Propper
Stephens
March

Gross

Murray

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I said at the time i was disappointed with the Mooy signing. Many on here were pleased though. Midfield will be our downfall this season. Simply not good enough

15th 1st season
17th 2nd season

Downhill spiral and yet that midfield hasn't changed. This is my major concern.

Cheer up mate nothings happened yet, let's just enjoy the first ten games and see how we are then, it's a bit early to be reaching for the Prozec just yet

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I'm another you can mark down in the surprised Trossard isn't starting. He looked good in the bits I saw of him in pre-season and seemed to get many more minutes than Gross.

As for the line up, it'll be interesting to see how last years team actually do in a new system and a more attack minded coach. There are a number of people, myself included, who didn't think Hughton was getting the best out of the attacking players at his disposal. So lets see how we perform with those 'shackles' off.

SussexSeahawk

Jun 2, 2016
Is obviously 3 at the back. Only question is 3-4-1-2 with Gross in behind or a 3-4-3 with Gross on the right side and Locadia on the left: personally I would hope for the latter.

Lots of people don't seem to know that Gross played on the right side of the front 3 at Ingolstadt in a 3-4-3 and obviously created a lot of chances. Personally I think he is well suited to the role as he will pop up in lots of the crossing positions he does when he comes wide from the 10 role.

D

Deleted member 2719

He will respect all the players, and I don't think anyone should be chosen to start just because they started games last season. He should pick the team which he feels is most likely to get a result today (and I assume he has done that).

:shrug: so do the old boys

I disagree I think he has started with the guys with Premier League experience and he will dip his toe in with others if needed.

It's not to say they are not ready it just makes sense.

teammelli

Jul 25, 2018
So should we just name an 18 man squad and loan the rest out?

No, it wasn't.

Don't be a prick. And knock off the straw man arguments.
The "most expensive signing in BHA history" (until recently) is clearly not a part of the team's short or long-term plans if he played chump minutes in pre-season and doesn't even make the bench on gameday 1. Just loan him out and move on.
Oh well, still excited to see the rest of the team play this season, just hope we do something different than last year's tactics.

pocketseagull

Dec 29, 2014
It feels like we're forgetting all the talk of Potter coming in to get the best out of our players and this season being a fresh start.

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
Disappointed about Alireza not even on the bench. Why not just loan him out if not part of BHA plans??
From a BHA fan perspective also disappointed about Trossard on the bench.
Wasn't it Einstein who said "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"?

I’m pleased that Ali J isn’t even on bench as he’s be a dreadful, but agree we should have got rid of him. Loco very very lucky to be starting imo - undeserved

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Am I the only one not surprised first game of the season against a very good side he’s put faith to kick off the season in those who were here when he arrived?

It’s good management - you don’t just ditch the core of the side and lose that spirit by ditching players for a player he’s been at the club less than a week. Sure the selections will evolve quite quickly, but almost a predictable start for me.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Am I the only one not surprised first game of the season against a very good side he’s put faith to kick off the season in those who were here when he arrived?

It’s good management - you don’t just ditch the core of the side and lose that spirit by ditching players for a player he’s been at the club less than a week. Sure the selections will evolve quite quickly, but almost a predictable start for me.

Predictable start perhaps. I’m fearful of a predictable result though....Hope I’m wrong.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
So based on that team we have bought a load of players who are no better than those they were supposed to be replacing?

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
Remember also that Potter is not averse to changing things up mid match - if it’s not working with the old guard he will switch it up.

Also why write off the old players before we’ve even seen what they can do under Potter? All will be keen to impress today.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here