Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Fallout from Hughton sacking: notice we've suddenly become hated and ridiculed by neutrals

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Anyone who suggests Hughton was harshly treated needs to learn this fact.

11 points from the last 18 games (14 from the second half of the season). The fact we still survived would confirm we weren't half bad in the first half of the season.

So there you have it. Proof we were on the slide under Hughton. What other manger would have survived in his job so long with those stats. IMO we left it far to late to sack Hughton.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The BBC message board did not make for pleasant reading last night and there are plenty that say they want to see us go down.

The bottom line is that most people don't know much about what goes on outside the Top 6, and most know more about what goes on at Real and Barca than they do at Brighton.

Most fans are extremely fickle: they like to see the Top 6 dropping points and yet they don't like upstart clubs getting too big for their boots.

For the first time in a long time Brighton are no longer the nice club that people expected. We are a bona fide Premier League club playing ugly on the field and showing ambition off it, we are a threat to the bottom half and to the likes of Leeds, Massive, Derby, Forest, Villa and all the other "giants" that are seeing their "rightful" places at the top table taken by clubs with savvy chairmen and streetwise managers - Wolves, Watford, Bournemouth, Burnley, Brighton.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
Yes, but where were they all in the wilderness years? Most would appear to have been fans of football, rather than supporters of the club.

Oh blimey, not all this old nonsense again. If you look at average attendances of Leagues 1 and 2 last season our 8,000 at Withdean would comfortably put us in mid-table. And of course if Withdean had a higher capacity our averages would have been a lot higher in the successful seasons (I can certainly remember not being able to get tickets). Should any of those clubs currently in Leagues 1 or 2 make it to the Premier League they will gain much higher attendances, particularly if they build a nice new stadium. What is the flippin' mystery?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
It'll be tomorrow's chip paper soon enough.

Yes, the *Little Old Brighton only managed to get above their station because of Hughton* narrative is tedious but que sera sera.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Let others do and say what they will , it's up to the people in charge now to prove them wrong , if they're even bothered at all by the comments , which i doubt , it's very easy to condemn something with no real knowledge of it's foundations , time will tell and they could be right , but it's really inconsequential gibberish at this point in time .

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Before [MENTION=12634]Return of the Rev[/MENTION] gets a hard-on, it's worth pointing out that during the Mullery years, we had just EIGHT 30,000+ attendances, with NONE during our time in the top flight
What was the capacity of the Goldstone when we were in the top flight?

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
frankly-my-dear-i-dont-give-a-damn-gif-8.gif

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Only the twits on twatter are spouting hot air. Most know that we had to shoot Bambi.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
What was the capacity of the Goldstone when we were in the top flight?

In 79/80 it was listed as 33,500
At the end of the first season, the fire in the South Stand led to conversion to all seats, which reduced capacity
The certified capacity was reduced at the start of 80/81 to 24,000 but increased through the season as maintenance work continued. The largest crowd that season was 27,577
In 81/82 the capacity wasn't challenged. Only Liverpool attracted more than 20,000 to The Goldstone
In 82/83 the average league attendance fell to 14,676. Mainly due to the crap season, but also because lack of money meant the ground was falling apart around us. The biggest crowd was 28,800 for the Norwich FA Cup game
In 83/84 the largest crowd was for the first game against Chelsea - 20,874 - but after it all kicked off, attendances started to dwindle
84/85 - largest home crowd 17,279
85/86 home crowds averaged 9,722
86/87 average 8,282
The capacity was cut more and more but a crowd of 26,467 still managed to cram in for the Arsenal FA Cup game in 1988
In 88/89 capacity was cut to 23,000 and the East terrace was closed
89/90 capacity reduced again, to 18,493
It all went to shit in the 90s, although a crowd of 18,031 saw the Crawley FA Cup game in January 1992, and 17,581 for the cup-tie against Portsmouth in 1993

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
The BBC message board did not make for pleasant reading last night and there are plenty that say they want to see us go down.

I always try and avoid reading comments on that site, and every time I succumb it's a seriously deflating experience.

I get the impression most posters there are archetypal plastics, usually "support" top 6 clubs and I am not sure the comments there are necessarily a reliable barometer.

And I bet most of them are typing with one hand with their trousers round their ankles....

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
I always try and avoid reading comments on that site, and every time I succumb it's a seriously deflating experience.

I get the impression most posters there are archetypal plastics, usually "support" top 6 clubs and I am not sure the comments there are necessarily a reliable barometer.

And I bet most of them are typing with one hand with their trousers round their ankles....

Most aren't even from the UK IMHO.
Just weirdo plastic fans.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
I would care if we were disliked by those who once genuinely warmed to the club and/or had some legitimate reason for that dislike.
People who expressed a wish for us to be relegated on the BBC site are in neither of these categories....

Last edited:

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Been slowly more and more disliked the last 10 years since we gained 20k fans really.

Had a lot of goodwill after our struggles but seem to be disliked and not taken seriously all over the country now.

Means nothing though does it.

We don't take MK Dons or Reading seriously but I'm sure to their fans they don't give a monkeys

That just isn't true at all. Every time I've travelled away, a lot over the years including recent years, the vast majority of fans of opposing teams I chat to have had nothing but positive stuff about us and our set up. Same for mates who support other teams, etc.

And we didn't just 'gain 20k fans', ffs

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
At the end of the first season, the fire in the South Stand led to conversion to all seats, which reduced capacity
The certified capacity was reduced at the start of 80/81 to 24,000 but increased through the season as maintenance work continued. The largest crowd that season was 27,577
In 81/82 the capacity wasn't challenged. Only Liverpool attracted more than 20,000 to The Goldstone
In 82/83 the average league attendance fell to 14,676. Mainly due to the crap season, but also because lack of money meant the ground was falling apart around us. The biggest crowd was 28,800 for the Norwich FA Cup game
In 83/84 the largest crowd was for the first game against Chelsea - 20,874 - but after it all kicked off, attendances started to dwindle
86/87 average 8,282
The capacity was cut more and more but a crowd of 26,467 still managed to cram in for the Arsenal FA Cup game in 1988
It all went to shit in the 90s, although a crowd of 18,031 saw the Crawley FA Cup game in January 1992, and 17,581 for the cup-tie against Portsmouth in 1993

From where we are now, you forget how bad it was.....

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
86/87 average 8,282

It was rocking that night vs Pompey in the cup. Top game!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Genuinely haven't heard anything negative from people. General consensus seems to be we were worse than last year, just stayed up by the skin of our teeth and played crap football.

Wasn't so long ago everyone else was allegedly disliking us for our style of play and said we didn't deserve to be in the Prem.

Which is it?

Indeed. Pub talk. And talkshite talk. And Mailonline talk. The day these media 'outlets' start praising my club is the day I start rocking up at Salters Lane on a Saturday afternoon.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
My reaction is neutrals are entirely what is wrong with the Premier League as they just sit in their armchair, have zero knowledge of how any club works and just feed the top 6

and make sure games are no longer played at 15:00 on a Saturday .....

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
86/87 average 8,282

I have not seen any mention of this but is it not the case that this season was our highest ever average pretendance (over 30,000)? Actually, as this will be lost, I'll start a thread....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here