Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Brighton Marathon - 10th Year !! 🏃*♂️

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I did my first (and possibly last, tho never say never)10k on Sunday, to raise funds and awareness for my two little great-nephew twins who are both battling childhood leukemia at the age of 3. I'm WAY too old and overweight and asthmatic to be doing such things, as well being crippled by gout for a significant time when I should have been training for the run. Not ashamed to say I probably speed-walked as much as I jogged (1:33 thank you for asking). But even when I was speed walking, I received nothing but support from many of the inspirational people doing the run, as well as the lovely people who had come out to cheer on complete strangers. And total respect to all the volunteers made the day possible. It really was a fantastic experience and one I'd recommend to anybody thinking of doing it.

Superb effort! Well done to you, sir. That's the thing about the marathon weekend. 18,000 individual stories all being played out in public. It's an amazing thing.

I got sucked into the whole running thing just from following my wife around at events and cheering her on (she's a proper runner). A running event is one of the few places where you see complete strangers wishing other complete strangers nothing but the very best of luck. There's no malice, ill will or ego anywhere. You see people setting aside their own goals to help people across the line. Basically you get to see people at their absolute best and it can be a real joy.

Now that I'm lucky enough to photograph a lot of these things I frequently end up surreptitiously weepy behind my lens, as I see people doing things they never thought they could do and being cheered wildly as they do so. Three years ago I was fortunate enough to get a spot on the finishing straight at the London Marathon, as I was getting media shots for Save The Rhino. However, I took plenty of pictures of other participants too. This was one of my favourites, as it really does seem to encapsulate that marathon day spirit.

Well done to each and every one of you. Runners, walkers, cyclists, volunteers and supporters. You make it the amazing weekend that it is.

image.jpeg

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
For a 4 hour runner I would have thought the difference between the gun time and the chip time would have been more than 25 seconds.
Yes I wondered about that - Maybe a fresh gun time per starting pen? But yes otherwise I agree and maybe [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION]’s post explains it.

Good luck anyone running the marathon tomorrow.

Thank you in bouncing this thread.

I will be running the marathon this morning. Will be my 12th Brighton Marathon & am one of the ‘Ever Prescence’ having done them all. For how much longer I don’t know, but you can’t beat Brighton! At least I won’t get lost 😆. Hopefully see a number of BHA fans out on the streets.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Thank you in bouncing this thread.

I will be running the marathon this morning. Will be my 12th Brighton Marathon & am one of the ‘Ever Prescence’ having done them all. For how much longer I don’t know, but you can’t beat Brighton! At least I won’t get lost [emoji38]. Hopefully see a number of BHA fans out on the streets.

Well done on being ‘Ever Precence’ [emoji122][emoji122]

This will be my number 12 also……

‘Never Present’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

South west gull

Nov 3, 2021
Does anybody know roughly what time the leading runners get to boundary rd portslade this morning?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Does anybody know roughly what time the leading runners get to boundary rd portslade this morning?

it's mile 16 and a 5" mile pace will get them there at 11:05, so be by the Foghorn by 11. I reckon 11:07 but you wouldn't want to miss them.

bomber130

bomber130
Jun 10, 2011
I did the south downs trek 3 weeks a ago over a marathon distance in aid of St Barnabus. 7 hours 45 mins later I crossed the line broken. I did raise £800 which was worth the pain. Good luck to all those running the Brighton Marathon. Hope you all cross the line uninjured.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Well done to everyone running [emoji122] 20220410_103459.jpg

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
The 2 leaders arrived at the foghorn turn at 1117am

I can explain that slip up! :smile: I was working on a 2:10:00 finish time but the winner came in at 2:29:07 which is a normal time for Brighton. Better early than late.

Blue&WhiteSea

Jul 5, 2003
Sutton
I can explain that slip up! :smile: I was working on a 2:10:00 finish time but the winner came in at 2:29:07 which is a normal time for Brighton. Better early than late.

Seems the begging for elites to enter a few months ago didn't get much of a response, don't get me wrong 2:29 is amazing but would only just scrape elite entry requirements for Manchester and the London championship entry time is 2:40

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Seems the begging for elites to enter a few months ago didn't get much of a response, don't get me wrong 2:29 is amazing but would only just scrape elite entry requirements for Manchester and the London championship entry time is 2:40

Better runners are getting paid to enter some events these days.....Brighton appears to be a bit financially up shit creek so unlikely to be doing that. Heard a lot of criticism of the organisation this year - drop bag setup, lack of tee shirts etc. Add that to the incorrect distance previously and the high cost of entering it's no surprise overall numbers and quality of the field have dropped (seem to recall 15k+ in prior years, yesterday was more like 8k). Such a shame - it's fundamentally a brilliant event, really well supported and the route is mostly quite good (and fast for those runners that are any good). I was on one of the water stations yesterday and have to say the organisation relating to that was spot on - plenty of volunteers, everything we needed was there well in advance so we were set up way ahead of the first runners, hoodies and lunch provided for us and a comprehensive and very large cleaning crew came through soon after the tailgunner. Pretty much perfect weather yesterday as well - fantastic for spectators, volunteers and photos and not too hot for runners.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Brighton is a city, built for a great marathon. Enthusiastic crowds, great views and weather (typically).

But for me until the company who organises changes, I’m unlikely to run this again.

I went to Manchester the week before, and the organisation was much, much better.

Race number sent to your address, excellent bag drop which is where Brighton lets itself down. Add on distance miscalculations and licensing issues from the year before.

Manchester is also the quicker course, but I do prefer the Brighton crowds.

Made a refreshing change to watch the 10k finale and different parts of the marathon course yesterday.

Arjen Robben posting a very impressive debut marathon time.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....marathon-in-ridiculous-time-20220411.amp.html

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Loved this year’s event. Heard all about the t-shirt fracas, which would have been maddening for those that were after them, but I’d opted for the tree instead. Superb crowds, especially in the final mile. Signed up for 2023 at the first opportunity and am looking forward to the new trail marathon come June.

Better runners are getting paid to enter some events these days.....Brighton appears to be a bit financially up shit creek so unlikely to be doing that. Heard a lot of criticism of the organisation this year - drop bag setup, lack of tee shirts etc. Add that to the incorrect distance previously and the high cost of entering it's no surprise overall numbers and quality of the field have dropped (seem to recall 15k+ in prior years, yesterday was more like 8k). Such a shame - it's fundamentally a brilliant event, really well supported and the route is mostly quite good (and fast for those runners that are any good). I was on one of the water stations yesterday and have to say the organisation relating to that was spot on - plenty of volunteers, everything we needed was there well in advance so we were set up way ahead of the first runners, hoodies and lunch provided for us and a comprehensive and very large cleaning crew came through soon after the tailgunner. Pretty much perfect weather yesterday as well - fantastic for spectators, volunteers and photos and not too hot for runners.

A big thanks to you & all the helpers on Sunday. Plenty of people giving out refreshments.

I was really pleased with my 3:53.
My fastest marathon since #117 & Brighton was #228 for me.
Done all 12 - so would like to keep going for as long as I can

All the stats here for the number of finishers:

Year Date Event Finishers
2022 Apr 10 2022 Brighton Marathon Weekend 8,290
2021 Sep 12 Brighton Marathon 2021 4,106
2020 Apr 19 Brighton Marathon 2020 Cancelled : Due to Coronavirus
2019 Apr 13 Brighton Marathon 2019 10,041
2018 Apr 14 Brighton Marathon 2018 11,385
2017 Apr 9 Brighton Marathon 2017
Marathon Men (7,344)
Marathon Women (4,695) 12,039
2016 Apr 17 Brighton Marathon 2016