Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Bottle Top BAN!

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I’ve now got an answer to this - cork. Take a wine bottle cork, taper it a bit with a knife, you have a pop bottle ‘stopper’ not a lid. You’ve not been charged for this revelation.

I think I can see a flaw in this.
You're right about the mess though. Two youngsters along from me were having the time of their lives (first game maybe) but spilt numerous drinks.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
And going back to my 'knife crime' thread, I know I could easily smuggle in a knife, not sure about a bottle top, but not about to test out my theory on either.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I’ve now got an answer to this - cork. Take a wine bottle cork, taper it a bit with a knife, you have a pop bottle ‘stopper’ not a lid. You’ve not been charged for this revelation.

You're asking for all kinds of trouble with that approach:

"Finally, we are also aware of a very small number of fans who chose to continue to ignore stadium rules by bringing flasks into the stadium, or by concealing bottle tops for use later."

Our solution is to just ask for a cup of water. One server put the water in a coffee cup complete with lid, whilst another just filled a plastic pint glass. Regardless, I'm saving £2 (or whatever the club charge for a bottle of water) per game now. As such I am now fully supportive of this otherwise ridiculous restriction.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
You're asking for all kinds of trouble with that approach:

"Finally, we are also aware of a very small number of fans who chose to continue to ignore stadium rules by bringing flasks into the stadium, or by concealing bottle tops for use later."

Our solution is to just ask for a cup of water. One server put the water in a coffee cup complete with lid, whilst another just filled a plastic pint glass. Regardless, I'm saving £2 (or whatever the club charge for a bottle of water) per game now. As such I am now fully supportive of this otherwise ridiculous restriction.

It's a STOPPER! :moo:

I've always got a cup of water for the kids since the stadium opened. Saves the hassle of either buying or bringing your own. I'm now at an age where I need a pint of water myself per 3 x Harvey's :smile:

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
It was Carnage is the WSU on Saturday, Drinks being spilt by kids everywhere, two parents getting into an argument after a goal when a drink was spilled which I did find quite amusing, however did fell a little sorry for the kid, as Its not his fault his drink went flying when we scored, just unlucky in went over his neighbours rucksack. However I know for speed bottles are easier so I wouldnt like to see this put in place, but I can imagine Draft style drinks with like the Cinema/Mcdonalds being brought in.

Either way its a bit shit they take the lids, but seriously its not hard to drink it without spilling it or just teach your kids how to behave.

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
It is simple. Stewards are not allowed to search kids so give them a top to put in their pocket. You just need to be careful when putting it on, taking it off.

Strange, it is quite obvious that people are smuggling tops in but I still haven't seen a bottle being thrown.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It is simple. Stewards are not allowed to search kids so give them a top to put in their pocket. You just need to be careful when putting it on, taking it off.

or, just give them the bottle to carry in first place. sorted.

i read last week at a game someone lobbed a glass whisky bottle at a player. clearly the solution is to improve basic searches and stewarding, to deal with thugs, not ban bottle tops from the 99.9% that behave.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Either way its a bit shit they take the lids, but seriously its not hard to drink it without spilling it or just teach your kids how to behave.

Nope, they are often not finished in one go which makes somewhere like the North where people stand up accident prone. Twice in the North supporters around me have barged into my bottle and knocked it over. I'm sure the same could be said about the majority of spills around the ground.

I noticed several 'wet patches' lol around the family stand on Saturday. I wonder if someone slips, if there'll be a court case?

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I do wonder if these kids still have half full bottles on 80 minutes, why are we buying them for them?

By the way: That list of prohibited items doesn't mention a square of cling film and an elastic band.

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
I wondered on Saturday if you purchased a bottle of drink on the concourse after the game on your way out, would they still remove the top and why?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I do wonder if these kids still have half full bottles on 80 minutes, why are we buying them for them?

By the way: That list of prohibited items doesn't mention a square of cling film and an elastic band.

shh, thats my plan

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
This man is really starting to push the limits.

9508187.jpg

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
This man is really starting to push the limits.

9508187.jpg

Sorry but that is taking the p... One of reasons for no bottle tops was because earlier in season a manager hit a supporter with a bottle and here our manager behaves like this.

seagurn

Feb 19, 2007
County town
If your all so pee'd off with the bottle top ban why dont you all wear one of those Aussie hats with bottle tops on ?rather than corks? If asked say its in homage to matty ryan .....

twowheelsbest

Nov 1, 2009
Brighton
I took half time fruit cake in one of those snap click plastic boxes last Saturday. I was told by the steward at the entrance to the ESU that she wasn’t supposed to allow me in with the lid on the box and that next time I should cover it foil / cling film. When I mentioned it to the steward in the stand he said he hadn’t heard of that one!B89EBFAF-233F-41C6-B660-AA741F28D651.jpeg

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I took half time fruit cake in one of those snap click plastic boxes last Saturday. I was told by the steward at the entrance to the ESU that she wasn’t supposed to allow me in with the lid on the box and that next time I should cover it foil / cling film. When I mentioned it to the steward in the stand he said he hadn’t heard of that one!

In true “make it up as you go along” style - sounds like Barber is asking his people to use their own initiative. Worrying.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here