Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] THFC Stadium

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Great stadium and if we had got a point I’d have said no more, but as I’m currently eating sour grapes: it could generate a great atmosphere if the arrogant home fans sang a bit more and didn’t leave it to the away fans. Usual nightmare of getting a beer. Cashless works well if their machines work ( too often they didn’t).

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Nice stadium but nowhere to rest your pint.

4/10.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Tiny concourse, and getting to and away from it made the Amex look a doddle. Seats were small and uncomfortable and close together. Stand opposite away end very impressive. Did not think the acoustics were that great.

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
Acoustics were terrible.

Half time presenter worse!

Apart from that stunning.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Going to check later that it didn't go through. Only used it once that day and hardly use my card as I'm a cash guy.

I find the idea of cash a pain in the arse. The U.K. is quite advanced with contactless; I rarely pay for anything in cash when I’m visiting these days. I go a whole match day without handing hard money; long may it continue to grow.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Looks good to me if it ends up anything like the concepts.

Small distance away from Griffin Park. Good luck to them.

I was stuck on the A4 alongside it last week and it looked a very strange build. I know they were hemmed in and had a triangular plot so probably best to wait and see when its done.

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
Looks good to me if it ends up anything like the concepts.

Small distance away from Griffin Park. Good luck to them.

Does their new ground have a pub in each corner though.....?

Enjoyed the new WHL, just imagine if the north stand at the Amex had been built similar to the Spurs home end..??

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Aah...my pet hate. There you are in your seat, reasonably comfortable, then all of a sudden you find yourself squeezed, encroached upon. You realise a group of lads are ' over-occupying ' seats next to you. Had it at Palace, at Chelsea and at Wolves. You find yourself being pushed along the line, ever so slightly, bit by bit, as the lads engineer a little bit more space for themselves.
Stewards seem to let it go all the time, so it will keep happening.

Happens in the NS most matches. Baffling. But we are all blue & white and a little bit of squidgy up never hurt anybody.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Does their new ground have a pub in each corner though.....?

Enjoyed the new WHL, just imagine if the north stand at the Amex had been built similar to the Spurs home end..??

Biggest criticism of our ground is there was no thought put into having a home end like the old North.

Worse still the current North was not advertised in such a way to get the demographic needed for a loud home end, I go in there on occasions and can see why it's so difficult to get the whole stand going.

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
Biggest criticism of our ground is there was no thought put into having a home end like the old North.

Worse still the current North was not advertised in such a way to get the demographic needed for a loud home end, I go in there on occasions and can see why it's so difficult to get the whole stand going.

I agree it should've been made bigger, however the atmosphere would improve in there if they sang as one.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The pies and sausage rolls were from our very own Piglets Pantry.

I also spied Beavertown-battered tofu and chips on a concourse menu, which has to be the best veggie option I've seen in a ground anywhere. I didn't get a chance to try it though - any reports?

Didn’t realise that - had a sausage roll and thought they were v similar (and superb). I also thought there had been a mistake at the till when I was charged £4 for the pastry behemoth and a drink - at Selhurst a sad worse-than-Greggs sausage roll was £4 on it’s own.

Aah...my pet hate. There you are in your seat, reasonably comfortable, then all of a sudden you find yourself squeezed, encroached upon. You realise a group of lads are ' over-occupying ' seats next to you. Had it at Palace, at Chelsea and at Wolves. You find yourself being pushed along the line, ever so slightly, bit by bit, as the lads engineer a little bit more space for themselves.
Stewards seem to let it go all the time, so it will keep happening.

Happened at pretty much every away game I’ve been to.....but at WHL the stewards in my block weren’t allowing it. They were also happy to shunt a few people around who wanted to sit down - moving them to the front and asking others if they wouldn’t mind moving. All very friendly, too.

Bit of verbal with the middle tier after the game but it was just a handful of gobby lads leaning over. They were moved on as well.

Thought the stadium was magnificent, particularly the sweeping far end single tier. The atmosphere was quiet though - didn’t hear a lot from Spurs. My Spurs STH colleague thought we were noisy and constant. Even the Travel wasn’t too bad - I was slow getting out of the stadium but only waited about 30 mins for a train from WHL to Liverpool St. I’ve waited longer at Falmer for a Lewes train after an evening game at the Amex.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

I agree that at the design stage it would have been good if the North Stand had been made a little larger or more steeply raked. But I don't believe the initial advertising is the reason why the current demographics are out of step with a loud 'home end.' I believe that is purely a function of a high percentage of STHs and a relatively low ST turnover rate. In the (nearly) 8 years since the Amex opened, how many North Stand STHs have given up their seats? Not that many I would guess. In fact I should imagine the profile of the crowd has remained broadly unchanged, except everyone is now 8 years older.

This is the issue Crystal Palace have attempted to address by voiding all the STs for the seats directly behind the goal in the Holmesdale End and shipping in the HF instead. In many cases, the displaced STHs had held the same seats since that stand was built in 1994. To me, that was an unpalatable solution to the issue; but if we don't want to go down that route then we will have to accept that the average age of the North Stand is simply going to get older and older and older and the days of a 'loud' home end will be consigned to history.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

The home end was originally going to be the south.

Mr H

Mar 8, 2012
LA
Apart from the team performance(99%), the view, the atmosphere, ease of access and pre-match beer are important for me. Luckily, it being an Albion away game, the atmosphere was good. The rest, nothing special. Especially the beer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here