Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Do you expect our new signings to kick on next season?

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
I guess if USG win the Belgium play offs for the Uefa cup place then we're more likely to see Tau!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Not allowed in it if they do qualify as ground not up to it.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Not allowed in it if they do qualify as ground not up to it.
I *think* they got the licence they needed yesterday, and have an agreement to play at another ground if they qualify.

However, they are a long way from qualifying just yet, and have to play Antwerp in a playoff even if they get through the preceding qualifying stages.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Davy completely controlled all the games through February.
We repeatedly watched a masterclass in midfield play, sadly that was only because he knew Ajax were watching him.

Now they've gone he had his hair cut and seems to have withdrawn into his shell, a little.

Agree, Propper has been our best player for most of the season. Dip in form recently, but a superb footballer.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Yep, saw the same stat. Certainly in home games, where I sit kind of level with where decent crosses should be being met, there is often a bloody big gaping hole as Muzza is either too slow to get there, or out of position on the wing, and (and this is the biggest issue for me) NONE of our midfielders EVER seem to make bursts into forward positions to support the front three - they don't get on to the crosses, they're not there to take a lay-off after Muzza has held it up and they're rarely there to pick up scraps coming out of the box.

Which would suggest our negative tactics. I'm not sure how we can talk about the new signings without a new game plan to allow them to shine.

That midfield would not give us a CM ball player with pace, able to control games and instinctively create chances. It would be more of the same.

Even Stains have Ward-Prowse and Armstrong, Burnley have McNeil and Westwood, for example. Allrounders able to drive forward, create, or run rings around those trying to dispossess them of the ball.

I’m impressed with Bissouma, but at this stage he’s a wildcard, a maverick, who can still fit in next to a new creative ACM.

You mean players from two teams who have struggled this season ?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
You'd go into next season with Andone, Locadia and Murray as our strike force?

Yes. Andone looks good, and Locadia obviously has the odd goal in him - both will improve if backed by the right sort of midfield. Murray as back-up - plus youngsters coming through. We're never going to be able to buy a Kane or a Rashford or a Lukaku anyway.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Stupid question perhaps, but what exactly is it that Propper does best? I don't think we've seen it, have we?

I think we need more energy and pace everywhere, especially in midfield. Good though Dunk and Duffy are in so many ways, our back four are too slow to defend high up, so our midfield and forwards are always too far from goal. Even our wide players (Izquierdo apart) are hardly going to worry fullbacks with pace. When players such as Andone do get forward, they look for support and the midfield is still plodding forward at a snail's pace. Gross can make up for lack of pace with speed of thought, but he's an exception.

I do agree about your comment about our lack of pace throughout. Propper isn't exactly over-blessed with it either, and the less said about Gross on that matter, the better.
But, as to your question, in a word, invention. He moves the ball quickly, he can carry it if required, he manipulates the ball so it can open up new passing channels, has great vision (although not up to Gross' levels), he can eliminate and go past a defender with a feint, dummy, change of direction, or similar piece of skill, his passing in the final third is usually well executed between accuracy and ambition. While not a hard tackler, he usually provides a good shield, and is also adept at nicking the ball off opponents.

I've followed your analyses of him defending corners over time, which I've found informative, although there haven't been too many of these of late (opposition not targeting him? he's improved? something else?). He could do with more goals and assists, I'll certainly grant you, but then so could all our midfielders.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I’ve come round to liking him alot, again, he’s playing well.

We can’t afford to improve every position all at once, besides we’re pretty good at defending. Priority is get to make us better in attack.

His form of late has certainly improved. My problem is that he is too slow and takes too many touches (I recognise he has numerous positive qualities), but you might be right on a replacement/improvement not being the highest priority.

Weststander

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
You mean players from two teams who have struggled this season ?

As many have said on NSC before, even relegated teams often contain quality players. In a team/squad game, they can’t prevent a relegation. Robertson, Wijnaldum and Sissoko were all part of relegated clubs.

Ward-Prowse and Westwood are very effective PL CM’ers, despite being in weak teams. McNeil and Armstrong are quality, so young, they’re both going to have great careers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here