Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Water bottle tops / Argus court report

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
This whole situation makes me laugh. Children are not searched on their way into The Amex, so let's say I purchased my children a drink with the top taken off shirley they'd just use the saved one they had in their pocket, wouldn't they?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
This whole situation makes me laugh. Children are not searched on their way into The Amex, so let's say I purchased my children a drink with the top taken off shirley they'd just use the saved one they had in their pocket, wouldn't they?

The club made a statement about people being reprimanded if stewards found they had smuggled a bottle top into the ground. The punishment was to miss a few games or something. It is such a tragic over-reaction.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
The club made a statement about people being reprimanded if stewards found they had smuggled a bottle top into the ground. The punishment was to miss a few games or something. It is such a tragic over-reaction.

Indeed they did BUT I purchased two diet cokes at the second to last game of the season and they were passed to me intact, so I'd wager that happens enough times for me to claim that's how I got them?

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Indeed they did BUT I purchased two diet cokes at the second to last game of the season and they were passed to me intact, so I'd wager that happens enough times for me to claim that's how I got them?

Before anyone asks, yes MY FRIEND and his children are sad enough that we Oops, they, retain the right top for the right bottle!

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Often 3 or 4 of us go in with bottle tops on, the stewards are haphazard at administering the ban. I think it was[MENTION=33633]Me and my Monkey[/MENTION] who said lots of bottles are being knocked over and that is right, it's pretty annoying as anything under the seat is soaked. Often its coke and that is pretty unpleasant underfoot. Surely that is a greater H and S risk than people tripping over them with a lid on?

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

It like all rules and laws. The governing body sets them and has to rely on the average law abiding citizen to understand why the rules are in force and comply.

Some people feel “good” about getting away with breaking the law (eg bragging about how much alcohol they had had to drink before driving home, or using their mobile when driving) and it’s only when they are caught or there is an accident that they realise why the rule is there.

I’m sure we could all get away with getting a bottle top into the Amex if we tried hard enough but I guess it’s not that important to most of us.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Must be bored as I somehow found myself skimming though the Argus court reporting and noticed this...

“STEPHEN WALKER

Aged 27, of Peterlee, County Durham, admitted throwing a plastic water bottle onto the football pitch at the American Express Community Stadium, Falmer. Fined £120, with a £30 surcharge and £85 costs.”

My assumption would be Newcastle away fan?

The report was not prominent at all and I wondered how often these minor prosecutions occur, especially as the bottle top ban got so many peeps all riled up!

Shame CAPital punishment has been banned!!

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Often 3 or 4 of us go in with bottle tops on, the stewards are haphazard at administering the ban. I think it was[MENTION=33633]Me and my Monkey[/MENTION] who said lots of bottles are being knocked over and that is right, it's pretty annoying as anything under the seat is soaked. Often its coke and that is pretty unpleasant underfoot. Surely that is a greater H and S risk than people tripping over them with a lid on?

You'd think so, MY FRIENDS motive for the lids is purely because the kids are constantly knocking the bottles over and people in front have jumpers, programmes etc on the floor.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
It like all rules and laws. The governing body sets them and has to rely on the average law abiding citizen to understand why the rules are in force and comply.

Some people feel “good” about getting away with breaking the law (eg bragging about how much alcohol they had had to drink before driving home, or using their mobile when driving) and it’s only when they are caught or there is an accident that they realise why the rule is there.

I’m sure we could all get away with getting a bottle top into the Amex if we tried hard enough but I guess it’s not that important to most of us.

Of course we could but it depends on the motive. I feel it's an ill thought through rule, there's more risk from the constant puddling created by spilt drinks not to mention the inconvenience to those around us with coats etc under seats. Some would say we should teach our children not to spill drinks although given Wetherspoon's on a Saturday night I'd say there's a few more that have failed with that one also.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

Slight jump from drinking and driving to taking a bottle top to a football match though, eh?

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Slight jump from drinking and driving to taking a bottle top to a football match though, eh?

It was just an example of people’s attitude to the law. Perhaps I exaggerated to make my point, as you have in describing coke puddles as a (greater) risk (than full bottles of coke with lids on being thrown).

Over and Out.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The official line is `no bottle tops as if/when the bottle is left in an aisle where an emergency exit is needed, it becomes a 'trip hazard' as it won't collapse if you stand on it'. However, on the pitch it's not the same - there's loads of room, and 22 able bodied athletes to dodge them.

The club is fooling no-one with that 'reasoning'.

Is that really the official reason?

No, that wasn't the club's reasoning. When the ban was officially announced it was a broadstroke "following a review of the matchday safety policies" following it up with "We've had a lot of dialogue and correspondence on our decision to ban flasks, and while we fully accept this is not a popular decision with a relatively small group of supporters, it is not one we have made lightly. "Our job is to anticipate risks to the safety and security of our stadium, and the people within it, and then mitigate or eliminate those risks wherever it is practical to do so – not wait for an incident to occur before we take action.

https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/news/2018/august/amex-update-prohibited-items/

Because they gave such a vague explanation, the thread that sprung in response to the news led to some people rushing to side with the club and defend the introduction of a new rule and explain it themselves from 'terrorists will use flasks to sneak bombs in - we're premier league now so prime target' to 'full bottles with lids on will cause accidents during emergency evacuations'. The latter has stuck and been taken by some as the official line even though it wasn't.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here