Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I've just watched the finish video from Sunday. My "bit" is hilarious:

SPRINT - JOG - WALK - STOP WATCH - WINCE

It does show that I beat a be-shirted Watford fan on gun time by about 2 seconds so not all bad.

Managed to get out this morning for a very ploddy 4 miles. DOMS all over the shop but no lasting hamstring damage. [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] the battle is truly on :thumbsup:

Good show. Glad you’re back on track. I’m not quite where I wanna be at this stage of training. This is bad news for you as I’ll now merrily sit in at 8:50 to 9:00 pace and wait for your blistering start to take it’s affect....That’s the plan pure and simple.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Inspired by [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] - I've looked at my stats on Strava, I've hit 148.0 miles in February so far. I've got another 10 miler tomorrow, targeting 8:30 per mile. I'm thinking about running the River Adur path to Bramber and back down again. It's an 8 mile loop so I'll need to run a bit more of the path to make it a full 10 miler. I love it up that way, especially when it's unseasonably warm.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I’ll lob in 296 miles in Jan/Feb combined (despite a week away working and a two week holiday in January). Mostly slow or very slow stuff but still managed a 12 month+ parkrun PB. Steady increase in volume has been pleasing........

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Inspired by [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] - I've looked at my stats on Strava, I've hit 148.0 miles in February so far. I've got another 10 miler tomorrow, targeting 8:30 per mile. I'm thinking about running the River Adur path to Bramber and back down again. It's an 8 mile loop so I'll need to run a bit more of the path to make it a full 10 miler. I love it up that way, especially when it's unseasonably warm.

Steal my thunder, why don't you :lol:

I'm half a mile from the toll bridge and up to Beeding Bridge (East) and back down the other side, stopping just short of home) is 8.11 miles. Start by Ropetackle up the riverside path and come down the new path adjacent to the airport and then back over the Norfolk bridge you'll probably be at 10 miles :thumbsup:

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
First two months of the year I’ve hit 100 miles with 205 YTD.

Track session tonight in Halifax not at full pelt as recovering from Sunday still.

Building up to the Hastings HM now which will be the first time I’ve run it.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Good start to the year with a slow 135 miles in Jan but 2 weeks inactivity in Feb led to only 75 inc tomorrow’s run. So 210 for year.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
210 for the year for me, 106 of those in Feb despite a cold. Keeps me ahead of one of my aims for the year of 1000 miles. Puts me nowhere near the top of the Strava club league.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Had a long weekend in Dorset over the w/e just gone.

The kids (9 and 7) woke me up at 7am because they wanted to take part in the local Junior Park Run (despite of the thick frost covering the car) as they are now on an unbroken run of 20 Junior Park Runs. Luckily, Upton House Junior Park Run near Poole was pretty close and a lovely course. My daughter managed her quickest ever JPR and my son turned in a decent time too. They have now participated in JPRs in 5 counties: Essex, Herts, Cambs, Worcestershire and now Dorset.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
252 miles for me so far this year. Most of that was in January. February has been taper - marathon - recovery. Almost fully recovered, so I'll be settling back into a regular running pattern again in March.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Had a long weekend in Dorset over the w/e just gone.

The kids (9 and 7) woke me up at 7am because they wanted to take part in the local Junior Park Run (despite of the thick frost covering the car) as they are now on an unbroken run of 20 Junior Park Runs. Luckily, Upton House Junior Park Run near Poole was pretty close and a lovely course. My daughter managed her quickest ever JPR and my son turned in a decent time too. They have now participated in JPRs in 5 counties: Essex, Herts, Cambs, Worcestershire and now Dorset.

:clap2:

That's fantastic.

