Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Liverpool fans have their doubts about us...

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
I work with at least 3 plastic scousers and as much as I don't want us to roll over on Sunday I wouldn't argue with a spirited 0-1 loss just to see their faces in the coming days.

One has only seen Liverpool once and that was Jimmy Case's testimonial, the other wears Liverpool shirts to work and the 3rd used to be an Albion season ticket holder until Liverpool looked remotely capable of winning something again. That and I married a Manc and therefore I couldn't possibly want anything good happening to Liverpool.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I agree to a certain extent. I’d be lying if I said I haven’t seen some pissed up scousers kicking off for no reason but I think there’s another reason there too.

The Irish/Welsh/Lancashire melting pot meant that made up modern Liverpool drew the lowest rung of those societies in for work so, historically they are belligerent and passionate like their forbears.

Go out i Dublin and you’ll see EXACTLY the same stuff, people arguing, sometimes violently, about utter tripe.

I don’t agree that Liverpool and the level of deprivation visited there is equivalent to many other cities. Liverpool topped every table in terms of unemployment, drug addiction, political upheaval for most of the late seventies and into the 80s. I know it was hard on Newcastle, Glasgow, Birmingham etc. But pretty much every social study at that time ranked Liverpool as “the most deprived city in Europe”

Listen. I was born in Brighton. I’m a Brightonian, not a Liverpudlian but, because of Family breakup I was moved to just about the most deprived area of Liverpool and can say with hand on heart that the overwhelming majority of folk there are proud and decent. I know there’s some right bellends there and I know they harp on about Hillsborough etc. But I put a lot of it down to their feelings of pride and “in it together”. Things we don’t have in Brighton, a city of incomers, with a whole different take on what’s right and wrong when done to others in our community.

BHAFC core support, the demonstrators, the protest marchers, the letter writers, the media botherers..have a LOT more in common with the average LFC fan FROM LIVERPOOL. Than any of City’s hangers on and glory hunters.

Well I grew up in the East End of Glasgow - I was there longer early 60s till late 80s and I can assure you, it was no bed of roses growing up. Same issues, melting pot of Scots and Irish and thrown in was the added pressure of Religious Bigotry and the feeling of Subserviancy to Westminster

Yes they have a bit of a chip on their shoulder and I find them one of the most Racist Nations in the world and that is coming from a Scotsman. I don't like that side to them and I am not proud of it - However, Scottish People could laugh watching an egg boil.

I don't hold with the fact that people should cling on to past negatives as a justification for current day behaviour. It may be a mitigating factor but it most certainly shouldn't be used as an excuse.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
Oh yeah. I can’t stand them either.

I’m with Danny Baker. Get a map of England. Stick a pin where you were born. The nearest League club to there is YOUR team.

I’ll allow for family / historic ties..say for example your Dad hails from Liverpool and indoctrinated you from birth. Anything else is SHITHOUSE.

What do you do if you weren't born in England?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
What did your old man say?

My old man really DID say 'Be a Palace fan!' He was a Palace fan from Thornton Heath as was his father before him. (And Grandad used to watch Palace before they moved to Selhurst Park). I moved to Sussex when I was 8 when my parents got divorced. As a boy I used to support Chelsea, but constant trips to the Goldstone wore me down, and by the time I was 14 I was 100% Brighton.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
In sport, the funniest outcome is always the best outcome. Ergo I'm trying to think of what the funniest outcome would be on Sunday.

Current thinking is we give the Scousers hope only to throw it away right at the end. Lewis Dunk OG in the 89th minute to win the title?

monty uk

Sep 25, 2018
Well said. I was born in Brighton, but spent several years living in Toxteth - and thoroughly enjoyed my time there. Stood on The Kop (the real one!) occasionally - a great experience; occasionally watched Everton too for that matter - but Brighton always remained my team. :facepalm:

Blimey, I did exactly the same in the late 70s, Brighton - Toxteth. One hell of a contrast. Even had a room for a few weeks in a house in Anfield Road - worst dump I have ever lived in, could only see the rear wall of the Kop from the window. Lived near Portsmouth for the last 35+ years but come back to watch the Albion.

It's where you are from.

el punal

Oh yeah. I can’t stand them either.

