Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I've run Barns Green several times, and can only concur with what everyone else has said - they do a nice range of gold, silver and bronze medals too (though that might still rankle with [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] after last year's race).

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
NSC ORT outing ? Same for me - must be 8/9 years since I've done it.

Well I've just entered.

In fact I think I will be doing a flurry of race entering due to having zero mojo after the marathon. I can't do another marathon for a while, I just can't face one right now, but I might well enter for Beachy Head and use BG as a warm up.

I have - and feel free to laugh and pillory all you want - entered Worthing 10K :lol: . The simple reason is that I need something to train for right now and I'd like to have a crack at the NSC regular meetups of Phoenix 10K and maybe Weakest Link. Worthing and a parkrun or two before it will give me some kind of indication on my form for shorter runs and there's no need to go back to three hour training runs with a belt full of gels.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Jealous I'll be on my European campervan tour for BG. Also heard great reviews. Will do a few Polish Parkruns and Sofia Half instead and hope to be back in time to do the Mince Pie or Downland Devil for the first time in years.

On current races planned I have Oslo Parkrun 8 June, Worthing Arena Age Grade race on 29 June and I better do the Phoenix 10K Wednesday evening July 10. Weakest Link is Wednesday June 19th June.

Gives me time to slowly build up again. Just had first sea swim wearing tri suit, green algae is coming in but it was a beautiful short 300m and has left me feeling rejuvenated.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Jealous I'll be on my European campervan tour for BG. Also heard great reviews. Will do a few Polish Parkruns and Sofia Half instead and hope to be back in time to do the Mince Pie or Downland Devil for the first time in years.

On current races planned I have Oslo Parkrun 8 June, Worthing Arena Age Grade race on 29 June and I better do the Phoenix 10K Wednesday evening July 10. Weakest Link is Wednesday June 19th June.

Gives me time to slowly build up again. Just had first sea swim wearing tri suit, green algae is coming in but it was a beautiful short 300m and has left me feeling rejuvenated.

Well that's the quickest DNS in history :down: - Weds 19 June is wife's birthday. Am out. Gutted.

I'll enter Phoenix shortly though - what's not to like about post run beer and peanuts. As you might have gathered from when I just spluttered past your beach hut I've managed to get my tempo legs and lungs back on. 4*4 mins tempo with 2 min jog recovery on the front for lunch.

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard

Torun parkrun looks nice. I was over there in March for the World masters indoors but didn't get round to doing it. Did run over to it a couple of days later, in a Forest at the end of a massive council estate!

Torun itself worth a visit too. Try the 20zl mega kebab from the Kebab shop (there's only one UK style Kebab shop!)...you'll never finish it.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
I’ve not run it myself, but I am thinking of doing Bournemouth in October.

I've done the Bournemouth Half a few times, 2015, 2016 & 2017 I think. It's on the same day as the full and they use a lot of the same route. The half starts first, then the full. It's a really well organised event. You start close by the football ground and finish by the pier. I'd say it's slightly smaller than Brighton in size of participants and spectators but has a similar feel. For example, a lot of the route is along the coast so there's the risk of the wind playing a part and it has some rolling up and doiwn elevation. There's a short but pretty nasty hill around mile 8 or 9 through a park which comes out of nowhere and very unnecessary! Except for one year when it was cold and wet, the weather has been relatively warm and sunny for early Oct. so we've had a nice family weekend away.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Anyone else thinking of heading out for a nice long run on Saturday at 5:30pm to avoid any chance of hearing how the Cardiff game is going? It's the only way I think I'll be able to relieve the stress.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I've just done my first mid week run for 6 and a half weeks.:clap:

That was the week after Brighton last won a PL game at Selhurst. A mixture of race taper, race rest, race taper, bad back, race taper, bad thighs, hayfever, chest cold, breathing difficulties, lethargy and headaches have screwed up most efforts. Still coughing phlegm and blocked but feeling much better and ready to get going again but slowly slowly. Planning a Withdean track intervals return in 2 weeks. Lot of work to do but things can only get better.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Torun parkrun looks nice. I was over there in March for the World masters indoors but didn't get round to doing it. Did run over to it a couple of days later, in a Forest at the end of a massive council estate!

