Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Bloom's managerial appointments

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
So getting us into the playoffs is dreadful. I assume you are expecting the next manager to win the double in their first season on that basis

Style of football.
We were lucky to be in, it was other teams shortcomings that allowed us to get there towards the end, and then we were well and truly shown up by Derby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
The entire club has been learning how to find it's feet since the beginning of the Amex era. Mistakes have been made but we seem to have learned from most of them. Whatever happens, Bloom has the best intentions for this club and it's future.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
We had the worst injury crisis in the time I have watched the Albion, the season that Garcia was here. I thought he did a good job under the circumstances. He walked when it be became clear we were going to downgrade our squad.

Injury crisis? What CMS and Orlandi?
Not quite how I remember it.

He was going to leave in the February but was persuaded to stay.

We were so boring, Yeovil away, just terrible football - Craig Conway, we are so lucky with what we have now.....

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Totally disagree with the OP on this.

Poyet was a great appointment and it wasn’t TB’s fault it all went his head. Since then we’ve had one really bad season under Semi/CH and this is the second worst. All the others have been pretty good - this the first year in many when we’ve gone backwards.

So I reckon TB has done pretty well.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
We battered Derby in the first leg. Lost the second leg 4-0, but had loads of injuries. It wasn't Garcia's fault.

We did not batter them we lost 2-1, watch the highlights.

We were a poor footballing team, apparently as the last 48 hours have suggested this is the fault of the manager.

Sorry, I didn’t rate Garcia and thought the football was very dull.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Injury crisis? What CMS and Orlandi?
Not quite how I remember it.

He was going to leave in the February but was persuaded to stay.

We were so boring, Yeovil away, just terrible football - Craig Conway, we are so lucky with what we have now.....

You are rewriting history here, Garcia got little backing, lost good players who were replaced by shit ones, had an extensive injury list throughout the season, but he still got us to the playoffs. Absolutely no surprise the football was dire given what he had to work with and the fall out after Poyet

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/may/11/brighton-oscar-garcia-resignation-defeat

Oh and look how well we did when he left, it took some equally dire football from CH to keep us up after Hyypia and we then we spent a shitload, comparitively, the following season.

I think Oscar would have done well for us if he’d got the backing he needed but for whatever reason TB put his cheque book away and made money on sales after Poyet for a season and a half.

Last edited:

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
And i'd imagine Ashworth will have a huge input this time.

This. That could be a TB master stroke. TB is obviously a very successful businessman and a top BHA fan but not necessarily a footballing genius.

So what does he do? Employ someone who has built up one of the best reputations in the English game.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
So he’s got a better record than most owners then.

This.

Another stupid thread.

If you want to pontificate about shit owners then look no further than Old Trafford.

I am more than happy with TB.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Is this a click bait thread?

Basically, Tony Bloom has appointed managers who have taken us to the play-offs more than once; got us promoted more than once and seen us play in the highest echelons of the football league.

If that's poor and patchy decision making, then I'm lost for words.

Some people on here need to give their brain cell a rest.

danish seagull

Apr 16, 2012
København
Bloom's appointment record is patchy and not very convincing.

Two inspired choices, one reasonable but not proven, and one catastrophe.

Poyet - inspired and inspiring
Garcia - anonymous
Hyypia - catastrophically bad
Hughton - excellent safe pair of hands

The Hyypia appointment was made worse by the fact that Hyypia wasn't even sacked but had to resign. Bloom froze in the spot light.

It remains to be seen whether today is a knee jerk over-reaction from that experience. This time he shot the horse before it had even started to limp.

The horse was well past the limping stage...

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
You are rewriting history here, Garcia got little backing, lost good players who were replaced by shit ones, had an extensive injury list throughout the season, but he still got us to the playoffs. Absolutely no surprise the football was dire given what he had to work with and the fall out after Poyet

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/may/11/brighton-oscar-garcia-resignation-defeat

Oh and look how well we did when he left, it took some equally dire football from CH to keep us up after Hyypia and we then we spent a shitload, comparitively, the following season.

I think Oscar would have done well for us if he’d got the backing he needed but for whatever reason TB put his cheque book away and made money on sales after Poyet for a season and a half.

If memory serves that was the year Paul Barber couldn't open his gob without mentioning Financial Fair play. The year after the rules were changed to the 3 year loss which eased the cheque book slightly (and were the catalyst for Gus's ceiling comments)

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Unfair to call Garcia anonymous. Bar Ulloa and Upson, he took a very average Albion side to the play-off semis, if he were to have stayed another year I doubt we would have had as catastrophic a season in 2014-2015.

& fell out with Bloom. Who then appointed Sami.
Not Tony's most glorious period

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Yes Hyypia was a poor appointment but he was gone by Christmas. If our first half of this season had been like our second half I think Chris would have been gone by Christmas as well.
Will always love Chris but football has always been a results driven business. Chris knows that and must have feared the worst on Sunday.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

I don’t agree at all.

Poyet gave us some great football and left Garcia with the makings of a good team, the fact is that we actually went backwards. Investment wise(That is not rewriting history, but what the table states), that downward trend continued with Hyypia.

The quality of signings were an issue, but we picked up Lingaard on loan, Upson, Ward. Plus we still had Crofts, Stephens, Buckley, Lopez, Bruno, Greer, Barnes (first half of season), Calderon, kuszczak......

Hardly poor

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here