Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Zaha watch - *** The SEGW finally managed to escape***

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
That's a rhetorical question isn't it.
No, it was a genuine question. I don't understand why he did it. I don't think the increase in salary would have made much difference to him. The offer of increased salary is enough to show that the club value him, but he knew then he'd want out at some point, so either don't sign the new contract, or have a release clause. If he hasn't got a release clause and is stuck there, it's monumentally stupid.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
No, it was a genuine question. I don't understand why he did it. I don't think the increase in salary would have made much difference to him. The offer of increased salary is enough to show that the club value him, but he knew then he'd want out at some point, so either don't sign the new contract, or have a release clause. If he hasn't got a release clause and is stuck there, it's monumentally stupid.

This!!
However I suspect there is a fair chance that he is monumentally stupid.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
If wilf goes , he deserves our best wishes , it will be for top money £70/90 m . As clubs will not meet our valuation don’t be surprised if he stays and this thread can trundle on .

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Absolutely he does ( I think Duffy and Knockaert do too).
What makes you so confident that they do? My guess would be that they don't. They're not the sort of thing that would bring unity to a dressing room, and I'd think our club would be against the idea. I can understand it where you have a stand out star at your team, but Duffy and Knocky aren't stand out stars. Indeed plenty think Knocky isn't even good enough for the PL.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
What makes you so confident that they do? My guess would be that they don't.

Not confident re duffy and knockaert tbh.. I read it on here, and I seem to recall Dunk and Duffy both getting new contracts after a recent signing.
So circumstantial at best.

But Dunk gets a new contract after every major signing, so relatively confident he has a top earner clause.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Legally, a highest earner contract is impossible

Think about how you would monitor that

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Dunk gets a new contract after every major signing, so relatively confident he has a top earner clause.
I don't know what these clauses actually look like, but if it was just 'top earner', then my guess would be that he gets an automatic pay rise if someone else comes in on more money, he wouldn't need to sign a new contract. I think the repeated new contracts are simply showing that he's valued here, and protecting our investment.

Given the possibility that a club like us could buy a marquee striker, I wouldn't expect us to have a defender on a 'top earner' clause.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
If there was such a thing as a Zaha Watch, surely it would fall off your wrist at the slightest touch and then writhe around on the floor?

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
If wilf goes , he deserves our best wishes , it will be for top money £70/90 m . As clubs will not meet our valuation don’t be surprised if he stays and this thread can trundle on .

Do you genuinely want to hang on to a player with previous history of sulking who doesn't want to be there, thinks he's better than the club and publicly says he wants away? Do you honestly believe he will play like a £70/90m player while he's sulking?

Deluded.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009

I really can't see him going for 70-90m. You guys are playing a dangerous game, but its one that worked last time you sold him.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019

Genuine question Douglas - In the back of your mind, when Zaha puts on one of his 'can be bothered' performances, in the back of your mind are you not thinking: "He's doing that to keep himself in the 'shop window'" ?

Haven't some of his more stellar turns this season been against top half clubs, i.e, potential suitors?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I really can't see him going for 70-90m. You guys are playing a dangerous game, but its one that worked last time you sold him.

Can anyone actually see him going for that fee? It would put him into the top 15 transfer fees ever, he's good (when he can be bothered) but he's nowhere near that good. Take a look at the other names in that last, he is nowhere near that level of player. They are in danger of pricing him out of a move and having an unmotivated, tantrum prone player on their books. He'll certainly be crying in a minute then.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Agreed.
We've seen what £16/£17m buys, so he's clearly worth more than that (although I accept that his wages would come into it). I think one of the top clubs could gamble £40m on him.

I’ll go for a compromise then, 30 million if anyone REALLY wants him, and that I suggest is unlikely.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here