Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] **** England v Australia, 1st Specsavers Ashes Test, Edgbaston. Official match thread ****

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I post what I think and obviously not something that I know to be wrong. If it is different to the usual, so be it. Smith has gone to 46 and you now expect him to get past 50 and reach his century and Australia's hopes rest with him and somebody staying with him. With all of our batsmen Root included, now that Cook has retired, you hope that somebody will score a century. That is the difference.
BG I’d love Test Match Special with you and Boycott doing the afternoon session. You both really know your stuff.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
If you’re going to continually post uninformed drivel to the extent it dilutes the quality of the thread then expect some criticism.

By BG’s admittance he doesn’t know much about cricket, I don’t know a lot about F1 so I wouldn’t continually post tripe day in day out.

It’s not exclusively cricket either.

Boxing - he’s gone on for years about how bad Fury is and how good Joshua is.

Running thread he starts saying that somebody told him some half marathons measure 10k.

I wouldn’t mind but his tone is that of an expert. He adds so little to these threads. That being said he makes me laugh so it’s not all doom and gloom.

Not really. @BG is relentlessly negative and/or pessimistic about England cricket on here.....from an admitted position of knowing sweet FA or thereabouts

Our man [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] has met BGg. Had nothing bad to say at all.......despite my prodding.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I don't use the ignore function for anyone. If someone spouts nonsense, I prefer to see their crap challenged. I am chilled, I just choose to disagree with posts that I think are bullsh*t.

Nope. See above.
Likewise. I have nobody on ignore. Give em enough rope etc.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Our man [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] has met BGg. Had nothing bad to say at all.......despite my prodding.

I’ve no doubt he’s a nice old chap and he’s completely aware of what he’s posting. He is massively negative on the England cricket team though.........

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Anyway, Rob Key's shirt (analysing Lancs/Notts). A BRAVE move? Or just a fat bloke who looks like he's covered in APHIDS? Not sure about Butcher's choice either. [emoji23]

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I’ve no doubt he’s a nice old chap and he’s completely aware of what he’s posting. He is massively negative on the England cricket team though.........

I am n ot really as I have said I was brought up on Denis Compton Cyril Washbrook Peter May etc so expect our batsmen to be able to compare with them and our bowlers to Laker, Lock Snow etc and get frustrated when they do not. I think that it is down to too many limited over games. I think that Bairstow epitomizes that good limited over opener but cannot even bat at no 7 or 8 for the test team.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I am n ot really as I have said I was brought up on Denis Compton Cyril Washbrook Peter May etc so expect our batsmen to be able to comparewith them andour bowlers to Laker, Lock Snow etc and get frustrated when they do not. I think that it is down to too many limited over games. I think that Bairstow epitomises that
But BG. NONE of those great players of their time would last ten seconds in the current era.

It's like comparing football players from different eras.

It's not the same game. I prefer to enjoy the now rather than incomparable comparisons from yesteryear.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I am n ot really as I have said I was brought up on Denis Compton Cyril Washbrook Peter May etc so expect our batsmen to be able to compare with them and our bowlers to Laker, Lock Snow etc and get frustrated when they do not. I think that it is down to too many limited over games. I think that Bairstow epitomizes that good limited over opener but cannot even bat at no 7 or 8 for the test team.

Little bit before my time (Botham, Willis, Edmunds, Embury etc more my formative years). Our current lineup is massively frustrating....talent is there but application sometimes isn’t. I wouldn’t call Root out though as you often do, he’s immense.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
But BG. NONE of those great players of their time would last ten seconds in the current era.

It's like comparing football players from different eras.

It's not the same game. I prefer to enjoy the now rather than incomparable comparisons from yesteryear.

Why would they not has the batting and bowling technique changed? Those batsmen mentioned pitted their wits against bowlers as fast as todays with just a cap on and a bat in their hands no fancy helmets and padding. If they got hit it hurt but they carried on. The bowlers like Laker and Lock relied on craft and even as recent as Swann he did the same. Footballers are different as the fitness levels now are greater.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Why would they not has the batting and bowling technique changed? Those batsmen mentioned pitted their wits against bowlers as fast as todays with just a cap on and a bat in their hands no fancy helmets and padding. If they got hit it hurt but they carried on. The bowlers like Laker and Lock relied on craft and even as recent as Swann he did the same. Footballers are different as the fitness levels now are greater.
Yeah ok. It's exactly the same.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Fred Trueman would simply knock their bloody blocks off. Simple.
Thommo was the quickest apparently. But he got slaughtered the night before to bowl better with a hangover.

Training and skill has improved, so (as you know dazzer) it's a different game.

Go away BG. You already said you have no idea about cricket. If you saw the way kids train now then maybe you'd understand. The skill level is off the scale compared to the 60's/70's.

My son's U13-U16 team would give Boycott & Co a game. The current England team would DESTROY them.

Try talking to anyone at a club.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Why would they not has the batting and bowling technique changed? Those batsmen mentioned pitted their wits against bowlers as fast as todays with just a cap on and a bat in their hands no fancy helmets and padding.

Yeah, I think batsmen from a previous era would do fine. Not only have modern cricketers got more protection, they're also batting on covered wickets and have much better bats. The idea that someone like Bradman would struggle in modern cricket is laughable.

Bowlers of about 40+ years ago may struggle however - pitches are better and they get less help from the weather.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Thommo was the quickest apparently. But he got slaughtered the night before to bowl better with a hangover.

Training and skill has improved, so (as you know dazzer) it's a different game.

Go away BG. You already said you have no idea about cricket. If you saw the way kids train now then maybe you'd understand. The skill level is off the scale compared to the 60's/70's.

My son's U13-U16 team would give Boycott & Co a game. The current England team would DESTROY them.

Try talking to anyone at a club.

I will leave it now but I can understand them being fitter etc but not the ability to hit the ball through the covers or square cut.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here