Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Southern Rail.......

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
This is such a contemptible way to speak about a human being.

Actually it is more of a philosophical issue. What drives human nature? If one accepts that a dog is driven by its master’s love, then a drug addict is lesser than a dog in valuation of human interaction, because he or she is driven by their own chemical dependency, rather than a human correlatory relationship.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
I'm playing the devils advocate here... but how do you know he's homeless? I haven't watched with the audio on to be fair.
He could've done his shopping and then passed out?
We have no proof he was hit with the mop first, it's hearsay from the person who filmed it and put it social media.
If we were to go to our workplace or home everyday/night and there were people sat on the doorstep doing whatever, would we not politely ask them to bugger off the first few times. Maybe give them some food or something like that if they looked like they needed it.
But seriously, can anyone on this thread say that they wouldn't get the hump if they had done the above suggestions and still day after day they had to step over someone to get to their home/work and clean up after someone else they didn't know?
I'm not saying the Southern Fail workers are right to do what they did because i don't think they were, however there has to be a balance of rights.
Should I have the right to walk into my work or home without having to step over someone. Should I just say 'It's ok 'll clean up after them' because they may be homeless?
I've given money to buskers, beggars, chuggers, direct debits to charity and can empathise with pretty much everyone, no matter what their situation (no that's not being altruistic either).
But where does it stop, where do you draw the line between helping and enabling?
Just to clarify again that i don't think the Southern Fail approach was the best idea though, however they may have been there for 3 hours already with their line manager saying to them ..'just get it cleaned and get rid of him before you're sacked'

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
I work in emergency housing. Some people genuinely choose to be homeless. I’ve been threatened with being stabbed 3 times this month. It’s not nice. And unfortunately. Some of these people who sleep in the doorways and are rude. Have chosen that lifestyle as they cannot look after themselves

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'm playing the devils advocate here... but how do you know he's homeless?
Even if he wasn't, it's not ok to pour dirty water onto someone.
We have no proof he was hit with the mop first, it's hearsay from the person who filmed it and put it social media.
Ok, but it's still not ok to pour dirty water onto someone.
If we were to go to our workplace or home everyday/night and there were people sat on the doorstep doing whatever, would we not politely ask them to bugger off the first few times. Maybe give them some food or something like that if they looked like they needed it.
Yes.
But seriously, can anyone on this thread say that they wouldn't get the hump if they had done the above suggestions and still day after day they had to step over someone to get to their home/work and clean up after someone else they didn't know?
I might very well get the hump, but I wouldn't assault them. They were complete c*nts.

however they may have been there for 3 hours already with their line manager saying to them ..'just get it cleaned and get rid of him before you're sacked'
Now if they were sacked for not 'getting rid of' a homeless person, then I'd be on their side, and Southern Rail would get even more criticism. I don't believe those employees had the authority to remove him. That's the job of the police.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I work in emergency housing. Some people genuinely choose to be homeless. I’ve been threatened with being stabbed 3 times this month. It’s not nice. And unfortunately. Some of these people who sleep in the doorways and are rude. Have chosen that lifestyle as they cannot look after themselves
If they really cannot look after themselves, then they've not really chosen that lifestyle.

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
If they really cannot look after themselves, then they've not really chosen that lifestyle.

They get a room with a bed. Fridge. Cooking facilities. Communal showers and toilets. They pay £20 a week. And some can’t keep up with payments. Use the rooms as a drug den. Piss. Shit. And leave needles all over the place. So yeah. Some people don’t deserve help. Trust me on that one.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
They get a room with a bed. Fridge. Cooking facilities. Communal showers and toilets. They pay £20 a week. And some can’t keep up with payments. Use the rooms as a drug den. Piss. Shit. And leave needles all over the place. So yeah. Some people don’t deserve help. Trust me on that one.
So those with mental health problems and drug addiction don't deserve help? I know it's not easy to help these people, I don't have a solution, but I wouldn't say they don't deserve help.

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
I do my best with what I can. It’s hard. Some have really bad mental health problems. Others play on it. Some of the people we get are truly horrible people.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Do you carry the attitude you’re displaying on here into work?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I do my best with what I can. It’s hard.
Good job, and I know it is.
Some have really bad mental health problems. Others play on it. Some of the people we get are truly horrible people.
I'm sure they are, which of course can be soul destroying when you're trying to help people. Sadly a lot of people who aren't bad, really struggle with the world we live in, even when help is offered to them.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Do you carry the attitude you’re displaying on here into work?
That's a bit harsh. I assume he's just venting. Half of us would be out of a job if we behaved at work the way we do here :)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
Good point well made!

No. I’m actually leaving tomorrow and starting a new job in a few weeks. I love helping people and people in my building are sad I’m leaving. They’ve said I’m the best caretaker they’ve had.

It’s frustrating to work there. But I love seeing people turn their lives around.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
So I have a question. When I go to open my shop in Brighton I find a homeless person camped in front most mornings. They stink, leave an absolute mess, use shop entrances as toilets, refuse to move and swear at me because I've a business to run.
What would you do? And if you say 'ask them to leave nicely' what would you do on day 2 or 3 or 4 or a week later when once again you have to wash down the shop front.
Well?

saw a bloke pissing in a shop doorway last night and they're not homeless, they live down the road from me

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here