Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Graham Potter joins on four-year deal

SeagullCrow

May 9, 2008
SSN reporting that Potter is undecided on the move As he just moved his fam to Swansea.

If Bloom screws this up it will be a massive error.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Given the very large gamble that Bloom is taking here, one would think that he intends to invest significantly in the recruitment of new players. We all knew that this summer was going to be an incredibly important transfer window, even prior to Chris leaving. Bloom has even more riding on it now, and I see this as a period of revolution rather than evolution. That must be quite attractive to any young manager looking to put his own stamp on a Premier League side.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I was saying yesterday, there is seemingly no plan b... great. For me you never sack anyone based on the assumption your primary target will simply say show me the money...

I have a bad feeling about this whole episode.

This idea too, that it’s simply a question of money is bollocks, if he’s a family man - and his kids matter to him and they’re happy... he won’t come, no chance... he’ll be well paid as it is. This and if he feels unready as it were, well smart move by him... gone up a notch in my book.

It’s going to be a classic Albion shambles... probably end up reappointing CH.

Someone's pissed on your cornflakes this morning haven't they mate. Never seen such unjustified negativity!

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I was saying yesterday, there is seemingly no plan b... great. For me you never sack anyone based on the assumption your primary target will simply say show me the money...

I don't, sacking Hughton for footballing reasons was the right call. We're going to be a pretty attractive option to a good many up and coming managers. Chill out...... This is the chance for Potter to manage in the PL, I'd be pretty hopeful Potter wants it, it's just the Mrs needs pursuading and for that Bloom needs to get her down here and give her the red carpet treatment, places at the school of choice and a long contract.

If Bloom really wants him, I'd be surprised if he didn't get him. It's Potters Agents job to get the best deal so of course he will play a little hard to get.

And there will be a plan B, but what should Bloom say "I want potter but if he says No you're next"

He will say, he interviewed a selection of candidates and X was the outstanding. They'll be others for sure

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Again with the negativity, how do you know there is no plan B? Ridiculous statement.

So plan a declines, plan b likewise... potentially. It’s a mess, the trouble is I don’t think we’re a massively attractive prospect, not without holding onto our actual legit stars and investing heavily. You have to remember how well CH was respected in the LMA etc... kind of, shit... if he can’t make it work... could I?

That and Bloom sacking CH when and how he did, is hardly a ringing endorsement for the incoming manager is it?

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit

This idea too, that it’s simply a question of money is bollocks, if he’s a family man - and his kids matter to him and they’re happy... he won’t come, no chance... he’ll be well paid as it is. This and if he feels unready as it were, well smart move by him... gone up a notch in my book.

More chance appointing bensgrandad that TB going back on a decision

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Given the very large gamble that Bloom is taking here, one would think that he intends to invest significantly in the recruitment of new players. We all knew that this summer was going to be an incredibly important transfer window, even prior to Chris leaving. Bloom has even more riding on it now, and I see this as a period of revolution rather than evolution. That must be quite attractive to any young manager looking to put his own stamp on a Premier League side.

The noises about him not wanting to relocate again may throw a big spanner in the works. I will be shocked if this was not known by the board before they made this move though. I’m going to dismiss this as bullshit until it happens.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here

He is a family man and according to a Swansea blog I listened to today about the situation he thought long and hard before uprooting his family from Sweden, where his son was very happy and was very unhappy to leave. This is by no means a done deal but shirley we must have enough plus's on our side to make it work (training centre, ground, premier league status, budget for players, existing player strengths, sussex by the sea, salary (probably doubled?), length of contract, quality of local schools etc etc etc)???

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
It's gonna look awful embrassing. I assumed they'd have sounded him out prior to sacking Chris.

Embarrassing, why? They might interview him and decide they don't want him anyway.

I very much doubt they thought 'it's Hughton or Potter'. TB et al decided that CH wasn't the man for the job but letting him go wouldn't have been contingent on them getting Potter. They will have a decent list of names (of which it appears Potter heads) I'm sure

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
By sacking houghton, It’s pretty clear our owner doesn’t want another season of scraping through.
I’m sure he realises that means forking Out.
Exciting times are on the way with or without potter.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Someone's pissed on your cornflakes this morning haven't they mate. Never seen such unjustified negativity!

I remember me and you arguing about the merits of Suttner as a signing, I said he’d be average at best... you said otherwise... now I’m mostly wrong, but trust me when I say this Potter is about as inspiring as an ageing Austrian fullback...

I fail to see why anybody would choose this bloke over CH... I’m at a loss.

That however is my last word on the subject, as I also fail to see the point of thrashing out several sets of opinion tennis.

I wish the club well.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
That's yesterday's news, which you'll see if you scroll up a few pages.

It's just about money and us meeting their valuation.

Sky reporting there is a release clause in his contract and it's more about whether he wants to come or not.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
By sacking houghton, It’s pretty clear our owner doesn’t want another season of scraping through.
I’m sure he realises that means forking Out.
Exciting times are on the way with or without potter.

Not having a dig but will we be be saying the same if the wally with the Brolley or Mark "You will be my 50th club" Hughs? ??? Is appointed?

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Not having a dig but will we be be saying the same if the wally with the Brolley or Mark "You will be my 50th club" Hughs? ???

I think the excitement will come with the money and signings.
It’s not dependent on potter.
But yes, hopefully we will get better than Steve and Hughesy

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I remember me and you arguing about the merits of Suttner as a signing, I said he’d be average at best... you said otherwise... now I’m mostly wrong, but trust me when I say this Potter is about as inspiring as an ageing Austrian fullback...

I fail to see why anybody would choose this bloke over CH... I’m at a loss.

That however is my last word on the subject, as I also fail to see the point of thrashing out several sets of opinion tennis.

I wish the club well.

I don't recall that at all unless it was just to say "give him a chance before writing him off" as I would about any player. You may be right though, my memory's not what it was although I was certainly never a big fan.

Just don't understand (not just you) all these posts bemoaning A: a manager who we haven't even got yet and who certainly hasn't been given a chance and then B: how the club is going to look amateurish / a shambles etc for not getting him, when nothing's actually happened yet.

It's nonsense, even by NSC standards.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
It's a big decision given how recently he moved countries. The countryside around Swansea is gorgeous. He's obviously already idolised there.
If he genuinely feels he can get Swansea up next season he might not want to take this risk.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
So plan a declines, plan b likewise... potentially. It’s a mess, the trouble is I don’t think we’re a massively attractive prospect, not without holding onto our actual legit stars and investing heavily. You have to remember how well CH was respected in the LMA etc... kind of, shit... if he can’t make it work... could I?

That and Bloom sacking CH when and how he did, is hardly a ringing endorsement for the incoming manager is it?

To be honest I doubt Potter will decline the offer, if one is made.

And if he does there will be a dossier as thick as your nut on possible alternatives. To manage in the Premier League is the ambition of any football coach in the world, so we won't be short of amazing candidates.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here