Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Surely it was a democratic free vote and the losers should be prepared to accept that they lost, not try to change the result through the back door.

Quite right, they should have stuck with the decision made in 1975 (or whenever it was).

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
The likelihood of this country ever being offered a binary yes/no referendum again... Nil
The likelihood of this country's political system recovering from this shit fest... Nil

The likelihood of the country to continue to vote for politicians who do not represent their interests while swallowing another media driven scapegoat...hell yes!!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I've always believed we shouldn't be part of the EU long before Boris, Farage and the Russians got involved so I would vote Leave again.

And for the love of god, stop calling it 'The Peoples Vote' !!!!!!!!

Agree re the name but surely you can see the there is far more of a difference between no deal and a soft brexit than between a soft brexit and remain. As such there needs to be a decision process. The narrow margin of "victory " would suggest a very soft brexit but I think a lot of leavers would agree that remaining would be better than a soft brexit where we lose any control over the laws we have to follow.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
I also voted leave but what you say makes sense. However, it should come as no surprise that a House of Commons which is dominated by politicians who want to remain, has done all it can to make the process so awkward and difficult, that people will either give up or become tired of it so that staying seems to offer a welcome relief.

That's seriously messed up.

However, although I firmly disagree with Umunna's stance on Brexit, I heartily agree when he stated that people just want Parliament to make a choice.

I am sick to death if it and wish none of it had ever happened. It is hard to see how any of this can end well.

The problem parliament had is it went about the whole thing arse about face. The referendum question gave no indication as to how we should leave and allowed for a lot of nonsense campaigning about where everything was promised. This has lead to the stupid situation where we've been started to negotiate without a clear idea what we actually wanted. Parliament should have first decided what we wanted to do and then invoked article 50 and it was the leavers who pushed this timetable.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
False memory. The 1970s before joining the Common Market were not happier. We had loads of strikes, three day week, fuel rationing with the price of oil going through the roof, inflation, and were called the sick man of Europe.
We had to go to the IMF for loans to try & pay our way.

Most of what you mentioned happened after we joined the common market!!! I suspect BP is referring to his childhood in the late 40s and early 50s (rationing), and the 60s (cold war and the world on the brink of nuclear war) but of course he was happy.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Wasn't old enough to be aware of what was going on during the first referendum.

Was glad I wasn't around for the fall out of the second and sat very much on the fence.

Have continued to be glad to not be around for the fall out of the second, would vote for what ever bought this shit fight to a conclusion either way so the Kingdom could once again be United.

I still feel like the whole thing is a red herring in terms of making life better for the average Brit.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
False memory. The 1970s before joining the Common Market were not happier. We had loads of strikes, three day week, fuel rationing with the price of oil going through the roof, inflation, and were called the sick man of Europe.
We had to go to the IMF for loans to try & pay our way.

Ah yes, I remember it well! A Tory government doing a lot of it as well, before anybody starts on about James Callaghan.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I see the UK has released its tariff schedules of the event of no deal. Pretty much everything to zero, destroys British industry and throws Northern Ireland under a bus with effectively a border in the Irish sea

What has Dr. Fox been doing on tariff schedules? I thought you were getting all this fast tracked last July.

What happened?

Did someone object?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Many remainers on here claim the Russians used mis-information to influence the result of the referendum and that leavers fell for it.

Fake news

Can't be true, that would destabilise us and a wider Europe, Vlad would never get involved in anything like that...

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
There has been so much wrong with this whole process.

Starting with the man who is to blame, Cameron. Despite pedalling the line that Brown/Labour were responsible for a global downturn, and the fact he was up against Gordon Brown and still couldn't win a majority meant he was in hoc to the right of his party and felt he had to offer the referendum in 2015 so as to cling to power.

The campaigns were both badly run and it now transpires that there was electoral fraud on the part of Leave campaign and the suggestions of Russian influence and the shenanigans of Cambridge Analytica. Had Cameron stated the vote would be binding then it would have been annulled by the electoral commission, a massive own goal.

Farage claiming he would seek a further referendum if it was close and now denying a valid call for the so called People's vote.

