Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Graham Potter joins on four-year deal

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
An interesting balanced view on potter .... Some negatives thrown in. Loves a tinker so obviously very different to Hughton

Let’s be honest, GP has done an outstanding job, with what he was left with. Especially his integration of the youngsters, from U23, into Championship football*
*Achieving a 10th spot, and just missing the play offs, with one recognised striker, and a dodgy keeper, was nothing short of a miracle.*
Having said that, I haven’t been that impressed with that many Championship sides I’ve seen close up, at Liberty stadium.*
Looking at the walesonline site, they are saying it would cost £2m to pay off GP’s 2 yr contract, if a club comes in for him.
So i assume he’s is on a Million a year.*
Not a bad wage.*
If you wanted to be slightly sceptical about things, perhaps a lot of the credit for the emergence of the youngsters, maybe has go to Toshack and Richards, and believe it or not, Mr Huw Jenkins, who saw the potential in Toshack, as a coach in the first place.*

Good article here ~~>
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/double-act-heart-swansea-citys-15503216
So do we go down the old .....”In Graham we trust” routine, and believe he is the latest Messiah, who does no wrong?

Or do we have a look at some of the issues that perhaps, didn’t work out so well?

Zonal marking.*
I think we were the highest in the league, for conceding goals (17) from set pieces.*
Obviously having a team of vertically challenged, short arses, doesn’t help.*
But right at the end of the season, he went for man to man marking, and this seemed to suit the aforementioned short arses better, in blocking runs, which you would have thought would have been a prerequisite, in a zonal system, but they seemed better suited to this change.*

Picking the wrong team to start, then making 2 subs at half time.*

Picking Nortfeldt when Mulder was clearly the better keeper, earlier in the season.*

Then dropping Mulder when he was playing well, probably putting doubts in his mind.*

How many times have we only played well for one half. ?

Opposition managers change their tactics, especially away games (normally at half time,) they come out, and start to dominate, he doesn’t seem to counteract these changes, until it’s too late.*

Two of his signings, McKay and Asoro, haven’t exactly set the football world alight.*

McKay in particular, has played in 35 games, and has looked useless in most of them.
He must be fabulous in training, to secure that much game time.*

At least he has made it into the first team, for a good amount of games.*
Asoro has been here a full season, what sort of value is he bringing to our beleaguered first team squad?
Another one drawing wages, and not playing.*

GP and his scouts, will have to earn their wages big time, in the summer, *and bring in real value to strengthen the squad, after what I fear, will be a summer of discontent, with some of the jewels in the crown being flogged.*

My only hope is they are not sold on the cheap, and that he has a decent war chest to work with.*
If the Yanks do the opposite, then GP may we’ll think his job is untenable.*

End of season report :
A+*
Could do better. So much better with the right backing !!!!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I’ve been following Graham Potters progress since I first read about him last year.

Personally, I agree it’s risky, however I’m excited that BHA have found probably the most exciting “prospect” outside the big leagues and want to give him a crack at the PL. He promotes youth, plays attacking football and turns flabby teams into opponents to be feared.

Next Pochettino? Who knows...but it’s going to be an interesting season.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Swansea have played some filthy football this season under Potter football we could only dream of under Hughton. 10 passes and the balls in the net.

Heard he wants to bring Dan James with him to Albion good times ahead .

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
The way I see it with Potter, he is inexperienced at the highest level, so there's a risk.... But clearly his potential is there for all to see... We could wait for him to get experience elsewhere first, to prove himself, but then a bigger club than us would get him, we'd miss out. So there is also a risk in not signing him

So if Potter is actually a football genius, the only way we can get him is by taking a chance now. And if he isn't, we get rid. Have big sam keep us up, and go again next summer.

I guess I'm excited by bloom trying to get an unproven star.... It worked with poyet, not with hyypia, but we are trying again.... we've sacked the safe pair of hands, so not point just getting another one like that

I am sure he would produce more entertaining matches, results might be tougher to come by.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
I’m sorry but Potter is not an exciting prospect, steady at best a failure in waiting at worst. In other words, no where near as proven and/or likely to keep us up or indeed bring us back up as CH.

Pointless (potential) appointment in the progressive or exciting stakes.

I think he’s an exciting prospect, although having a massive meltdown because I haven’t heard of our new manager does sound fub

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
With all that negativity I can see why you are so into Hughton. Who needs goals anyway?

I’m not in camp Hughton, and i’ve said as much elsewhere... I just don’t see Potter as a successful alternative to CH, indeed I think they’re likely to generate similar returns with this squad, and that return is relegation.

Someone else might be able to galvanise the squad to mid table I guess, but I remain very meh with regard to the Potter hyperbole.

