Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Jack Grealish

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
I suspect most clubs would have a section of fans like that. If someone had run on and punched Wilf yesterday don't you think there might have been a round of gentle applause (not warranted) from the away section?

I hope not.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Good for him. Bet the nobhead that hit him feels even stupider now.

He's too stupid to feel stupid.

It's a pity some leeway isn't given to the players in this sort of situation. I remember an international at Hampden many years ago, some pr at ran on to the field. One of the Scottish players (I think it was pig Gordon McQueen) tackled him - and by tackled I mean the sort of tackle that wasn't even allowed back then! Studs up, both feet, hurtling in at waste level - absolutely pole-axed the twunt. He practically had to be carried off. Good job well done, fans cheering him (McQueen) to the rafters..

These days McQueen would probably get a five match ban. Sigh ................

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
The BBC ought to pray that we don't score a controversial last minute winner next Sunday. The met police will be able justify their influence over the decision to not open the bottom tier.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
There was, it was also a time when those working men with dogs, butties and flasks had manners and would have brought their children up appropriately.

https://goo.gl/images/TYmPtZ

There was a time when you could probably bring your dog along to the game, let alone your flask and sandwiches, but those times are gone. People have to make a personal choice whether or not they want to carry on following a club that imposes such “draconian” measures in the name of zero tolerance. I’m happy to.

Boston28

Feb 7, 2014
Had a very similar incident happen to me when walking to work round the back of Churchill square one night last year, completely unprovoked punch to the back of my head which resulted in a nasty gash when my head hit the floor. Police took 3 days to come and see me and had no interest in any form of investigation even though the guy was pictured looking right at a pubs cctv second before so I wouldn’t be so confident in the system and this scumbag getting the prison time he deserves.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Yes, it’s a shame that people can’t take their flasks along to games any more, and no bottle tops is personally something I really struggle to get upset about. It’s just another of those niggling annoyances that are part and parcel of us being a Premier League and therefore more high profile club, and not out of keeping with restrictions found at any club in the PL, the aim being I presume to lessen the risk posed by idiots. There was a time when you could probably bring your dog along to the game, let alone your flask and sandwiches, but those times are gone. People have to make a personal choice whether or not they want to carry on following a club that imposes such “draconian” measures in the name of zero tolerance. I’m happy to.

Whilst I appreciate the reasonableness of your reply and I am glad that it doesn't affect you personally, I would like to know on what basis and how much of a risk the club think they are nullifying by banning flasks and bottle tops. They cannot reasonably be expected to banish risk entirely and whilst someone may throw a bottle onto the pitch, so far the only recorded bottle injury from millions of unique visits, was caused by the Arsenal manager. No-one has ever been injured by a flask at the football. I am really not interested in 'but that's the way they do it elsewhere' as a justification for poor policy. It was an over-reactive move by the club in my opinion and hits the eldest amongst our fans, and the children, hardest. I am not in favour of that.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Ban and jail, yes. But I would also give short term bans to any of their fans who saw fit to applaud this idiot. If clubs are going to be held responsible for their fans’ behaviour, then they need to take both proactive and retrospective action to ensure compliance.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Birmingham City FC, EFL and the FL.
Put yourself in the shoes of each.
Birmingham City. I'd say the security looked good. Stewards literally every yard at the point the guy came from. If someone wants to get on then they will.
EFL. Just washed their hands already and passed it to the FL.
FL. Likely to fine the club. Sky pundits saying close the ground and points deduction, but then you're taking it out on the fans. I would be very aggrieved had someone punched Haha when he came over for that corner, why should I lose out on anything because of one person?
Solution. Fences will never come back, nor will barricades between the stand and the pitch. Hillsborough made sure of that. Cover the first three rows? Back again to Hillsborough or Bradford where there must be an exit from the stand. All seating stadium is one thing (I'm not sure Birmingham is all seated) but fans stand up.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
Ban and jail, yes. But I would also give short term bans to any of their fans who saw fit to applaud this idiot. If clubs are going to be held responsible for their fans’ behaviour, then they need to take both proactive and retrospective action to ensure compliance.

A ban for clapping?

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
As well as the guy the club needs a hefty sanction. Whilst it was an individual action and obviously condemned by the club it happened on their watch a their ground and the signal needs to be sent out. Say 3 games behind closed doors

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
As well as the guy the club needs a hefty sanction. Whilst it was an individual action and obviously condemned by the club it happened on their watch a their ground and the signal needs to be sent out. Say 3 games behind closed doors

But why? That's like saying if you get robbed it's your fault for carrying something valuable and walking on the street with it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here