The Tory Party electing a remainer when their Brexit poster boy, Boris, removed himself from the contest. May was elected by default, not consensus. It was always going to be a poisoned chalice and it got dumped on May. Her big mistake was not making Brexit an all party issue.

As others have alluded to, the leave side are just as disjointed as the current Tory party. The 'shouty' people bang on about knowing why all 17m people voted the way they did and that everyone knew what they were voting for which is now so obviously garbage. How many voting leave knew anything about WTO schedules, default tariffs, the issues in Northern Ireland. It was some romantic garbage about borders (which we can control anyway), sovereignty (we have the right of veto), unelected officials (commissioners are nominated by each country so in effect our elected government are making the appointment) and that those officials pass laws (they don't, EU laws are passed by elected MEPs) and that we can negotiate better deals outside of the worlds largest trading bloc! Any better deal we negotiate with a WTO member has to be given to every member of WTO which includes the EU!!!

Staunch leavers will never change their mind but if you are unsure, I would suggest you listen to James O'Brien on LBC as he pretty much puts holes in any leavers arguments, including those of JRM.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Most of what you mentioned happened after we joined the common market!!! I suspect BP is referring to his childhood in the late 40s and early 50s (rationing), and the 60s (cold war and the world on the brink of nuclear war) but of course he was happy.

We were preparing for Europe in the late 60s with the planning for decimalisation, which came in in 1971, two years before we actually joined.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
What a fantastic time to be a smuggler.

Oh and

Responding to the announcement, Carolyn Fairbairn, director-general of the Confederation of British Industry, described the prospect of no deal as a “sledgehammer for the economy”.

“This tells us everything that is wrong with a no-deal scenario. What we are hearing is the biggest change in terms of trade this country has faced since the mid-19th century being imposed on this country with no consultation with business, no time to prepare,” she told the BBC’s Today programme.

“This is no way to run a country. What we potentially are going to see is this imposition of new terms of trade at the same time as business is blocked out of its closest trading partner. This is a sledgehammer for our economy.”

Wankers.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
There has been so much wrong with this whole process.

Starting with the man who is to blame, Cameron. Despite pedalling the line that Brown/Labour were responsible for a global downturn, and the fact he was up against Gordon Brown and still couldn't win a majority meant he was in hoc to the right of his party and felt he had to offer the referendum in 2015 so as to cling to power.

The campaigns were both badly run and it now transpires that there was electoral fraud on the part of Leave campaign and the suggestions of Russian influence and the shenanigans of Cambridge Analytica. Had Cameron stated the vote would be binding then it would have been annulled by the electoral commission, a massive own goal.

Farage claiming he would seek a further referendum if it was close and now denying a valid call for the so called People's vote.

The Tory Party electing a remainer when their Brexit poster boy, Boris, removed himself from the contest. May was elected by default, not consensus. It was always going to be a poisoned chalice and it got dumped on May. Her big mistake was not making Brexit an all party issue.

As others have alluded to, the leave side are just as disjointed as the current Tory party. The 'shouty' people bang on about knowing why all 17m people voted the way they did and that everyone knew what they were voting for which is now so obviously garbage. How many voting leave knew anything about WTO schedules, default tariffs, the issues in Northern Ireland. It was some romantic garbage about borders (which we can control anyway), sovereignty (we have the right of veto), unelected officials (commissioners are nominated by each country so in effect our elected government are making the appointment) and that those officials pass laws (they don't, EU laws are passed by elected MEPs) and that we can negotiate better deals outside of the worlds largest trading bloc! Any better deal we negotiate with a WTO member has to be given to every member of WTO which includes the EU!!!

Staunch leavers will never change their mind but if you are unsure, I would suggest you listen to James O'Brien on LBC as he pretty much puts holes in any leavers arguments, including those of JRM.

Blimey, James O'Brien.
I am a remainer but I can only listen to this pompous righteous prick for about 5minutes, tops!

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
So whatever happened to the EU blinking at the 11th hour? Any Brexiters on here still convinced they still implode as they need us more than we need them?
The German car makers will *ride to our rescue*.

Or not, it seems.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea

More than happy to listen to a well thought out, balanced point of view from either side. J O'B however is a total :wanker:

2 total numpties here, but I know who comes across as more eloquent and listening.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here