Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Missing a train coz a connecting train went belly up

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The first direct train to VIC tomorrow from Shoreham is the 0819 which is due in at 0930. Plenty of time for the 12 minute tube ride. But if it’s late or cancelled I clearly don’t have any other outs

You clearly don't use the trains much. The allowance for that 12 minute tube ride will just about always be gobbled up by the usual delay into VIC, even on a 'good' day. Why would you even trust the trains an inch?

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
Just get an earlier train via Brighton and give yourself a bit of Southern ****-up time. 7.30 onwards is hardly a late start and it'll be worth it for a stress-free journey.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am reasonably sure that when I travelled to a recent game by train there was a notice displayed that if you encounter a delay for 15 mins from your train journey, for whatever reason delays cancellation etc you are entitled to compensation. Not sure how that would be applied in this instance if you missed a connecting train.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
On a similar note, are there still engineering works on the Brighton Victoria line tomorrow? I thought there was going to be another bus replacement service Three Bridges to Redhill, but looks to be a reduced service but normal journey time instead. Anyone confirm the position?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
09.30 - 10.03 - Plenty of time for the 12 minute tube ride.

So just 21 minutes spare, at Euston you have to queue for Virgin ticket inspectors to check every ticket, the gates will close about 3 minutes minimum before the train departs, you have to get from the platform to the tube at Victoria and then tube to the platform at Euston.

I always allow 45-50 minutes to get from Victoria to Euston/Kings X or St P with the danger of advanced fares. You will also need time to buy cans at Euston of course.

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
(unless I know it’s going to be late or cancelled earlier, in which case my wife will drive us to Brighton to grab the 0820)

I know it's going to be late or cancelled. Southern are running it, so it's bound to be one or the other.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I am reasonably sure that when I travelled to a recent game by train there was a notice displayed that if you encounter a delay for 15 mins from your train journey, for whatever reason delays cancellation etc you are entitled to compensation. Not sure how that would be applied in this instance if you missed a connecting train.

Rest assured that Southern's mickey mouse compensation scheme would NOT compensate you for a missed connection or a missed flight.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
So just 21 minutes spare, at Euston you have to queue for Virgin ticket inspectors to check every ticket, the gates will close about 3 minutes minimum before the train departs, you have to get from the platform to the tube at Victoria and then tube to the platform at Euston.

I always allow 45-50 minutes to get from Victoria to Euston/Kings X or St P with the danger of advanced fares. You will also need time to buy cans at Euston of course.

Haha what a wind up post.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I have beem to United and West Brom on Virgin this season and haven't met an inspector once, United we walked throught the gates at Euston and the again at Manchester, same on the way back!

I hope for your sake you have booked seats! They always over book the Virgin trains.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Shows how daft the railway has got, worked a darn site better when it was BR selling singles, returns and cheap day returns.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Usually if there are delays on your first train and you can get a ticket inspector to make a note of it on your tickets then you should be fine to get the next available train from Euston. However, as someone who travels on Virgin West coast mainline from Euston every day, Virgin can be absolute c**ts when it comes to that sort of thing

This, sadly. It is a good idea to arm yourself with Conditions of carriage whenever dealing with Virgin jobsworths specifically this clause:

9.4 Notwithstanding Condition 9.2 (b) above, if you are using an advance Ticket and you miss your booked train because a previous connecting train service was delayed, you will be able to travel on the next train service provided by the Train Company with whom you were booked without penalty.

They have changed the wording of this clause relatively recently (I think) because Virgin have serious issues with people who have booked with other train providers using their trains.

So [MENTION=15277]kingcole[/MENTION] if your previous train (regardless of seperate tickets, clause 14.1 if you are interested) is delayed, Virgin will have to honour your ticket for the next available service, though do not expect them to do so with out being complete ***** about it. Virgin's appalling customer service and attitude to delayed trains is the reason I know so much about this stuff.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
This, sadly. It is a good idea to arm yourself with Conditions of carriage whenever dealing with Virgin jobsworths specifically this clause:

9.4 Notwithstanding Condition 9.2 (b) above, if you are using an advance Ticket and you miss your booked train because a previous connecting train service was delayed, you will be able to travel on the next train service provided by the Train Company with whom you were booked without penalty.

They have changed the wording of this clause relatively recently (I think) because Virgin have serious issues with people who have booked with other train providers using their trains.

So [MENTION=15277]kingcole[/MENTION] if your previous train (regardless of seperate tickets, clause 14.1 if you are interested) is delayed, Virgin will have to honour your ticket for the next available service, though do not expect them to do so with out being complete ***** about it. Virgin's appalling customer service and attitude to delayed trains is the reason I know so much about this stuff.

And as he has travelled without the due minimum connection time they will tell him to do one

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Really, I thought the 0613 and 0719 were direct ones, or have they already been cancelled

I am glad someone else can read a timetable as well

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
And as he has travelled without the due minimum connection time they will tell him to do one

Section 20, which states "If your journey requires a change of trains, you must allow sufficient time to make your connection when selecting the trains you wish to use"? What is the minimum connection time? That should really be made clear somewhere, 33 minutes should be plenty of time to get to Euston.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Section 20, which states "If your journey requires a change of trains, you must allow sufficient time to make your connection when selecting the trains you wish to use"? What is the minimum connection time? That should really be made clear somewhere, 33 minutes should be plenty of time to get to Euston.

I thought you knew it from your know all 'advice', don't be giving out shite advice without knowing the FACTS

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here