Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Zaha reveals (claims) he receives racist abuse "nearly every game"

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkshire seagull

May 18, 2004
Leeds
Depends what he means surely. If he means "after every game, some dickhead sends me racist abuse on twitter", then I can well believe it. If he means actually at games, then I think he may be mishearing a chorus of boos as something more sinister.

However, there's a few people on this thread trying to claim that Brighton doesn't have a race issue. That's rubbish - i've heard racist abuse from Brighton fans directed at players a few times this season (away at Spurs, home to Man City, away at Fulham were just a few examples). However, this isn't unique - i've heard it directed at our players and fans too.

Like it or not, the current political situation in the UK has meant that people with reprehensible views now feel that they can voice them without consequence, under the banner of 'free speech'.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Fair question to ask by the OP given the case of actor Jussie Smollett making accusations along racial lines that turned out to be false is still ongoing.

A lot to lose for people who make claims that turn out to be false. Much to gain if proven true.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I have been to countless Albion games, home and away. I've been amongst people that I know or I've seen regularly at games. I've been amongst people that I've never seen before. I don't know how many times Zaha has played against The Albion even though I have seen them all. I have heard Zaha get shed loads of abuse in every game against us because he's our Pantomime Villain but I have never heard any racist abuse towards him.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
My personal footnote to the above that I forgot to add to my comments is that I haven't heard any racist comments coming from Albion fans in decades.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
That's your opinion.

He's painting a picture of Premier League football that seems unrepresentative of what I see and hear - and that has knock-on effects.

But maybe I'm wrong. Hence, asking questions.

I'm sure the FA will get to the bottom of it

You Homophobic abuser!!

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Depends what he means surely. If he means "after every game, some dickhead sends me racist abuse on twitter", then I can well believe it. If he means actually at games, then I think he may be mishearing a chorus of boos as something more sinister.

However, there's a few people on this thread trying to claim that Brighton doesn't have a race issue. That's rubbish - i've heard racist abuse from Brighton fans directed at players a few times this season (away at Spurs, home to Man City, away at Fulham were just a few examples). However, this isn't unique - i've heard it directed at our players and fans too.

Like it or not, the current political situation in the UK has meant that people with reprehensible views now feel that they can voice them without consequence, under the banner of 'free speech'.

I was at the Spurs game (not City so cant comment) and heard good humoured banter. I didn’t hear ANY racist abuse. If I had I would have called it out for the utter shit it is.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
'.

I was at those games and didn’t hear anything. In recent times the only racist abuse I’ve heard was directed at Bong.

Aren’t you supposed to report this type of abuse?

As for Zaha I think [MENTION=459]Bwian[/MENTION] sums it up well in his post.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
He gets abused because he's a cheating diving little ****. He then embellishes it to claim it is racially motivated because that will create a headline. IF it was happening "every week" as he claims it would have been jumped on by now and the perpetrators would have been banned. Haha is a stranger to the truth and the sooner he is out of the English game the better.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Let's be honest, he will have definitely heard some racist abuse during his career, but I think he is exaggerating for effect. I have seen him play against us at least four times and yes I've heard him being abused for falling over, but I can honestly say I have never heard him being abused about his skin colour by a Brighton fan, home or away. In fact it is probably 25 years since I heard an Albion fan abuse a player because he was black and even back then he was told to shut the f*** up.

Think last time I recall hearing racist abuse at an Albion match was when Wright played for CPFC, circa 30 years ago

Seagull122

Mar 16, 2019
I was at those games and didn’t hear anything. In recent times the only racist abuse I’ve heard was directed at Bong.

Aren’t you supposed to report this type of abuse?

As for Zaha I think [MENTION=459]Bwian[/MENTION] sums it up well in his post.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just because you didn’t hear anything doesn’t mean it didn’t happen, you can only hear about 50 people on a stadium which holds around 30,000 people. I’m not saying anything racist was said at those games, I just think the ‘i didn’t hear anything so it didn’t happen’ argument is ridiculous.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Remember earlier in the season when Zaha claimed he had been racially abused by our fans online before we played them? Remember how there wasn’t a single screenshot taken by him or anybody else to support that claim? Remember how quickly screenshots appeared all over here and Twitter when Palace fans mocked Knockaerts dad dying?

Funny, that.

He’s an odious little prick. I’ll be generous and say he probably goes out of his way to find a handful of horrible comments online which he can twist in to racist abuse every game. But I’m only saying that because I’d get in trouble if I said he’s entirely making it up.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Just because you didn’t hear anything doesn’t mean it didn’t happen, you can only hear about 50 people on a stadium which holds around 30,000 people. I’m not saying anything racist was said at those games, I just think the ‘i didn’t hear anything so it didn’t happen’ argument is ridiculous.

FFS!

Did I say that?

Why not report it?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Whether or not that is the case I'm a little surprised that a thread would have been started intending to counter it and fuel another Zaha binfest.

Racism is an issue in sport and shouldn't be a platform used as a banter football to start to having a go at an opposition player who's experience we know little of.

Grow up.

If this was another player I doubt we would see this thread.

It is not about growing up, it is about telling the truth. I don’t believe him. I do not think racism has completely gone away, I just think that is far less of a problem than it was. Zaha is an attention seeking muppet.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Yet Zaha did hear it.

No supports.
No stewards.

Just Zaha stood x feet away from any supporters, on the pitch

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
He’s talking shite and doing a disservice to those properly being discriminated against due to the colour of their skin.

Exactly the same as a women falsely crying rape. The damage done is unmeasurable

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
That's your opinion.

He's painting a picture of Premier League football that seems unrepresentative of what I see and hear - and that has knock-on effects.

But maybe I'm wrong. Hence, asking questions.

I'm sure the FA will get to the bottom of it.

This. Zaha is obviously making this up. I have heard a couple of black players interviewed over the last few years you claim to have never heard racist abuse in their life (one extreme end of the experience spectrum, certainly), so for him to claim he gets it every game is patently ludicrous and absurd. Given the other factors Wozza has noted, it is quite right to highlight this latest bit of cockwomblery from the world's most entitled player.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here