Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I labored into 5th at East Grinstead this morning, 19th different course and another Sussex parkrun ticked off. Genuinely lovely course, twice up the big hill and more twists and turns than I like, considering my sense of direction! But a lovely course on the grass, with a bit of woodland in there as well. I ran 20:31, which has been enough to take the win some weeks but there was a bit of quality at the top of the field this week. My mate came 2nd, which means that in the last 8 weeks - his times would have been enough to win 5 of them. The 3 weeks his time hasn't been enough are the 3 times he's actually shown up! 2nd each time, the guy is fantastically unlucky.

I'd rate the E Grinstead course s on a par with Uckfield both in terms of scenery and difficulty...………….not to mention the mud when wet. 20.31 is mightily respectable on that track.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
It was definitely Paul G I saw; it looked like a nasty lower leg problem. I didn't see anyone in a bad way at the end, but Caroline Wood is so bloody fit she could have probably carried someone on her back for the whole 5K - and still got an 85%+ AG!

I must say that Arena 80 is an impressive outfit both in terms of quantity and quality.

I forgot my Waitrose review. Go to Brighton Waitrose before Parkrun and it's dead quiet. Go to Worthing Waitrose before Parkrun and it's like they've opened all the local graves.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I forgot my Waitrose review. Go to Brighton Waitrose before Parkrun and it's dead quiet. Go to Worthing Waitrose before Parkrun and it's like they've opened all the local graves.

Yes, your Worthing residents like to get up early on the assumption that if they get up early then they must still be alive! And then where better to celebrate this than Waitrose (I shop therefore I am)?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Well done Park Runners today some good times posted.

I had the fortune of picking the hottest day of the year for a 14 mile off road hilly run up to Ditchling Beacon from Sussex Uni before heading back up and down what felt like hills galore.

The heat was enough but it was so still and by the 7 mile mark I was pretty spent. Decided to walk the biggest hills from mile 8 onwards and made sure I hydrated at the two water stations.

Incredibly scenic just too hot. It was billed as tough, brutal, stunning which it certainly was. I’d love to use those as key words in a dating agency search engine.

Anyway 15th out of 200 so fairly pleased with that although I took a wrong turn at the end, should have been 14th.

Phoenix 10k will be a doddle for you after that. Well raced, well paced and well placed.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Phoenix 10k will be a doddle for you after that. Well raced, well paced and well placed.

True. But I won’t be afforded 3 water stops where I probably spent a good 6/7 minutes to rehydrate and take on some food.

No cups at this event so unless you had s camelpack you had to use a tap to fill your bottle. Pain in the arse carrying it around too.

D

Deleted member 2719

Good luck. Hove Park for me - hoping for a bit of shade and a cooling breeze. No PB tomorrow I suspect!

Thanks, I woke uo dehydrated and decided to leave it until monday morning.

How did you go???

D

Deleted member 2719

Paced 25 mins and it was still hard in the heat - wasn’t a day to go for it. Out for 11 miles this morning- thankfully it’s a bit fresher today.

Fair play to you, you're in a different league to me, 8k is the furthest I have run for 30 years!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Paced 25 mins and it was still hard in the heat - wasn’t a day to go for it. Out for 11 miles this morning- thankfully it’s a bit fresher today.

Certainly was a lot fresher. Managed 12 miles in 2 hours, a deliberate LSR for the first time since Brighton training. We headed inland and tackled Hove Park and Dyke Road before returning home along the seafront in to a nice breeze that stopped the sweat blinding me.

The amount of rubbish and crap along the seafront was truly shocking. ****ing Londoners.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
5 miler along the prom for me where I found I was sharing it with the guys doing the final leg of the Worthing Sprint Tri. There's also a Standard Tri and a relay Standard one. To be really competitive the runner would need to be around 40 mins, the cyclist around 1 hour (40 K) and the swimmer around 20 mins. And then probably still get beaten by the winning individual competitor. Saw a few 'Brighton Tri' vests and some of the local 'Tuff Fitty' ones. Saw lots of big units on the course and then found out it also serves as the National Police Triathlon!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Had a month or so of mostly treadmill stuff, so just basic maintenance and trying to keep the worst effects of business travel and an all-inclusive holiday resort at bay. No real plan this morning other than a couple of hours of fresh air, so did J&J Windmills, Beacon, down to the Swan at Falmer, short bit along the A27 to Housedean and then back up the SDW from the layby. About 13.5m at a very gentle pace, just great to back in the Sussex countryside.....

.....dropping into a 10 week or so plan now to try to get match fit for a 50 miler in mid September so need to crank the weekly mileage up a bit. Starting point though is losing the accumulated poundage [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

D

Deleted member 2719

These new trainers aren't all their cracked up to be.

First run ............................PB
Second run....................... PB
Third run........................... X
Fourth run..........................X

Stuffs is just not made to last nowadays. :tantrum:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Doing the club track mile tonight at Withdean. Looking forward to it. Haven't done any speed work since last November so will see how near I can get to 6 minutes.

Then it will be trying to get some stamina for the Phoenix 10K. It's Wednesday week!

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
I volunteered at Tilgate Park Run on Saturday, was a pacer as pacer day but due to the heat they called off pace runners as didn't want people pushing too hard in the heat, it was 23c at 9am! So as they where short of other volunteers switched over to a sweaty high viz bib instead! Local running hero James Westlake turned up and did a recovery run as coming back from injury and won it in 16.21, a superb time in that heat! He did a second lap of the lake encouraging other runners. I ran the park run course at 10.30 once all finished and cleared away, it was by then 26c so took it nice and easy and then went back via my gym and the its nice cool pool!