Torun itself worth a visit too. Try the 20zl mega kebab from the Kebab shop (there's only one UK style Kebab shop!)...you'll never finish it.

Bit too North for us. Somewhere More South maybe Krakow. Thanks for tip though.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I've just done my first mid week run for 6 and a half weeks.:clap:

That was the week after Brighton last won a PL game at Selhurst. A mixture of race taper, race rest, race taper, bad back, race taper, bad thighs, hayfever, chest cold, breathing difficulties, lethargy and headaches have screwed up most efforts. Still coughing phlegm and blocked but feeling much better and ready to get going again but slowly slowly. Planning a Withdean track intervals return in 2 weeks. Lot of work to do but things can only get better.

I've just had a run like that. Man-flu, VLM-legacy, sore hip, bit of achilles tendinitis kind of plod

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Looks like a NSC day out at Barns Green this year. I bought my entry early for a bargain £22.50.

Another one to throw into the mix for anyone looking for a race is the Maverick 'East Sussex 23k' starting near the Amex it's a Saturday morning on the 23/6.

I'm using this a prep for another crack at 13 Hardway 10/8. That's a really tough off-road slog.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Looks like a NSC day out at Barns Green this year. I bought my entry early for a bargain £22.50.

Another one to throw into the mix for anyone looking for a race is the Maverick 'East Sussex 23k' starting near the Amex it's a Saturday morning on the 23/6.

I'm using this a prep for another crack at 13 Hardway 10/8. That's a really tough off-road slog.

Do the full Hardway......it’s a proper beast of a run [emoji106][emoji16]

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Do the full Hardway......it’s a proper beast of a run [emoji106][emoji16]

Maybe 2020 I’m not in good enough shape to run the full race. It’s comfortably the toughest race outside of a marathon I’ve run. The time of year and late start time mean typically temperatures are right up there. Cracking food table at 7 miles though.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Maybe 2020 I’m not in good enough shape to run the full race. It’s comfortably the toughest race outside of a marathon I’ve run. The time of year and late start time mean typically temperatures are right up there. Cracking food table at 7 miles though.

Better one at 14.5 [emoji106][emoji23][emoji23]

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I was out running last night and developed tightness in my left leg, top of my rear thigh and where it connects to my arse. It was a dull ache and tightness. Buttock hurt as well. This morning I can really feel it. It really hurt when I put the leg up on a step to tie my shoe ace. Never had an issue with this area before. Guess it’s a glute and or hamstring issue?

I’ll Google it later but thought I’d see if anyone has any thought and advice.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I was out running last night and developed tightness in my left leg, top of my rear thigh and where it connects to my arse. It was a dull ache and tightness. Buttock hurt as well. This morning I can really feel it. It really hurt when I put the leg up on a step to tie my shoe ace. Never had an issue with this area before. Guess it’s a glute and or hamstring issue?

I’ll Google it later but thought I’d see if anyone has any thought and advice.

Could be any number of things - if it persists get to a physio. I had a similar thing last year, turned out to be nothing more than a knot in the glute that the physio dealt with in one session but I wasted 2 months. Dr Google failed to identify it though, but suggested high hamstring tendinitis was most likely.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Could be any number of things - if it persists get to a physio. I had a similar thing last year, turned out to be nothing more than a knot in the glute that the physio dealt with in one session but I wasted 2 months. Dr Google failed to identify it though, but suggested high hamstring tendinitis was most likely.

Cheers.

It’s really aching at the moment so I have booked an appointment with a physio tomorrow. He’s a marathon runner himself so hopefully he can sort me out.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Cheers.

It’s really aching at the moment so I have booked an appointment with a physio tomorrow. He’s a marathon runner himself so hopefully he can sort me out.

Perfect - good luck. I'd put money on it being a muscle knot (which would be a good, if temporarily excruciating) outcome. Possibly impinging on the sciatic nerve.....would explain the pain

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here