Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Very much this.Maccy D's get their beef elsewhere,and Eire economy goes into freefall.

I remember your previous and completely incorrect assessment of the Irish economy....which [MENTION=25]Gwylan[/MENTION] systematically pulled apart point by point.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
has it come from the MP or journalist misreading some comment

and its nothing that hasnt been said before, that a no deal will do a great deal of harm to Ireland, primarily since they would be restricted from trading with the their major trading partner. i once thought that would be used as an excuse for EU arrive at a lenient deal, but here we are.

I don't think anything has been misread, and the journalist reports the reactions of two MP's, I think it is difficult to interpret it in any other way, Ireland is not worried about a lack of vacuum cleaners, cars, or TV's in a no deal situation, it is food coming in, and their exports to the rest of the EU getting out.
If it were any country, it would not be a particularly friendly way to negotiate, but in this case, with our history with Ireland, it is abhorrent.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
I am surprised the Irish haven’t been more supportive. As well as us being their major trade partner, around 80% of their exports to Europe go from Dover via shipping to Liverpool or Holyhead. A no deal would affect them massively.

If you have time please go on YouTube and in the search bar write: Brexit: from an Irish perspective Daithi O'Ceallaigh. It may open your eyes, as it did mine, to the total selfish act and disaster this Brexit can be to our neighbours and long time friends and to indeed us as a nation. I'd put a link up but am not too computer savvy, sorry.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I am surprised the Irish haven’t been more supportive. As well as us being their major trade partner, around 80% of their exports to Europe go from Dover via shipping to Liverpool or Holyhead. A no deal would affect them massively.

Supportive of what exactly?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I don't think anything has been misread, and the journalist reports the reactions of two MP's, I think it is difficult to interpret it in any other way, Ireland is not worried about a lack of vacuum cleaners, cars, or TV's in a no deal situation, it is food coming in, and their exports to the rest of the EU getting out.
If it were any country, it would not be a particularly friendly way to negotiate, but in this case, with our history with Ireland, it is abhorrent.

Patel is emblematic of a nasty fringe that still exists in the Tory party and possibly the most condescending individual that exists in parliament.

Its begar belief she held the position for International Development in government

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
If you have time please go on YouTube and in the search bar write: Brexit: from an Irish perspective Daithi O'Ceallaigh. It may open your eyes, as it did mine, to the total selfish act and disaster this Brexit can be to our neighbours and long time friends and to indeed us as a nation. I'd put a link up but am not too computer savvy, sorry.

Found it.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patreon
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales

It would certainly help me get to work quicker as there would be far less lorries on the A55.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
Supportive of what exactly?

Of telling their EU masters that they need to agree to a free trade policy from day 1. Instead they seem to have taken front seat in the EUs anti-Brexit you can’t have your cake & eat it policy bus.

As it happens I think we’re heading to a no Brexit outcome so perhaps they’ve played their cards exactly right.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The Irish can export from Rosslare to Brittany shirley? And bye-pass Little Britain

Plans are already in the pipeline to route exports through Dublin and Cork.

“The Commission has adopted a proposal to revise the routing of one of its strategic transport corridors to connect Dublin and Cork with the Belgian ports of Zeebrugge and Antwerp and the Port of Rotterdam in the Netherlands, to channel trade directly from Ireland to mainland Europe after Brexit.”

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

See above.

Jan 30, 2008
plans are already in the pipeline to route exports through dublin and cork.

“the commission has adopted a proposal to revise the routing of one of its strategic transport corridors to connect dublin and cork with the belgian ports of zeebrugge and antwerp and the port of rotterdam in the netherlands, to channel trade directly from ireland to mainland europe after brexit.”
sounds a bit like northern Cyprus trading :lolol:
regards
DR

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Of telling their EU masters that they need to agree to a free trade policy from day 1. Instead they seem to have taken front seat in the EUs anti-Brexit you can’t have your cake & eat it policy bus.

As it happens I think we’re heading to a no Brexit outcome so perhaps they’ve played their cards exactly right.

They do support that, what the Brexiteers are crying about is what happens if we can't get one done before the end of the transition period, so some of them are trying to threaten no deal.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

but there was no threat, there was an observation there is an impact. by the way the Irish are very concerned about how trade is going to occur in future: they are building a port to try and cope and politicans keeping a party line with the EU , but Irish colleges tell me is a serious concern there. there wasnt a case of saying, as infered, we wont trade with the Irish, the question was asked why this wasn't made more prominent in negotiations to support trade. as i say, make this a case to justify a lighter approach. but it was "weaponised" by the EU early on, again to the dismay of the Irish. this article is pure spin, and people taking it in too willingly.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I remember your previous and completely incorrect assessment of the Irish economy....which [MENTION=25]Gwylan[/MENTION] systematically pulled apart point by point.

Shame you have such a selective memory,as he retracted somewhat,and admitted it wasn't quite as rosy a picture as he'd painted.Next you will be telling me the Irish don't sell their beef to Maccy D's.:lolol:

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
The Irish can export from Rosslare to Brittany shirley? And bye-pass Little Britain

Yeah,with their super-speed,pixey-dust propelled ferries going at 250 knots.Journey takes a bit longer.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here