Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Is Australia a continent?

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
That was my point. People move, therefore they can't be used to define what is and what is not a continent.

the Australian Indigenous tribes didn't travel much , there is no way you could compare them to white European or Arabs , they are reasonably primitive and never reached huge numbers , were perfectly happy living of the land and never really had the urge/need to travel..........they did have contact with Indonesian tribes but were extremely superstitious and not many travelled north. They are similar to the Kalahari / Cape bushman in culture .........2 tragic tales of humanity.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
But Africa is one continent even though the Arabs in the north are very different to many other African nations' peoples. So I'm not sure that works.

Which you could argue makes Australia the one true stand alone continent because all other continents are joined to another continent.

Africa is joined to the same land mass as Asia and Europe making movement of people far easier.

You could walk from South Africa to China

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
the Australian Indigenous tribes didn't travel much , there is no way you could compare them to white European or Arabs , they are reasonably primitive and never reached huge numbers , were perfectly happy living of the land and never really had the urge/need to travel..........they did have contact with Indonesian tribes but were extremely superstitious and not many travelled north. They are similar to the Kalahari / Cape bushman in culture .........2 tragic tales of humanity.

Yes, but again, that's my point. You cannot decide on what makes a continent with a factor that only applies to one continent. If it's a determining factor, it should apply to most, if not all, continents.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Which you could argue makes Australia the one true stand alone continent because all other continents are joined to another continent.

Africa is joined to the same land mass as Asia and Europe making movement of people far easier.

You could walk from South Africa to China

It certainly makes Australia unique, but that's a different topic. See above.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia

Not having the Afro textured hair would suggest something interesting was involved in the indigenous Australians genetic past.

While dark skinned they don't look African.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
yes i agree "a continent" is a physical /geographical feature which has nothing to do with it's human population....Australia is widely thought of as a continent although i believe Australasia is the correct term.......oceania is a more recent entity created by fifa to squeeze the likes of the Solomon Islands and Fiji into the world cup qualifying rounds.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Who knows........who cares.
Whatever it is.It’s a long way for kangaroos to hop and swim to Noah`s Ark, then hop and swim all the way back again.
Must have been exhausting.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
another subject again old boy...!!

Is Noah’s Ark how the Duckbilled Platypus came about? You know, lots of sexy animals, confined space, only one of your own species to play about with. Come on, you know. A duck here, a beaver there, bit of rat or something. BANG. You’ve got a multi-di.cked, venomous-spurred freak. Love it.

John Byrnes Mullet

Global Circumnavigator
Oct 4, 2004
Brighton
Enjoyed skiing at Falls Creek, Victoria and then spent the next week basking on the beaches in Queensland. Must be a continent with such diverse climate.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Australia:

-This article is about the continent. For the country, see Australia. For other uses, see Australia (disambiguation).
Not to be confused with Australasia.-

The continent of Australia, sometimes known in technical contexts by the names Sahul /səˈhuːl/, Australinea or Meganesia to distinguish it from the country of Australia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia_(continent)

Australasia:

Australasia comprises Australia, New Zealand, and some neighbouring islands (see the section Derivations). It is used in a number of different contexts including geopolitically, physiogeographically, and ecologically where the term covers several slightly different but related regions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australasia

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I was always taught there were five continents, as with the 5 Olympic rings, of America, Australasia, Asia, Africa and Europe when I was at school. Seems to have changed since, so they have split the American continent and added the two poles. What do I know?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
If Australia is a continent, what continent is New Zealand in?

It's moved to Europe, as it sees the enormous advantages of being able to join the European Union! :)

And before anybody complains that this should be on the BREXIT thread(s), it is intended as no more than a JOKE.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here