Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Bbc1 - Paul Barber

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Duck me. I've taken loads of kids to the Amex over the last 5 years, and never had a problem. If I listen to Barber, I would never take the risk in future.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You and me know that but hopefully any kids watching that won't be scared of coming to the Amex.

I didn't know anything about what happened at the Amex last Saturday until I saw the post on here ( Monday ) I think.
No mention on here or Twitter Saturday or Sunday, and I was surprised when I saw the words serious disorder.

Somebody did post on Nsc about trouble at the station.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Having read the threads etc

I am so disappointed in Paul Barber. We undoubtedly ( IMHO) have the best CEO in the whole of football, but this constantr "look at me" attitude by Mr. Barber has tarnished the image of the club far more than three disgruntled and seriously over exuberant fans.
Agreed. Barber has handled this really badly. Hopefully he will get some feedback and learn from the experience.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Agreed. Barber has handled this really badly. Hopefully he will get some feedback and learn from the experience.

It doesn't help when fans misread the original announcement and embellish it. A season ticket holder I know was talking about it, on Facebook, saying it happened in the stands, when it clearly said Firstly a small group of so-called supporters initiated a very cowardly attack on unsuspecting West Bromwich Albion supporters as they made their way along Station Approach
That in itself is a big difference. It wasn't actually at the match but the north side of the station.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Duck me. I've taken loads of kids to the Amex over the last 5 years, and never had a problem. If I listen to Barber, I would never take the risk in future.

Can't help but feel that Barber's throwing fuel on the fire on this one. It could have been dealt with quietly by the club via an unemotive club statement and followed up by the police as necessary. Instead his tub thumping is making parents and others think twice about taking kids to the Amex. Which is a real shame.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Can't help but feel that Barber's throwing fuel on the fire on this one. It could have been dealt with quietly by the club via an unemotive club statement and followed up by the police as necessary. Instead his tub thumping is making parents and others think twice about taking kids to the Amex. Which is a real shame.
But then what would be the point of making a grand statement 'lifetime bans' but not backing it up?

FWIW I agree the Albion has always been a safe football environment, despite what others might say on here we have always been lovers (runners) not fighters, making the blanket coverage of this somewhat out of step.

I guess in light of recent events Babs has decided to be on the right side of history taking a short term hit in order to not only send a message to knobbers coming to the Albion but also to the other clubs who do fook all.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Why make the grand statement about life bans then? Rather odd.

Shock tactics as a warning but all seems very OTT to me the way this incident is being played out in the media

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Personally I have no issue with the club having a zero tolerance policy with knobheads. And the Albion’s swift approach is strikingly different to West Ham’s which was in the news yesterday. They have finally removed Nik Tucker from their supporters board for dubious comments posted on his website.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
But then what would be the point of making a grand statement 'lifetime bans' but not backing it up?

FWIW I agree the Albion has always been a safe football environment, despite what others might say on here we have always been lovers (runners) not fighters, making the blanket coverage of this somewhat out of step.

I guess in light of recent events Babs has decided to be on the right side of history taking a short term hit in order to not only send a message to knobbers coming to the Albion but also to the other clubs who do fook all.

For sure, but then he ges on the BBC and suddenly we're inextricably linked in some people's minds with Millwall v Everton and the old hoolie days. There's been more than one person on here who's reportedly now been told by a family member 'Right that's it you're not taking my son/daughter to the Amex any more'. Like I say, it's a real shame.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Everytime there is an incident that nationals show interest Barbers profile continues to rise. Sure his aim is as a big wig with FA

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
For sure, but then he ges on the BBC and suddenly we're inextricably linked in some people's minds with Millwall v Everton and the old hoolie days. There's been more than one person on here who's reportedly now been told by a family member 'Right that's it you're not taking my son/daughter to the Amex any more'. Like I say, it's a real shame.

I see his end result to this as being sat on a panel of talking heads when the chair says to the representative of Millwall, Leeds et al as they are asked the question:-

'Why can't you be more like Brighton?'

Also if I were him, and most definitely if I were one of the Albion fans caught 'that night', I'd be so unbelievably pi$$ed off with palace for their response to storming the AMEX.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

We really are through the looking glass now. Isn't it fans who according to the statement, unprovoked, attacked West Brom fans, assaulted a female steward and threatened to stab her in front of kids, and assaulted and abused a female crowd doctor trying to help that particular steward, who have made parents think twice.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Everytime there is an incident that nationals show interest Barbers profile continues to rise. Sure his aim is as a big wig with FA

He has been a big wig at the FA already I think, Chief Executive

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
As soon as I read Barbers missive on this, I was reminded of the bottle top email - which I shouldn’t have been given how different the subject matter is.

I don’t know the stats of how many arrests there are per game at grounds but it’s not as if no one gets arrested, ever, when going to a game. Fan behaves like a dickhead, fan gets arrested. Move on.

I am thoroughly sick of being treated like a naughty schoolboy by Barber through the patronising and condescending tone he uses in his communications. It started with threatening of season ticket holders with death for letting someone else use their ticket, moved on to saying bottle tops were deadly crime weapons and now tarring us all with the same brush as three idiots who got themselves arrested at the ground.

Barber is obviously a good CEO in many ways - but we as fans are people, not a bunch of itinerants waiting for our next telling off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
We really are through the looking glass now. Isn't it fans who according to the statement, unprovoked, attacked West Brom fans, assaulted a female steward and threatened to stab her in front of kids, and assaulted and abused a female crowd doctor trying to help that particular steward, who have made parents think twice.

Shame you didn't highlight the first half of my post instead.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here