Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Aston Villa

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I like Villa myself.

It wasn't long ago we had a cup tie against them and were singing their praises, our did I dream that?
You know how it goes though. Adkins meant we were anti Southampton a bit more than usual. Barton meant we were anti Burnley. The Pratchard afair meant we were anti Norwich for a while. There are loads of teams that most of us don't mind, but the odd game where we're robbed can change that for a while.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
You know how it goes though. Adkins meant we were anti Southampton a bit more than usual. Barton meant we were anti Burnley. The Pratchard afair meant we were anti Norwich for a while. There are loads of teams that most of us don't mind, but the odd game where we're robbed can change that for a while.
Not bothered about one game. More the fact that these self entitled pricks who support "big clubs" presume that they will storm the PL once they get there. Because they are "massive".

Villa were awful in the top division for years, then they went down. And the club was a state.

Football imbeciles like BG predicted they would be a massive hindrance to our chances of promotion. Anyone with a brain predicted that they'd have more chance of relegation to L1 than promotion. And so it was.

Now they've spawned their way to going up via the playoffs and spent a few quid on replacing their loan players, the usual morons started predicting top ten/Europe etc. And a lot of their fans have jumped on the bandwagon.

They're shit and they'll be lucky to stay up. I hope they go down.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

Yeah, I just haven't been that bothered by them recently (unless you go back to not paying up for Barry). The Villa fans i know are quite measured about their chances this season and I wish them luck (as long as they finish below us). Young English manager and some good young players.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Are villa going to suffer for being a 'big club'? Smaller teams tend to lift their games against the bigger sides, but ease off a bit against fellow smaller teams. Instead of Sheff Utd, Norwich, dare I say Us - and other teams that aren't considered established premier league teams despite being here for several seasons (Burnley, Bournemouth, Palace) easing up against a villa side that have just spent 4, 5? years in the championship trying to rebuild, these teams step up because they are facing aston villa - one of the premier league's founding members AND European cup winners AND 6th most decorated side in english football (apparently), so even games against #teamslikebrighton will be tough for them.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Are villa going to suffer for being a 'big club'? Smaller teams tend to lift their games against the bigger sides, but ease off a bit against fellow smaller teams. Instead of Sheff Utd, Norwich, dare I say Us - and other teams that aren't considered established premier league teams despite being here for several seasons (Burnley, Bournemouth, Palace) easing up against a villa side that have just spent 4, 5? years in the championship trying to rebuild, these teams step up because they are facing aston villa - one of the premier league's founding members AND European cup winners AND 6th most decorated side in english football (apparently), so even games against #teamslikebrighton will be tough for them.

All that helps. But the main thing is that they're shit.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
FFP cheats Villa at it again, spending on yet more players (wages and fees).

Three players acquired in the last week, including a £10m striker joining.

Their £146m spend last summer was more than our first 4 PL transfer windows combined, and they already had a huge payroll in the Championship:

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

Their £146m spend last summer was more than our first 4 PL transfer windows combined, and they already had a huge payroll in the Championship:

Yes but look on the flip side... all that money spent, and they’re still pony.

You have to spend it well. They’re spending like a 10 year old playing FIFA.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
My Villa supporting relative said the fans are turning on their manager. He said the job is too big for him and a result for us on Saturday and he might be sacked, he wants him gone and Pochettino replacing him. He also said the rumours are they will add another 3 to the 2 they’ve already bought this window (oh and they’re going to hammer us in Saturday, with the best player in the league too good for us).

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset

Mid table League One in two seasons' time - head to head with Sunderland

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I didn’t even know they’d signed anyone! Hopefully they won’t be straight in v us although Drinkwater was thrown in. Ah he’s one then - who’s the other?

I think we will turn them over, just gotta keep Grealish the **** quiet and stop him refereeing the game as he always tries to do...

Did they actually break FFP [MENTION=21158]Weststander[/MENTION] ?

Ah Reina - 37 years old.... not too bothered by either of those signings...

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I didn’t even know they’d signed anyone! Hopefully they won’t be straight in v us although Drinkwater was thrown in. Ah he’s one then - who’s the other?

I think we will turn them over, just gotta keep Grealish the **** quiet and stop him refereeing the game as he always tries to do...

Did they actually break FFP [MENTION=21158]Weststander[/MENTION] ?

Ah Reina - 37 years old.... not too bothered by either of those signings...

Villa ‘sold’ the stadium at alleged over value to a connected party, to cover huge above FFP losses. The EFL cannot currently investigate them whilst they’re in the EPL.

Pierre the Painter

May 20, 2020
Dean Smith rumoured to already be under pressure after a poor start to the season, rumours are he has 4 games to save his job, Villa fans not happy at the moment and expect the club to have been pushing for the top 6 this season.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Dean Smith rumoured to already be under pressure after a poor start to the season, rumours are he has 4 games to save his job, Villa fans not happy at the moment and expect the club to have been pushing for the top 6 this season.

Bizarre, but a sign of the times!

Funnily enough I watched their game at the weekend against Chelsea, and was interested to see how much their game had reverted to the style of their first season back in the Premier League....namely, just get it into the box! Their primary tactic seemed to be to draw a free kick about 10 yards outside the area, mainly on the left, and get someone to pump it in. Obviously without Grealish their creativity has been massively impacted, but surely they must have other options?

SAC

May 21, 2014

Funnily enough I watched their game at the weekend against Chelsea, and was interested to see how much their game had reverted to the style of their first season back in the Premier League....namely, just get it into the box! Their primary tactic seemed to be to draw a free kick about 10 yards outside the area, mainly on the left, and get someone to pump it in. Obviously without Grealish their creativity has been massively impacted, but surely they must have other options?

I only saw the highlights on MOTD but I thought they looked pretty good. The scoreline certainly flattered Chelsea.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021

Yeh, this whole industrial scale diving thing is holding Villa back. They've lost their plummetter in chief, they will find the free kicks harder to come by. The could just decide to ... you know ..... play football.

What I saw from them at the amex last season, will only get them so far. Maybe they are best off looking elsewhere for a manager.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

That was also their only tactic when they had Grealish. The difference being he was better at drawing those fouls and also delivering the ball into the box. Villa’s use of him was criminal considering his talent.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here