Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] On This Day 1977: The Flumps made their television debut. Your kids TV - Go...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Rainbow - every word
Mooncat - nope
Pigeon Street - nah
Rentaghost - If your mansion house needs haunting
Grange Hill - Badda ba bow - sausage.
Jossy's Giants - a bit.
Button Moon - We're off to Button Moon
You and Me - You and me lots and lots of things to see

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
jxEa00D.gif

My daughter's favourite as she got older and grew out of Bagpuss, although she still retained a soft spot in her heart for the saggy old cloth cat.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I don't suppose any of you have seen "The Big Knights" have you?

It was never released on British TV, but is one of the funniest cartoons I've ever watched. Some of the voices actors include....Brian Blessed, David Rintoul, Alexander Armstrong, Timothy West, Prunella Scales, Morwenna Banks, Brian Sewell, Summer Strallen, Scarlett Strallen, Gordon Kennedy and Kate Robbins.

I think most (all) the episodes are on Youtube if you wanted a look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e045AAIn434

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I think in the Seventies the BBC had the best preschool shows - Flumps; Trumpton etc; Bagpuss; Ivor; Mr Men; Bod - but ITV had the best shows for older kids:

Soldier & Me
The Doombolt Chase
A Bunch of Fives (way better than Grange Hill)
The Siege of Golden Hill
The Paper Lads
Children of the Stones
Sky
The Tomorrow People
Pauline's Quirke's
The Freewheelers
Robert's Robots
Pardon My Genie

and Magpie was better than Blue Peter (although I watched both)

https://youtu.be/XMl6HnhFFIA

These were my favourite back in the day, especially when staying with my cousins in Brixton.
Sat tv a must back then :)

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire
[SUB][/SUB]

At some shitty pub quiz in a shitty pub in shitty Bognor compered by a shitty barman, they insisted that this character was called Fingerbob.

View attachment 120162

I complained till I was blue in the face that the show was Fingerbobs but the character was Fingermouse. Oh no, he insisted, with a smarmy, punch-magnet smile, that’s Fingerbob.

Twenty years ago. Still fuming.... :D

I used to think that the guy with the beard had arms that extended at will because he wasn't shown and yet the animals he controlled could travel great distances!

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Bertha
The Real Ghostbusters
Teenage Mutant HERO Turtles
Mask
Transformers
He Man
Fun House

My favourite though...

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
It certainly was... but I’m not sure it was really a kids show once Chris Tarrant started presenting it

He was there from the start in 1974 although in the London Weekend catchment area we only got the last three series and for the very last only Sally James remained of the best-remembered line-up. The rest decamped to O.T.T: the late-night version of Tiswas.

I believe you all here in Southern TV territory continued with The Saturday Banana for an extra year and only got the last two series of Tiswas, so only one series of Tarrant, Carolgees, Gorman etc. I actually preferred The Saturday Banana with an oddly bad-tempered Bill Oddie in charge and Metal Mickey as co-host.

Amazing how regional ITV was pre-1982, often showing different programmes even in peak-time.

I remember Lenny Henry saying that he found O.T.T more relaxing than Tiswas, because on Tiswas there was always the risk of saying something too rude and getting into trouble, whereas on O.T.T it would've been ok. Ironically, his turns on O.T.T were mostly kiddie-friendly anyway, with his characters Algernon, David Bellamy, the "Katanga" guy, and Trevor McDonut doing very similar material.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The Red Hand Gang
Grange Hill

As a kid I used to also love Laurel & Hardy & Harold Lloyd.

Likewise. I think they used to be on BBC2 in some late afternoon/early evening slot, perfect timing to take in with my dinner on my lap.

Then there was MONKEY, which I seem to remember was always on Friday at about 6pm, giving the added boost that it was the start of the weekend.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
Likewise. I think they used to be on BBC2 in some late afternoon/early evening slot, perfect timing to take in with my dinner on my lap.

Then there was MONKEY, which I seem to remember was always on Friday at about 6pm, giving the added boost that it was the start of the weekend.

Spot on! Yes, it was about 6pm I think for the blank & white shows. I remember they did Will Hay films too - and like you, it was tea time viewing.

And I was just thinking about Monkey too - probably utter crap if I watched it now, but it was amazing at the time.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Bertha
The Real Ghostbusters
Teenage Mutant HERO Turtles
Mask
Transformers
He Man
Fun House

My favourite though...

I have posted this several times on here but if you like Knightmare then you should find this funny

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here