Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who will replace Kayal ?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
With respect, you're entirely wrong. Crofts has plenty to do to demonstrate that he is back to his best, but in terms of style he is plenty similar to Kayal. Both are very mobile up and down centre midfielders, strong in the tackle, capable of a creative pass, and of pitching in with their share of goals. Kayal is better, but otherwise, pretty similar.

Crofts isn't creative nor is he a goal scorer. They're both hard workers who are snappy in the tackle, but I still wouldn't say they were similar players.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Crofts isn't creative nor is he a goal scorer. They're both hard workers who are snappy in the tackle, but I still wouldn't say they were similar players.

Crofts scored 8 goals from midfield for Norwich in their Championship winning season. He scored 5 for us in half a season in 2013/14 and I believe was one of our top scorers at the point of his injury. His career goal scoring record is much better than Kayal's. If he comes back from injury the player he was when he got hurt, he would still be a very good addition to any Championship squad.

Last edited:

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I would think a slight change of shape would come about if Kayal had to sit one out and in steamed Crofts. They are similar in potential workrate and wish to motor, but sometimes the football itself is involved and there they seem to rather differ. Kayal can create space for himself with the ball at his feet with a twist and turn and dart, whilst Crofts is a straight-running sort of player. Crofts might well score more goals than Kayal, but our style would have to change to cater for Crofts, and I could see that being a midfield 3 with Manu as the roamer behind Hemed and the unsuspended Murphy and Rosenior flying up and down out wide.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Think most on this thread are a tad miserable about Ince. We've been lucky enough to start Kayal and Stephens in a central midfield two for every game thus far this season. That's not going to happen all season. For the moment, if one of them is out, Ince deserves a chance to show whether he can do it in that formation. He's more than earned that. There are plenty on here claiming that they're wise-before-the-event. I suspect that CH will trust Ince, and don't think he'll throw Crofts in unless and until he's had a bit of game time. By then, it may even be the case that Ince has done more than enough to cement his position as first choice replacement central midfielder.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I'm in the Crofts camp when it comes to replacing Kayal or Stephens when the time comes, and retaining the same set-up. His lack of game time is a bit worrying, though - I'm sure we're allowed to play (presumably a very limited number) of over-age players in the U21s (perhaps someone will be good enough to confirm this, or put me right if I've got that wrong) so shouldn't he be having a run out with them now? I don't think he has so far, has he?

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I'm in the Crofts camp when it comes to replacing Kayal or Stephens when the time comes, and retaining the same set-up. His lack of game time is a bit worrying, though - I'm sure we're allowed to play (presumably a very limited number) of over-age players in the U21s (perhaps someone will be good enough to confirm this, or put me right if I've got that wrong) so shouldn't he be having a run out with them now? I don't think he has so far, has he?

He played 67 minutes in the first U-21 game of the season, at Fulham, and then played the whole match in the next 2, against Swansea and Villa.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I'll give it a go. I guarantee 10 minutes of mayhem, a red card and possibly a spell in prison.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I've just checked....... I am not on the books of any recognised football club

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
He played 67 minutes in the first U-21 game of the season, at Fulham, and then played the whole match in the next 2, against Swansea and Villa.
Oh right, cheers AZ. Appreciate your input on matters U21.

Crofts for Kayal if the need arises it is then.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If Crofts isn't match fit , I am sure Nolan won't be. Not saying signing would be a bad idea though.

I think his experience would see him through as he has been training with first Orient then PNE so would be physically up to 60 mins. Along the lines of when we brought Case back from Sittingbourne to do a job, although the circumstances were different.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
If Crofts isn't match fit , I am sure Nolan won't be. Not saying signing would be a bad idea though.
I wasn't necessarily advocating getting him in to take over immediately next week if Kayal gets suspended (or injured) - he may well not be match fit at the moment (or he might be; frankly I don't know about that any more than I suspect you do) - but a 9 month contract as cover for our central midfield would, IMHO, be not a bad idea.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here