NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
yes enjoyed it so far

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Recording it at present, currently on S2 of the Handmaid's Tale.

NB on all 4 catch up Walter Presents has some outstanding foreign dramas, just about to start Mr Avila S2

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
very enjoyable so far

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Yes. Watched episode 2 a couple of days ago. Really enjoying it so far.

I remember learning about Chernobyl at school. I've always found it a fascinating (and tragic) story.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Recording it at present, currently on S2 of the Handmaid's Tale.

NB on all 4 catch up Walter Presents has some outstanding foreign dramas, just about to start Mr Avila S2

Ever watched Kaboul Kitchen? Loved that.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
This is a superb bit of telly and lifts the lid on a story that was covered up at the time.

Apparently, you can do a bus tour of nearby Pripyat, a place where the whole town were evacuated never to return.

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
I don't know who that is, and it's bugging me.

The dad out of Friday Night Dinner.

Also really enjoying Chernobyl so far. It really is a fascinating event in history, I'm a bit of a nerd so have looked into it quite a lot over the years. Very good how they get across the details of the destruction and possible destruction, in a way that can be understood by people who aren't nuclear physicists

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Remember it well.. being based in Germany with the RAF at the time, each time an aircraft landed it was checked for radiation and decontamination as necessary.
The sand pits in the kids playgrounds were covered over ( as I assume they probably absorbed radioactive fallout when wet)

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
This is a superb bit of telly and lifts the lid on a story that was covered up at the time.

Apparently, you can do a bus tour of nearby Pripyat, a place where the whole town were evacuated never to return.

I was wondering if there was any poetic license being used. If it's sticking to the truth, particularly the potential for a much, much larger incident ensuing (rendering Ukraine and Belarus (pop. 60m) uninhabitable for 100+ years) then blimey. And there was me seeing it on the news aged 13 and, whilst harbouring a little concern at the time, pretty much getting on with things.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I was wondering if there was any poetic license being used. If it's sticking to the truth, particularly the potential for a much, much larger incident ensuing (rendering Ukraine and Belarus (pop. 60m) uninhabitable for 100+ years) then blimey. And there was me seeing it on the news aged 13 and, whilst harbouring a little concern at the time, pretty much getting on with things.

No need for poetic licence. It's a fact there were four nuclear reactors on that site and there was a real chance that a steam explosion could have destroyed the remaining three, bad enough for three guys to go on a suicide mission to prevent it happening. If anything the series is underplaying the story.

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton

Correct, you can take a tour as I was there just before Easter and it was really interesting.

Also within the Exclusion Zone was a top secret radar base which was the most advanced of it's kind at the time. Obviously it had to be abandoned but that actual receiving radar is still there and it is huge.

But getting to roam inside the buildings in the ghost-town of Pripyat was something else and they took as close as they could to the remains of the reactor.

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Westminster BHA

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Brilliant TV.

Just a coincidence but the effects of the fallout popped up in (another great series) Deutschland 86

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Correct, you can take a tour as I was there just before Easter and it was really interesting.

Also within the Exclusion Zone was a top secret radar base which was the most advanced of it's kind at the time. Obviously it had to be abandoned but that actual receiving radar is still there and it is huge.

But getting to roam inside the buildings in the ghost-town of Pripyat was something else and they took as close as they could to the remains of the reactor.

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Westminster BHA

fascinating stuff... https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/duga-radar-chernobyl-ukraine/index.html

BattFink

Jan 31, 2012
Buggers Hole
Really enjoying the series so far

I've been to the exclusion zone about 10 times now, (even got a chance to visit the power station & stand on top of reactor 2), have either caught the train in from Slavutych or stayed in Chernobyl town

Well worth a visit

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Went there last year, fascinating place and a trip well worth doing (as is a visit to Kiev)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here