I’m with Danny Baker. Get a map of England. Stick a pin where you were born. The nearest League club to there is YOUR team.

I’ll allow for family / historic ties..say for example your Dad hails from Liverpool and indoctrinated you from birth. Anything else is SHITHOUSE.

I glad you posted your last paragraph. I was born in Norfolk so does that mean I have to support Delia’s Dumplings, AKA Nodge City? :eek:

I suppose as I never supported a football team until I moved to Sussex, when I was eleven, the Albion are my default team. This has been the case for over five decades. Being an honourable and persuasive sort of fellow I have indoctrinated my wife (from Southampton), our two daughters (born and raised in Southampton), both sons in law, my grandchildren (born and living in Croydon! :eek:) into supporting OUR glorious team !

So big pat on the back for smug old me. :drink:

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I glad you posted your last paragraph. I was born in Norfolk so does that mean I have to support Delia’s Dumplings, AKA Nodge City? :eek:

I suppose as I never supported a football team until I moved to Sussex, when I was eleven, the Albion are my default team. This has been the case for over five decades. Being an honourable and persuasive sort of fellow I have indoctrinated my wife (from Southampton), our two daughters (born and raised in Southampton), both sons in law, my grandchildren (born and living in Croydon! :eek:) into supporting OUR glorious team !

So big pat on the back for smug old me. :drink:

It all depends on whether you lust after your sister or your mum. If you don’t...you baint be praaper Naaarfolk.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Blimey, I did exactly the same in the late 70s, Brighton - Toxteth. One hell of a contrast. Even had a room for a few weeks in a house in Anfield Road - worst dump I have ever lived in, could only see the rear wall of the Kop from the window. Lived near Portsmouth for the last 35+ years but come back to watch the Albion.

It's where you are from.

Me...Worthing to Kirby in 1976. I was terrified.

Anyway. I’m glad I spent my school years in Liverpool. They are, without doubt, the kindest and friendliest people I’ve ever had the pleasure to know.

Not all of them, obviously, but many.

These days there are almost none of my mates still there. The “generation dole” left by the tories have spawned a whole generation of gobshites.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
In sport, the funniest outcome is always the best outcome. Ergo I'm trying to think of what the funniest outcome would be on Sunday.

Current thinking is we give the Scousers hope only to throw it away right at the end. Lewis Dunk OG in the 89th minute to win the title?

We win, Liverpool draw. City win the league on goal diff. The meltdown would be glorious

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Exactly. Pep walked into a squad ready to be Champions. Klopp didn’t and has also relied on British talent (Henderson, Milner, Alexander-Arnold and Robertson) whilst building a really exciting squad.

Would love it if we were the team to stop City.

PG got a squad ready to be champions just because they had won it in recent years. They still have English players, Delph, Stones, Foden, Sterling, Walker. This rubbish about City being the team buying the league and Liverpool aren't. VVD £70m, that's more than City paid for their most expensive player, Riyad Mahrez.

They are both as bad as each other in terms of money talking.

el punal

It all depends on whether you lust after your sister or your mum. If you don’t...you baint be praaper Naaarfolk.

I left Norfolk when I was one year old. The old man was in the RAF and he/we got posted elsewhere. I just did a quick count on my hands and the number of appendages comes to 12, sorry, I mean 10. Didn’t notice any sheep in that neck of the woods (so I’ve been informed) so not bothered about that side of things. No sister - so okay on that score. My Mum was my Mum - no naughtiness there.

So I got out out in time, therefore, as you say, I ain’t prapper Naarfolk! :angel:

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
I left Norfolk when I was one year old. The old man was in the RAF and he/we got posted elsewhere. I just did a quick count on my hands and the number of appendages comes to 12, sorry, I mean 10. Didn’t notice any sheep in that neck of the woods (so I’ve been informed) so not bothered about that side of things. No sister - so okay on that score. My Mum was my Mum - no naughtiness there.

So I got out out in time, therefore, as you say, I ain’t prapper Naarfolk! :angel:

Phew. I more month and you’d have hairy palms and a whole different take on the phrase “roll your own”

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
The only time I have been to Liverpool I caught pneumonia. The only time I have been to Manchester I nearly got run over by a tram.

Albion to win, Liverpool to draw seems the best outcome really.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here