Time will tell.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
I guess we shouldn't forget the considerable influence of Ashworth. Presumably he'll handle a lot of things a more experienced manager might expect/demand to control.

I think we’re overlooking a lot of this and I propose perhaps this work went a long way to leaving Southgate free to simply coach the team in the England set up which is what attracted the Albion to DA and this way of working.

Perhaps other more established manager’s egos wouldn’t let them cede power to an administrator so easily and whilst I’m not saying this is what led to CH demise I do wonder behind the scenes whether the media output was somewhat removed from the truth.

CH might not have a public ego but he will have a preferred way of working and if our new model shifted too far away from this then that’s where the cracks might have emerged.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I think he’s an exciting prospect, although having a massive meltdown because I haven’t heard of our new manager does sound fub

But I have heard of him, don’t be so ridiculous.

He’s a virtual non league cup run manager with one season of championship mediocrity under his belt. I want to know where the evidence is that he’s likely to turn us into a more attacking prospect than CH... naive in the extreme to expect him to go gung-ho in the first few games next season... if he’s a decent assessor of our squad, we’ll probably end up looking very similar to this season... so why replace CH at all, a man almost guaranteed to have us in the top six of the championship following relegation.

Mark my words if we appoint Potter he will fail, much like Paul Clement at Swansea.

But as I say, time will tell.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
SSN reporting that Potter is undecided on the move As he just moved his fam to Swansea.

If Bloom screws this up it will be a massive error.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
The way I see it with Potter, he is inexperienced at the highest level, so there's a risk.... But clearly his potential is there for all to see... We could wait for him to get experience elsewhere first, to prove himself, but then a bigger club than us would get him, we'd miss out. So there is also a risk in not signing him

So if Potter is actually a football genius, the only way we can get him is by taking a chance now. And if he isn't, we get rid. Have big sam keep us up, and go again next summer.

I guess I'm excited by bloom trying to get an unproven star.... It worked with poyet, not with hyypia, but we are trying again.... we've sacked the safe pair of hands, so not point just getting another one like that

I agree, it's now or not at all, inspired or flop..... But it's at least adventurous. Potter is a different comparison to Hyypia, Potter, so far has done miracles in Sweden and well at Swansea, Hyypia had already flopped at Leverkusen when sole manager and has since proved he's a shit manager.

I like the sound of potter.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
SSN reporting that Potter is undecided on the move As he just moved his fam to Swansea.

He's looked at the house prices and wants more money (possibly)

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol

It's gonna look awful embrassing. I assumed they'd have sounded him out prior to sacking Chris.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
I think we’re overlooking a lot of this and I propose perhaps this work went a long way to leaving Southgate free to simply coach the team in the England set up which is what attracted the Albion to DA and this way of working.

Perhaps other more established manager’s egos wouldn’t let them cede power to an administrator so easily and whilst I’m not saying this is what led to CH demise I do wonder behind the scenes whether the media output was somewhat removed from the truth.

CH might not have a public ego but he will have a preferred way of working and if our new model shifted too far away from this then that’s where the cracks might have emerged.

Hughton is old school. I'm sure he would have hated having DA around.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

That's a show me the money pitch, get him and his Mrs down here, and offer him 4 years. He'll sign

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo

I was saying yesterday, there is seemingly no plan b... great. For me you never sack anyone based on the assumption your primary target will simply say show me the money...

I have a bad feeling about this whole episode.

This idea too, that it’s simply a question of money is bollocks, if he’s a family man - and his kids matter to him and they’re happy... he won’t come, no chance... he’ll be well paid as it is. This and if he feels unready as it were, well smart move by him... gone up a notch in my book.

It’s going to be a classic Albion shambles... probably end up reappointing CH.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I was saying yesterday, there is seemingly no plan b... great. For me you never sack anyone based on the assumption your primary target will simply say show me the money...

Trust me. Tony Bloom wouldn't have made the decision he did, when he did without being VERY confident they could get Potter and without Plan B / Plan C.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016

I have a bad feeling about this whole episode.

It’s going to be a classic Albion shambles... probably end up reappointing CH.

Again with the negativity, how do you know there is no plan B? Ridiculous statement.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I am sure there is a "Plan B" manager. Plan "C" might involve inviting applicants though, and Plan "D" may involve a phone call to Chris Hughton.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Trust me. Tony Bloom wouldn't have made the decision he did, when he did without being VERY confident they could get Potter and without Plan B / Plan C.

What if plan A doesn't look that exciting or an improvement on Hughton? What chance plan B or C will look a step forward?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
What if plan A doesn't look that exciting or an improvement on Hughton? What chance plan B or C will look a step forward?

Exciting to who?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here