Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The Award-winning official "More Snow Tomorrow?" Thread [2023-24 Season]

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The whole resort is closed today due to the weather!

I was going to post that myself. And the heavy snow hasn't arrived yet.

The snow they've been having for the past 24 hours is restricted to the mountains. It's interested to watch the radar loop as you can see it's classic Orographic precipitation, where unstable, moisture laden air is forced up by a mountain range (in this case the Pyrenees) and a stationary and localised area of rain (in this case snow) is created.

The heavier stuff will coincide with the more organised rain to the north reaching the area. They're expecting 40cm of new snow tonight alone!

Orographic Snow.png

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I was going to post that myself. And the heavy snow hasn't arrived yet.

The snow they've been having for the past 24 hours is restricted to the mountains. It's interested to watch the radar loop as you can see it's classic Orographic precipitation, where unstable, moisture laden air is forced up by a mountain range (in this case the Pyrenees) and a stationary and localised area of rain (in this case snow) is created.

The heavier stuff will coincide with the more organised rain to the north reaching the area. They're expecting 40cm of new snow tonight alone!

View attachment 81180

Amazing. We were skiing in France a few years ago when there was a massive snowstorm overnight. The cars parked outside the apartment were just slightly higher bumps than the rest of the road.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
And 48 hours after it started, it's still snowing in Andorra (for [MENTION=3711]Driver8[/MENTION] )

More Snow Andorra.png

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Over here (St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada) we have forecasts ranging from 10-60cm of snow starting tomorrow (Friday) afternoon until well in to Saturday. Any chance you'd wanna take a stab at snowfall levels, too?

I fully understand if you're busy. But if you don't ask, you don't get...! Cheers!

the data is based on a location sort of near where you are (which looks a very interesting place, jutting out into the Atlantic as it does).

graphe_ens3_fbj0.gif

It looks like today will see some snow, but not anywhere near 60cm where you are. (the 6Z run confirms this, but it's not finished generating the charts yet).

The back end of next week looks like you might get something, but it'll be warmer (above freezing) so that may be a rain / snow mix... probably trending towards snow as the temps drop again,

After that it looks colder and some snow chances.

Marty McFly

Seagulls Over Canada
Aug 19, 2006
La Pêche, Quebec
the data is based on a location sort of near where you are (which looks a very interesting place, jutting out into the Atlantic as it does).

View attachment 81309

It looks like today will see some snow, but not anywhere near 60cm where you are. (the 6Z run confirms this, but it's not finished generating the charts yet).

The back end of next week looks like you might get something, but it'll be warmer (above freezing) so that may be a rain / snow mix... probably trending towards snow as the temps drop again,

After that it looks colder and some snow chances.

Thanks buddy!

And yes - a very interesting place! We get all kinds of weather! This is on top of 30cm on Monday. Shovelling is a great workout!

Marty McFly

Seagulls Over Canada
Aug 19, 2006
La Pêche, Quebec
This is St John's, Newfoundland (Eastern Canada) right now. Taken from my kitchen window. I'm 6ft 1 and that snow drift is at least equally as tall as I am.

[Yt]w3aJBK0LePw [/YT]

Excuse the whiny dog in the background.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
This is St John's, Newfoundland (Eastern Canada) right now. Taken from my kitchen window. I'm 6ft 1 and that snow drift is at least equally as tall as I am.

[Yt]w3aJBK0LePw [/YT]

Excuse the whiny dog in the background.

So much for my interpretation of the GFS Data!

Enjoy! (?)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here