Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Raheem Sterling - Pundits v Fans

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
I'd watch the game again - look at the five-ten minutes before our first goal - constantly on the ball, laying it off, harrying them when they win it off us, winning corners. He makes so much space for others, pulling defenders all over the place, an integral part of our attack.

You seem to be focusing on one moment when he could perhaps have squared it for Kane and didn't. His work-rate is fantastic.

I am quite aware of his Baldockesque qualities. We were discussing his ability to scare defences with his speed to go through them. My point was with this aspect of his game is lacking a finishing touch to either score or lay off.
I'm guessing you, like me, are a Baldock fan, you mention all the same qualities for them both,he didn't score too many either but he did manage to lay off to the other strikers and following up midfield.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Like part-time drinkers at Christmas you can always tell the people who only get interested in football during a World Cup and don't follow it week-in, week-out - they all think Sterling is rubbish. Anybody with a vague working knowledge of the game can see what he brings to the team. Ok he's not Pele and yes he IS wasteful in front of goal (which is all the non-football people can see), but I think most people on here can see the bigger picture.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I am quite aware of his Baldockesque qualities. We were discussing his ability to scare defences with his speed to go through them. My point was with this aspect of his game is lacking a finishing touch to either score or lay off.
I'm guessing you, like me, are a Baldock fan, you mention all the same qualities for them both,he didn't score too many either but he did manage to lay off to the other strikers and following up midfield.

Baldock scored some beauties. Sterling got 18 last year was it?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I was always and still am an Ashley Barnes 'fan'. He was much maligned on here

The syndrome being focusing on every mistake whilst overlooking the good he brings to the team. Yes, I know you liked Barnesy.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
SOME fans don't rate him. Some fans are not very bright.

Like part-time drinkers at Christmas you can always tell the people who only get interested in football during a World Cup and don't follow it week-in, week-out - they all think Sterling is rubbish. Anybody with a vague working knowledge of the game can see what he brings to the team. Ok he's not Pele and yes he IS wasteful in front of goal (which is all the non-football people can see), but I think most people on here can see the bigger picture.

Wide sweeping accusations there.

HKFC - Is everybody that doesn't have the same opinion as you about anything not very bright ?

B - I can't imagine there are many if anybody on this forum who are only interested in football during a world cup. Anyone with a vague knowledge of this forum would know that

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
The syndrome being focusing on every mistake whilst overlooking the good he brings to the team. Yes, I know you liked Barnesy.

That's the problem with extrapolation, I talked about one aspect of his game and it's then taken to apply to the whole of his game. Faulty assumption making.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It's not a straight-forward divide. Both Shearer and Jenas made negative comments about him before the Sweden match.

True. Not every pundit's opinion is 100% positive and there are plenty of "fans" on this thread who think he's more than worth his place. The thread title was more a nod to the opening paragraphs in the article.

No England player has divided opinion at this World Cup more than Raheem Sterling.

A wasteful forward? Or a constant menace to defenders with a boundless appetite for hard work?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I like Sterling in the way I've always liked Baldock. It's what they do off the ball that justifies their inclusion in the team. There are plenty of people who don't rate Sterling and I'm not sure they're all stupid - I just refuse to believe those people have ever actually played the game.

These people remind me of that particularly irritating type of rugger bugger who moans about football as a game all the sodding time, yet chooses to watch England during a major tournament and then spends the entire game moaning and dispensing brilliant tactical acumen such as "why don't they kick it FORWARD?".

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon

HKFC - Is everybody that doesn't have the same opinion as you about anything not very bright ?

B - I can't imagine there are many if anybody on this forum who are only interested in football during a world cup. Anyone with a vague knowledge of this forum would know that

Agree. Too many people on here like to generalise and think they are better than anyone who has a different opinion to them.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Not at all.

On this issue though - anyone who thinks Sterling is NOT worth his place in the side - those that see a couple of missed chances, but don't understand the value of the movement off the ball, or the covering back, etc - then yes, in a football (only) sense - they're not very bright.

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
Think he's done well this tournament. Frustratingly he has let EVERY chance go begging, but his ability to stretch a defence cannot bettered by any other in the squad. I thought his hunger for the ball on saturday was immense, he was everywhere. No doubt his finishing is the weakest part of his game, but his strongest his scaring the opposition and creating space and opportunities for others.

Corrected for you

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
True. Not every pundit's opinion is 100% positive and there are plenty of "fans" on this thread who think he's more than worth his place. The thread title was more a nod to the opening paragraphs in the article.

No England player has divided opinion at this World Cup more than Raheem Sterling.

A wasteful forward? Or a constant menace to defenders with a boundless appetite for hard work?

and the answer is .........A wasteful forward and a constant menace to defenders with a boundless appetite for hard work

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
He hasn't scored for England since 2015..

Which means he nailed on to score the goal that takes us to the World Cup Final.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It is to be hoped that he learns soon that after he has scared the opposition he needs to give the ball quickly to someone who will punish them.
He did score 18 goals in the PL this season. Should he have passed it all those times?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Er, yeah. That's why I'm not expecting many (if any) regular posters on here to say that he's 'shit' and that we'd be much better off if he doesn't play. Like I said, I totally accept he can be frustrating and he's certainly not above criticism - but in this team his positives more than outweigh his negatives.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here