline this year. Too many brands entering into an already saturated market.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
For me gin is gin. Mrs T is a gin snob. To me each one tastes the same as each other. Same rule applies to vodka. The only issue is the octane. Quite different for whisky and for wine. The boudoir of the grain and the grape. Could this be because I don't mix whiskey and wine but I do mix vodka and gin (tonic or bitter lemon)? I have done the frozen neat vodka bollox but how pissed do you want to get? Frozen vodka and a line of coke - so 20th century :lolol:

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
For me gin is gin. Mrs T is a gin snob. To me each one tastes the same as each other. Same rule applies to vodka. The only issue is the octane. Quite different for whisky and for wine. The boudoir of the grain and the grape. Could this be because I don't mix whiskey and wine but I do mix vodka and gin (tonic or bitter lemon)? I have done the frozen neat vodka bollox but how pissed do you want to get? Frozen vodka and a line of coke - so 20th century :lolol:

There's a world of difference between a good gin and a bad one.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The current gin trend reminds me very much of when cider exploded in popularity and all manner of small-batch and artisanal ciders appeared.

As was the case with cider then, there is now all manner of gins that have fruit and shit added to them. I can only assume that, as is the case with cider, it's gin for people who maybe don't like gin. Adding sweet flavours to gin makes it palatable for these people.

(I'll add before [MENTION=236]Papa Lazarou[/MENTION] does, that I am very partial to Tanqueray Flor De Sevilla Gin with Mediterranean Fever Tree)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
One of life’s pleasures is a gin martini. With olives of course. The only cocktail I will drink these days.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Gin sales will be on the decline this year. Too many brands entering into an already saturated market.

Lets hope the price drops accordingly, too many of them are ridiculously overpriced. Currently lidl's is my brand of choice for making my own, Strawberry,Raspberry, Blackcurrant and Sloe -Gins. I will buy a bottle of Gordon's when it's on spesh but other than that it's out of my range along the likes of Hendrick's etc.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
One of life’s pleasures is a gin martini. With olives of course. The only cocktail I will drink these days.

A perfect martini should be made by filling a glass with gin, then waving it in the general direction of Italy.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Lets hope the price drops accordingly, too many of them are ridiculously overpriced. Currently lidl's is my brand of choice for making my own, Strawberry,Raspberry, Blackcurrant and Sloe -Gins. I will buy a bottle of Gordon's when it's on spesh but other than that it's out of my range along the likes of Hendrick's etc.

What does a bottle of Gordon's set you back in England?

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
There's a world of difference between a good gin and a bad one.

I used to say I cannot tell the difference but I have been doing some homework on the matter and done the Plymouth distillery tour.
The only ingredient that must be in Gin is juniper, all sorts of other ingredients are added by each distiller to make each one unique, so the can't all be the same.
What I still don't get is Fever Tree, tonic really is just tonic I can only assume it is brilliant marketing.
Which now makes me wonder which drink is next for exploding onto the shelves.
We have had Ciders, ales, Cava and Prosecco, the disgusting Red Bull in a Vodka, alcopops for kids. British/English wine would be good and may bring the price down.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
What does a bottle of Gordon's set you back in England?

About £13/14 pounds, but you can sometimes get a litre bottle for £15

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Up a massive 41% in 2018;and Fevertrees profits going through the roof as well.

That’s what Brexits done to us.

I must admit I have drunk a fair bit of gin of late where I hardly ever touched a spirit other than a summer vodka and orange.

I recommend a finger of neat Brighton gin, a cube of ice and a slice of orange.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I used to say I cannot tell the difference but I have been doing some homework on the matter and done the Plymouth distillery tour.
The only ingredient that must be in Gin is juniper, all sorts of other ingredients are added by each distiller to make each one unique, so the can't all be the same.
What I still don't get is Fever Tree, tonic really is just tonic I can only assume it is brilliant marketing.

I used to think the same about tonic but, unfortunately for my wallet, you can tell the difference. I wouldn't usually splash out on a Fever Tree but I find Schweppes better than supermarket own-brand.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Mrs Jakarta had a G&T in the Black Horse Amberley last night and along with the ice and slice came juniper berries, not come across that one before.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here