Mine are 12 and 8. They're active - one plays football and the other climbs at the local Bouldering centre - but they absolutely hate running and think I'm quite mad :lolol:

A shame because JPR is such a positive thing and running in general is healthy and cheap (at least until you become an adult and spend all your spare cash on hi viz gear, shoes, gels, energy bars and races)

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
...JPR is such a positive thing

Agree 100%

And it isn't just the health benefits of kids engaging in physical activity. It has changed our family life so positively in ways I could never have imagined. Sunday mornings used to be a bit of a write-off, but we just never realised. We would all get up, have a slow start to the day, maybe go supermarket shopping and the after that the day would finally start around noon.

But now we are all up, dressed and out by 7am. The kids take part in JPR with maybe 100+ like-minded children with fantastic volunteers marshalling the event, leading the warm-up, recording times and offering unstinting encouragement to everyone. Then we get home and everyone is energised and happy and it is still only 10am! The children are desperate to see their results, check their stats, see if they have moved up in the 'fastest 500', work out how many more runs till the icon next to their name changes colour and they get another wrist band etc.

It is one of the few things that we all go and do as a family and it makes a real difference to the whole weekend. It was a PE teacher at my children's school who leads the afterschool running club who introduced us to JPR and it is one of the best things that has ever happened to us a family.

Last edited:

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Only 162 miles ytd for me - am I slacking? Did manage about 150 miles skiing last week as well though.

Great evening for a run - 45 mins at around 7:30/mile - felt good. Will be pacing 23 mins at the Prom on Saturday. Anyone else there?

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Hi
Agree 100%

And it isn't just the health benefits of kids engaging in physical activity. It has changed our family life so positively in ways I could never have imagined. Sunday mornings used to be a bit of a write-off, but we just never realised. We would all get up, have a slow start to the day, maybe go supermarket shopping and the after that the day would finally start around noon.

But now we are all up, dressed and out by 7am. The kids take part in JPR with maybe 100+ like-minded children with fantastic volunteers marshalling the event, leading the warm-up, recording times and offering unstinting encouragement to everyone. Then we get home and everyone is energised and happy and it is still only 10am! The children are desperate to see their results, check their stats, see if they have moved up in the 'fastest 500', work out how many more runs till the icon next to their name changes colour and they get another wrist band etc.

It is one of the few things that we all go and do as a family and it makes a real difference to the whole weekend. It was a PE teacher at my children's school who leads the afterschool running club who introduced us to JPR and it is one of the best things that has ever happened to us a family.

Great post.��

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Agree 100%

Fantastic stuff........absolutely fantastic

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Only 162 miles ytd for me - am I slacking? Did manage about 150 miles skiing last week as well though.

Great evening for a run - 45 mins at around 7:30/mile - felt good. Will be pacing 23 mins at the Prom on Saturday. Anyone else there?

Outside chance I might pop down and trot round for a recovery run - it’ll be slower than 23 mins if I do though.....

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Steal my thunder, why don't you :lol:

I'm half a mile from the toll bridge and up to Beeding Bridge (East) and back down the other side, stopping just short of home) is 8.11 miles. Start by Ropetackle up the riverside path and come down the new path adjacent to the airport and then back over the Norfolk bridge you'll probably be at 10 miles :thumbsup:

No regrets! I did pretty much exactly what you mentioned, it wasn't quite right so I ran across the footbridge and back over again, that got me to 10. I ran it in just short of 8 minutes per mile, I was aiming more for 8:30 per mile but I'll take slightly sub 8 at this stage.

Seaford parkrun sounds good to me! I'm not 100% sure I'll be up in the sort of time needed to get over there, but it's definitely one to throw into the mix.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Thanks for info. Another one turn course. Could be a fast one. http://www.parkrun.org.uk/seafordbeach/course/
Think I'll visit after BM.
Saturday I'll jog behind [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] at Prom, week after maybe Bevendean for Hastings Half training.

Seaford is the windiest place in the World, so it will be fast in one direction, slow in the other.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Best running start to a year so far for me, with 289 miles run in January and February, and two PBs (5k and HM). Since I retired from full-time work last October, my running has definitely been one area of my life that has hugely benefited (along with my ability to get to away games). It's also great to have the option to run during the day in winter and when it's not raining.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here