Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Kayal

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Kayal tweeted 3 'shrug' emojis when the team was announced. Any player not involved must have been gutted, Kayal and March especially.

In March's case of course, that was down to injury.

Kayal should have been on the bench for me - he's proven, hungry and pretty adaptable. Very curious decision tbh.

In hindsight though, had he been there, we still would have made the same three subs - as it panned out. Still a pity that he was denied the chance to be involved though.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Shame for Kayal - he does deserve more game time.

But looking at time sheet on Saturday, really not sure who I'd replace for him.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
In March's case of course, that was down to injury.

Kayal should have been on the bench for me - he's proven, hungry and pretty adaptable. Very curious decision tbh.

In hindsight though, had he been there, we still would have made the same three subs - as it panned out. Still a pity that he was denied the chance to be involved though.

Bit of a shame that Bruno couldn't have made a cameo. I imagine, if we had been a few behind, he would have.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Agree about Kayal, not about Ryan.

In my opinion Beram is one of the best midfielders we have - and to drop out the squad like he has this year is baffling....especially when you consider everybody has been saying its our weakest area for the last few weeks. Im probably one of a minority that thinks he should be ahead of Stephens, and IMO offers a lot more to the team than #6 does.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The one point that did seem to show on Saturday was The Gem assertion from his source that Izy is not fit. He showed it in his brief appearance. with his lack of running for which he is renowned.

PoG

Oct 29, 2013
The one point that did seem to show on Saturday was The Gem assertion from his source that Izy is not fit. He showed it in his brief appearance. with his lack of running for which he is renowned.

If this is true why would we play him?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The Gem says he is injured and hinted that he can only play for a limited amount of time ie 20 mins and was going to have a knee operation in the summer. That is what I was saying looked evident as he showed no signs or trying a run .

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Kayal chip in with goals? Not in this league. He's got one this season when he happened to get in the way of a shot at Newcastle and fortuitously deflected it past the keeper!

He's a good player and arguably could have been on the bench but we had Andone, Locadia, Button, Bong, Burn, Izzy and and club captain, Bruno. If he was to be on the bench then it would have been in place of Bong.

Comical comments about Ryan. Get over it, he is far better than Button.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I think that it sent a message that the writing is on the wall for Kayal but then many will say I would say that. Also those that he should have been on the bench instead of whom?

Bong

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I could understand Hughton feeling that Kayal needs to be upgraded on in the summer, that's perfectly fair and he fairly obviously doesn't rate him as highly as our other midfielders. But why leave him off the bench? What was the point of having both Bong and Bruno on the bench? I would have had Bruno, only. He's the better of the two and it would have meant we could have had the option of bringing on Kayal.

I had assumed that he must be injured, or that Hughton's thinking was that if we were going to lose a central midfielder, it would be to add a striker and that was why he wanted both Locadia and Andone on the bench. Maybe that it is what it was, but I don't think you can justify having all of Bruno, Bong and Burn on the bench at the expense of a midfield option.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Agree about Kayal, not about Ryan.

In my opinion Beram is one of the best midfielders we have - and to drop out the squad like he has this year is baffling....especially when you consider everybody has been saying its our weakest area for the last few weeks. Im probably one of a minority that thinks he should be ahead of Stephens, and IMO offers a lot more to the team than #6 does.

Couldn't have put it better.

Kayal is competitive, energetic and is always looking to play a forward ball and can run with the ball too. All that and he has a bit of the "nasty" about him. My kind of midfielder but clearly not the manager's. Maybe Kayal is just a little bit adventurous and attack minded for a CH midfielder?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Kayal is competitive, energetic and is always looking to play a forward ball and can run with the ball too. All that and he has a bit of the "nasty" about him. My kind of midfielder but clearly not the manager's. Maybe Kayal is just a little bit adventurous and attack minded for a CH midfielder?

This. If Kayal moves on, it'll be some other club's tremendous gain and IMHO the Albion's loss.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
The Gem says he is injured and hinted that he can only play for a limited amount of time ie 20 mins and was going to have a knee operation in the summer. That is what I was saying looked evident as he showed no signs or trying a run .

Really ? ? ?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Hughton is always going to have to leave players out of their matchday squad if most are fit.
On Saturday I'm struggling, despite everyone saying he should have been in the squad, to understand the arguments for who Kayal would have replaced ? A goalkeeper, 2 strikers, a winger, a centre back and a full back seems obvious.
Which leaves a full back vs a midfielder. Bong vs Kayal ? or a striker maybe Locadia vs Kayal ?
but yep harsh on him and no surprise he was annoyed. Who wouldn't be ?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I was much more surprised Kayal didn't get a game last Wednesday TBH. Stephens, Bissouma and Propper had all been really poor for a few games and I felt a change was needed then.

As it turned out, all three were (IMHO) fantastic at Wembley, but I can see why Kayal is frustrated as he can't get into the team in an area where we've massively underperformed for weeks.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I for one thought that Kayal had earned the right to be included having played the qualifiers, he has every right to be pissed off.
His inclusion may have made a difference as he is a good player, as proved in the qualifiers.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I suspect Hughton was looking at having fresh defenders in extra time, particularly with the 4th sub.

Meaning 3 defenders on the bench for this one.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

The ''half chances'' that have fallen to us in recent games have fallen to Kayal . I din't see the net bulging from them. I like Kayal. I think he is a decent player but the others are better all round players

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here