Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Right then. After that demonstration... VAR? Yes or No?

VAR

• Total voters

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
What is people’s problem? We were offside so VAR did it’s job?

If it’s the fact it is taking the decision away from the linesman and letting the game run - and then going back to review then I agree it’s shit

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
I was not too far away from being in line with Burn, and thought he was offside at the time. I celebrated the second/real/given one, because there didn't appear to be anything wrong with it.

Problem is though that even if the goal looks ok to us, there is always the possibility that it could be ruled out for an infringement missed in it's build up, even further back down the pitch.

How far back do the VAR officials go back to check such things? About a minute before West Ham scored there was a clear foul on Stephens in the middle of the pitch which everyone near me shouted for a 'foul', then within a minute they scored. Should the ref go back that far? I know I'm being pedantic but if a team has the ball for say an entire minute and then score, could the VAR officials go back that whole minute in case there was foul against the opposition 40 odd seconds before?

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Thanks, didn't know that.

Think it would be helpful to have the info put up on screen for any check, remove the ambiguity.

Absolutely. That didn’t work too well. I’m about 65-35 in favour of VAR right now. The Burn business was annoying (but correct). My understanding is that in the PL the Lino should have flagged straight away if they thought it was offside - but either he missed it or felt it was so marginal, he didn’t. On another day, if Burn was JUST onside, I suppose we’d have been delighted the officials were able to let the game flow rather than flag incorrectly.

I also quite liked not having to spend a lot of the second half wondering whether their goal was actually offside and feeling bitter and twisted about it.

Plus, hopefully, this will give us a much fairer match at grounds like Old Trafford and the Etihad.

Last edited:

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Yes. Improves the game. Technology is there, why not use it like other sports? Adds drama too.

Please could you explain how it improves the game?

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I'm just imagining Sussex Nomad settling down to watch MOTD.

The Albion game has a female commentator, Alex Scott is a pundit, her and pro EU Lineker discuss how well VAR worked.....

Two days later, the body is found. Exploded, purple bits of face have splattered the flock wallpaper. In one clenched fist, a copy of the Daily Mail, in the other a half drunk can of Special Brew.

A sad end.

Chill out man! [emoji23]

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
The game as we know it is over. The disallowed goal, did West Ham appeal, did anyone appeal? If it was offside the the lino should have flagged, that's why he's there. Having seen it on TV it was very very close but was off side, but the lino missed it so one nil to us. Had it been a Hammers goal I don't think anyone would have screamed 'Off Side' because it was so close. As for our second goal, we'd celebrated, Ryan had run his 100 yards and run back again, everyone was ready to take the kick off and yet still the Ref had his hand in his ear checking. This must have been a full two to three minutes and still checking. At this point it was as if they were looking for a reason to chalk it off.
I'm on the fence. Let's check only if the lino puts his/her flag up (or introduce the yellow flags as per US sports).

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Please could you explain how it improves the game?

I imagine if you were a West Ham you’d think it improved the game, as it prevented them incorrectly being denied a draw. The same will be true for us when we benefit at some point in the season.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Wmy only questionjh is hiow long dioesn tyhe passage of play last to rule out a goal. ie Had Trossards shot hit GM and gobe out wide for Montoya to cross back in and Trosssard shoot would it have still been disallowed. What if that happened 3 times before a clear shot went in the net, without an opponent touching the ball.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
The game as we know it is over. The disallowed goal, did West Ham appeal, did anyone appeal? If it was offside the the lino should have flagged, that's why he's there. Having seen it on TV it was very very close but was off side, but the lino missed it so one nil to us. Had it been a Hammers goal I don't think anyone would have screamed 'Off Side' because it was so close. As for our second goal, we'd celebrated, Ryan had run his 100 yards and run back again, everyone was ready to take the kick off and yet still the Ref had his hand in his ear checking. This must have been a full two to three minutes and still checking. At this point it was as if they were looking for a reason to chalk it off.
I'm on the fence. Let's check only if the lino puts his/her flag up (or introduce the yellow flags as per US sports).

If it was a Hammers goal it would have been analysed on TV after the match and deemed offside, we would have lost the match, we would all be pissed off and moaning that the officials are crap and it's time technology was bought in to help them out because these things are happening far too often.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Yes. That wouldn’t be at all disruptive. Apart from when managers use their review to prevent the other team building momentum towards the back end of every single game.