Sunday I decided at the last minute to do the Lingfield 10 mile trail run. A lovely route, some challenging hills (876 feet on climbing), but a really well marshalled event by Lingfield Running Club. A great bunch of runners, about 300 in total, but with slightly more doing the 10k option than the 10 miles. I was pleased to finish in 1.39. Afterwards some nice tea/coffee and cake available for a small donation. It was hot but still not as hot as the day before, but I really enjoyed it. Trails are definitely the way forward.
Linfield 1.jpg
linfield 2.jpg

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Amazing performance from Tom Evans at Western States 100 over the weekend. 3rd place on his 100 mile debut and fastest ever time for a non-American, going under 15 hours! The guy is a machine.

I've been thinking of having a crack at a 50 mile ultra in 2020 after the London Marathon in April. Following Western States at the weekend it got me even more inspired to have a go. I'd love to get some insight and recommendations on 50 mile trail races (ideally in the south) from the esteemed ultra runners :bowdown: in our NSC Runners Community. Perhaps [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] ? I've had a look at the Centurion races. SDW50 is too close to London but NDW50 might work although I think in the Summer would be better. Race to the King in June looks good. Any 50 miler recommendations would be great, thanks!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Some great weekend running, people – not easy in that heat.

I finished my Junathlon over the weekend with a couple of little runs to notch up 100 miles for the month. Running every day (and no real long distance – only one run of more than 10 miles) has left my legs knackered, but I've got a bit of pace back (at times). Looking to carry on with the short stuff and get the times down, but also at a marathon this month, or early August, to give me something to aim for. Saw an advert or the CTH 10k on 8th September, which I'll probably go for as well.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Amazing performance from Tom Evans at Western States 100 over the weekend. 3rd place on his 100 mile debut and fastest ever time for a non-American, going under 15 hours! The guy is a machine.

I've been thinking of having a crack at a 50 mile ultra in 2020 after the London Marathon in April. Following Western States at the weekend it got me even more inspired to have a go. I'd love to get some insight and recommendations on 50 mile trail races (ideally in the south) from the esteemed ultra runners :bowdown: in our NSC Runners Community. Perhaps [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] ? I've had a look at the Centurion races. SDW50 is too close to London but NDW50 might work although I think in the Summer would be better. Race to the King in June looks good. Any 50 miler recommendations would be great, thanks!

Outstanding performance from Evans..........linking up the two parts of your thread, he won the SDW50 last year in a ridiculous time and course record (5.44 I think from memory - so, basically two hilly trail marathons, back to back, each comfortably under 3 hours [emoji33][emoji33][emoji33]). There’s a great interview with him on one of the UK Ultra podcasts. Very down to earth.

You can’t go wrong with a Centurion event to be honest. I’ve done both the SDW and NDW 50s, NDW hills are perhaps a bit steeper in places but overall there isn’t a massive difference (I think overall course elevation is similar). Fantastic aid stations, well-spaced on both (every 5-7 miles typically). Both courses will be exceptionally well marked so no need to recce it if you can’t get there. You might take a look at their CW50 in September too - logistics are a bit easier as it’s a loop rather than point to point (and the WW50 is 5 x 10 mile loops). Be aware they are selling out very, very quickly now though.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Happy with a 6:07 mile at Withdean. Finished 10 seconds behind Paul Gasson, recovered from his Worthing cramp and 90 seconds behind the winner. Not bad after the recent month off.
Haven't burnt my lungs or got jelly legs like this evening for ages.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Outstanding performance from Evans..........linking up the two parts of your thread, he won the SDW50 last year in a ridiculous time and course record (5.44 I think from memory - so, basically two hilly trail marathons, back to back, each comfortably under 3 hours [emoji33][emoji33][emoji33]). There’s a great interview with him on one of the UK Ultra podcasts. Very down to earth.

You can’t go wrong with a Centurion event to be honest. I’ve done both the SDW and NDW 50s, NDW hills are perhaps a bit steeper in places but overall there isn’t a massive difference (I think overall course elevation is similar). Fantastic aid stations, well-spaced on both (every 5-7 miles typically). Both courses will be exceptionally well marked so no need to recce it if you can’t get there. You might take a look at their CW50 in September too - logistics are a bit easier as it’s a loop rather than point to point (and the WW50 is 5 x 10 mile loops). Be aware they are selling out very, very quickly now though.

Many thanks for the advice! Both SDW50 and NDW50 look fantastic. It's just a shame they take place a couple of weeks either side of the London Marathon which is my A race for the early part of next year. CW50 looks great too and perhaps better suited for a complete novice like me. Thanks again! :)

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Happy with a 6:07 mile at Withdean. Finished 10 seconds behind Paul Gasson, recovered from his Worthing cramp and 90 seconds behind the winner. Not bad after the recent month off.
Haven't burnt my lungs or got jelly legs like this evening for ages.

Blimey - he (Paul) looked like he had an-out-for-a-month injury. The Arena 80s are a tough old bunch. Good session from you. Looking good for the Phoenix 10K or still a bit lacking in endurance?

I'm doing bit of parkrun tourism this weekend - Seaton in Devon. Another prom course, of course.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here