Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Starting Line-up at Watford?

scwiffy

Jun 24, 2011
Having just beaten a Champions League team, I would be surprised if anyone new walked into the side. Maupay hasn't played in pre-season either. Barring injuries we don't know about I would go with:

Ryan
Dunk - Duffy - Burn
Montoya - Stephens - Propper - March
Locadia - Trossard
Murray

Subs:
Button
Bernardo
Webster
Gross
Maupay
Mooy
Andone

Exactly.

But as a side note, is anyone else just LOVING the selection headaches Potter is facing? It feels like ages since we last had such depth in quality and competition for places. Great problems to have, lots of flexibility in the squad now too, one of the many reasons I'm optimistic for this season.

OvingdeanSeagull

Jul 8, 2012
Ovingdean
Ryan
Montoya Duffy Dunk Bernardo
March Stephens Propper Trossard
Gross
Murray​

I know it will upset people, but I think we'll set up to be very solid and getting back behind Watford tomorrow. I don't think Potter-ball will materialise just yet. Experiments during pre-season yes, but this is points on the line. I think we might be more adventurous, but expecting a lot of defending and a lot of time without the ball.

Jesus Christ. I bloody hope not.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Cant see the most recent signings starting as much of it is about familiarity. I also think he will look to be a bit more defensive as its his first fixture and away from home[/QU

Oh yes in effect I expect 5 at the back for the most part but hopefully we can put something together as a team to hit them effectively on the counter. Surely the way for most of the bottom half to play away from home.

I expect more enterprise in the home games which will be crucial.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Plenty of pundits will look at our formation and assume it's 5-2-3 when in reality it'll be 3-4-3.

It is crucial the wing-backs get forward and attack. I think March is a natural for left wing-back, but Montoya is key. Now Bruno has retired the way forward for him is clear and with 3 centre backs behind him he can express himself. This is the guy with 24 starts in 2017/18 for a Valencia side that finished 4th and qualified for the Champions League.

SockMonster

Oct 12, 2007
Brighton
Having just beaten a Champions League team, I would be surprised if anyone new walked into the side. Maupay hasn't played in pre-season either. Barring injuries we don't know about I would go with:

Ryan
Dunk - Duffy - Burn
Montoya - Stephens - Propper - March
Locadia - Trossard
Murray

Subs:
Button
Bernardo
Webster
Gross
Maupay
Mooy
Andone

This. Only questions are whether Webster comes in for Burn and whether Maupay starts. As far as i could see from Valencia game we line up 3-4-3 withe ball and 5-4-1 without it and when pressed back. GP could surprise us of course and still play 4 at back.....
I also think AJ may get in ahead of Andone on bench.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Ryan
Montoya Duffy Dunk Bernardo
March Stephens Propper Trossard
Gross
Murray​

I know it will upset people, but I think we'll set up to be very solid and getting back behind Watford tomorrow. I don't think Potter-ball will materialise just yet. Experiments during pre-season yes, but this is points on the line. I think we might be more adventurous, but expecting a lot of defending and a lot of time without the ball.

Where's the thumbs down? :lolol:

There would be literally NO point appointing Potter if that's what we're going to do. Might as well have kept CH.

Now, I don't think we'll be playing four up front or cavalry charging them but hopefully the days of this are well and truly over.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
I just hope we give Watford something to think about. Lets throw some pace & movement at them and have Andone, Maupay & Trossard all in the attack.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Where's the thumbs down? :lolol:

There would be literally NO point appointing Potter if that's what we're going to do. Might as well have kept CH.

Now, I don't think we'll be playing four up front or cavalry charging them but hopefully the days of this are well and truly over.

They're just names on a page aligned in a 4-4-1-1. Doesn't mean it's the same 4-4-1-1 as the previous manager does it? Or are we just distilling tactics down to formations?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
They're just names on a page aligned in a 4-4-1-1. Doesn't mean it's the same 4-4-1-1 as the previous manager does it? Or are we just distilling tactics down to formations?

Give it up Bold, he's gone and not coming back!!!

Front 3 of:-

Trossard Maupay Big Jurg.

The rest can fight it out among themselves.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

If Gross and Murray are announced as both starting I'm going to go back to my car and drive home from Watford without watching.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
If Gross and Murray are announced as both starting I'm going to go back to my car and drive home from Watford without watching.

If Murray is, can you give [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] a lift too? :lolol:

best sit him in the back with the child locks on...

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
I don't think we'd have gone 3 at the back vs Valencia if we weren't intending on starting like that in the league. (Unless we'd got hammered of course)
This is what I'm expecting...

----------------------------- Ryan ----------------------------
------------Duffy---------- Dunk -----------Burn-----------
----Montoya----Stephens ---- Propper ----March----
--------Locadia--------- Murray ---------Trossard-------

Button, Webster, Bernardo, Gross, AJ, Andone, Maupay. (What a bench!)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
----------------------------- Ryan ----------------------------
------------Duffy---------- Dunk -----------Burn-----------
----Montoya----Bissouma—-Groß ---- Propper ----March----
--------Locadia--------- Murray ---------Trossard-------

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

It's more the 4-4-1-1 with Gross in the hole and the expectation of pragmatically picking up points with little possession and a solid performance rang a bell for me somehow!

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It's more the 4-4-1-1 with Gross in the hole and the expectation of pragmatically picking up points with little possession and a solid performance rang a bell for me somehow!

Well, there was a bit of mischief. I think Potter has gone at pre-season experimenting with things the players haven't done. He knows they can play 4 at the back, knows they can defend well, switch from 4-4-1-1, 4-3-3 etc. so he has spent pre-season looking at how they adapt to a back 3 etc. However, I don't necessarily think that is how he'll start tomorrow. I could be wide of the mark, and it will certainly be bold if he does.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here