Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Graham Potter joins on four-year deal

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
It's a complete gamble, isn't it?
Would be mad not to back both relegation and a top 10 finish.

It is, but it's done and is happening, for better or worse. Who knows what Potter will do, he has never had resources like this to work with. It could be a masterstroke, could be a disaster, but it's the Albion so we know it'll be interesting at least...

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
No idea if Potter will keep us in the Premier League but TB has got his no:1 target and if the worse happens we do not need to change Manager again in the Championship.
We now have a Manager willing to give youngsters a chance and last years signings have a chance with a new manager to prove their worth.
Expect there will now be departures from our squad as Potter will want a couple of key signings in.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Well he hadn't taken us down yet so not sure how you can say that with such confidence.

I am glad you are looking forward to next season though.

Sent from my TA-1020 using Tapatalk
Very true of course and speculation on my part. Just the football I've watched the last 4 months left me with little confidence that we could stay up next season with Hughton in charge. That in no way detracts for my thanks for what he has done for our club, and if he had not been sacked he would have had my full support next season

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
It's a complete gamble, isn't it?
Would be mad not to back both relegation and a top 10 finish.

An educated gamble. I reckon somewhere between 7th and 20th. Just hope it's an entertaining ride wherever we end up.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Son of Sami.

MV5BOTg2NDUwODI2OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDg1MjA2MDE@._V1_UY268_CR3,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
A quick scan of Swansea forums shows a mix of good wishes and anger the latter for example

“Why has he left for a similar sized club”

“We have better more flexible players than them”

“West Ham, Everton but King Brighton”

I always wondered how realistic Twin Town was

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
A quick scan of Swansea forums shows a mix of good wishes and anger the latter for example

You can't blame them though, we would be saying the same things if they poached our manager. I think at lot of anger is directed at their American owners for not backing the club to the extent they deem necessary. We may be similar size clubs but atm we are more financially stable than they are. That of course could change if we swap divisions in the next couple of seasons.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014

graham potter was in that documentary, wasn't he?

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Am I the only one who thinks he looks like "Dot" Cotton from Line of Duty? Maybe "H" was Hughton and that's why he had to go.

No I've been thinking exactly the same thing. But another that sprung to my mind was Paddy Considine from Peaky Blinders / Informer. I can't decide between the two. Maybe we need a poll.

Paddy-Considine-007 (1).jpg

imgID160320516.jpg.gallery.jpg

33A24FD800000578-0-image-a-9_1461914116709.jpg

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
MV5BZjIwM2Y5ZTMtNzJkYy00YmJhLTlmMjEtODI4NWU2NjUxOGJkL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzU0Njc2OTI@._V1_SX1777_CR0,0,1777,874_AL_.jpg

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
No idea if Potter will keep us in the Premier League but TB has got his no:1 target and if the worse happens we do not need to change Manager again in the Championship.
We now have a Manager willing to give youngsters a chance and last years signings have a chance with a new manager to prove their worth.
Expect there will now be departures from our squad as Potter will want a couple of key signings in.

I think ultimately Hughtons downfall was not giving youth a chance. He seemed only to stick with his players and the U23’s were not his players so they never really got a look in. Clearly Blooms long term plan is for the U23’s to feed one or two players a year into the first team hence the big investment into Lancing. That was not happening under Hughton after 4 years. Next season I reckon several U23’s will break into the first team. That could be the equivalent of tens of millions of pounds payback.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
I was just thinking, having read the Nick Powell thread, about player fitness and stamina. Our player stats fell back in this respect in the second half of the season, probably because we weren’t engaging far upfield, so our distance travelled obviously shrunk. But on top of that, we actually LOOKED unfit, relative to some of the teams we faced. You read a lot about just how physically fit the high press teams need to be. And I recall watching LUFC for the first few games this season, Bielsa had dormitories built at the training ground, so the players could live there and train three times a day, they came out of the blocks flying with a physical onslaught that I thought they could not sustain even for an hour, but they kept it going for a couple of months, and then fatigue related injuries started to bite, and the rest is history.

Just wondering how GP will approach this. I’m sure his game demands very high physical resilience and durability. It will be good to see the Albion figuring in a much more active physical way under GP. We had seriously begun to shrink to unacceptable levels under CH.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here