And what happens if a Review has been used but the ref misses, for instance, a player punching the ball off the goal-line in stoppage time? If you’re not going to overturn that, you might as well not bother with the technology at all.

Offside is a problem. The rest - based on clear and obvious mistakes - seems to work pretty well so far. And has huge potential to prevent players from trying to cheat in the first place.

Fair points but how many times have the officials missed "a player punching the ball off the goal line in stoppage time"?

I just think that a limited review system would work better than the current one.

I'd have trialled it in way less significant competitions for much longer anyway. VAR can work but it's been brought in too soon imo.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I’ve totally changed my view on VAR. I’d rather some duff decisions than that feeling after coming back from my celebratory piss to be told it was disallowed. Deflated ? Waiting 2 mins before I can go mental.........it’s tough really tough.

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Been banging this (cricket style DRS) drum already, as have others.

One review per team per half. Ref allowed to review decisions if he's not sure. Everything else, leave it alone.

If you decide not to review and it was wrong, hard luck. If you've wasted your review, hard luck.

I'm in favour of VAR in principle, but the reviewing of every goal and the ridiculously borderline offside calls are undermining the positives of the system.

My position has nothing to do with today's game btw.

I'm not sure footballers are intelligent enough to use the system as wisely, but it would be mildly amusing For a few weeks.

The fact a cricket like system has not been tried or even considered is testament to the retardedness of the FA/EUEFA/FIFA and their insatiable appetite for revenue over the good of the game. . . Or am I being a bit cynical?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Problem is though that even if the goal looks ok to us, there is always the possibility that it could be ruled out for an infringement missed in it's build up, even further back down the pitch.

How far back do the VAR officials go back to check such things?
About a minute before West Ham scored there was a clear foul on Stephens in the middle of the pitch which everyone near me shouted for a 'foul', then within a minute they scored. Should the ref go back that far? I know I'm being pedantic but if a team has the ball for say an entire minute and then score, could the VAR officials go back that whole minute in case there was foul against the opposition 40 odd seconds before?

According to the helpful notes in today's programme: "They will check for any infringements by the attacking team in the attacking possession phase that led to the goal."

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
Its horrible not being able to to jump for joy when we score from a cross or whatever. Even our second I thought it was being reviewed and was starting to get worried. Its especially annoying them to not telling the reason for the 'review'.

I dont think football is supposes to be so perfect. Yes for clear mistakes I like VAR, but I didnt think it would be used for things like a player being a hair offside, that should be down to the lino or ref imo.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
I imagine if you were a West Ham you’d think it improved the game, as it prevented them incorrectly being denied a draw. The same will be true for us when we benefit at some point in the season.

But this isn't about who benefits. Sure we lost out today and we will benefit at some point. Maybe we will even gain extra points as a result, but I couldn't give a monkey's. It's ruined the best thing about watching football live at a ground - end of story for me. Maybe if one day technology can give instantaneous, accurate offside decisions then it will be worth it but for the moment it's a bloody passion killer.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Its horrible not being able to to jump for joy when we score from a cross or whatever. Even our second I thought it was being reviewed and was starting to get worried. Its especially annoying them to not telling the reason for the 'review'.

I dont think football is supposes to be so perfect. Yes for clear mistakes I like VAR, but I didnt think it would be used for things like a player being a hair offside, that should be down to the lino or ref imo.

It's only used in this way for offside and balls being out of play, as they're objective decisions -- just like goal line technology. Beyond that, it's for clear and obvious mistakes.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
100% yes.

Was the correct decision, just like VAR ruling out Murray's handball v Watford was the correct decision.

Correct decisions being made by referees is a positive thing. How many points has shambolic refereeing in the past cost us - so I'm glad that we are to see a massive improvement in the quality of refereeing because of VAR.

Some days it will suit us, others it won't. Will just will take a bit of getting used to.

Var not giving a handball against Murray was not to its credit. The ref didn't give it in the first place. If var over-ruled the ref if he'd made a mistake, then I can see logic in crediting the confounded thing.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Fair points but how many times have the officials missed "a player punching the ball off the goal line in stoppage time"?

Fair enough. I don’t think it’s perfect by any means and in some ways irritating - but I quite like the way we’re trying to implement it in this country. Next to no use of the pitch-side monitor for instance which really does waste time... usually with the ref agreeing with the VAR.

Obviously, the punch off the goal line is extreme, but we’ve all seen dodgy penalties time and again.

Hopefully it’ll get better over time.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here