Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NSC Easter Bunny CD 2015

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I've still not had anything through the post sadly. First time I've been let down though.

Also agree with [MENTION=3566]hans kraay fan club[/MENTION] if someone has gone to the trouble of making the CD for you it should be acknowledged and reviewed, part of the fun of this process is finding out what others think of your musical choices for their CD.

Should there be an automatic ban from the next round for CDs not reviewed and/or not sent?

The really annoying thing is that my recipient even acknowledged receipt of the CD over a month ago, but HATED it SO much, that he can't bring himself to hurt my feelings by SLATING it in a review.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Should there be an automatic ban from the next round for CDs not reviewed and/or not sent?

I would say so. A special reward for anyone who sends two as well. Yours is still the only one I received and still no review of the one I sent.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Well I am confused as the one I sent has evidently not arrived and it contained a free football programme from the early nineties. I am off to the post office for a show down tomorrow!

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I'd be happy for a list of tracks and I'll review them via You Tube. If my CD sender is reading this they could PM the list to Theatre of Trees to fwd to me.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
The CD I sent hasn't been acknowledged, hopefully it didn't get lost in the mail - happy to send it to someone on this thread who hasn't received one yet.

DavePage

Yah I have my first day of in months (thats how it feels) good new is that I am taking my son to Toronto for the baseball. a two hour train journey each way, ample time to listen to both CD’s in full to review (i’m guessing Guinness Boys gift to me) for which i thank him or to whoever else sent it if GB’s clues were red herrings.
May struggle with describing the second CD and it’s more indie /local band content as to the style of music.
I’m amazed that both of my sent CD’s haven’t found either destination as yet. apologies and please bear with me.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
Jul 23, 2003
Yah I have my first day of in months (thats how it feels) good new is that I am taking my son to Toronto for the baseball. a two hour train journey each way, ample time to listen to both CD’s in full to review (i’m guessing Guinness Boys gift to me) for which i thank him or to whoever else sent it if GB’s clues were red herrings.
May struggle with describing the second CD and it’s more indie /local band content as to the style of music.
I’m amazed that both of my sent CD’s haven’t found either destination as yet. apologies and please bear with me.

:)

Yep, guilty.

DavePage

So here’s thanks to Guinness Boy and my attempt at reviewing
Forword, There were 2 CD’s one named the Chicken and the other, the egg. further explanation and pictures later:Album review the chicken
1. Bozos -
Reminds me of living on OSR in Southwick opposite the Rajah with a bit of Cockney Rebel violin thrown in for good measure.

2. I got the blues - Labi Siffre
Very much in the TSOP style with a funky guitar

3. One step forward - Max Romeo
First bit of reggae, remember being into Big Youth back in the day

4. Under the sleng teng - Wayne Smith
More reggae, feels like I'm reliving my youth, listening to John Peel late night and discovering a new band and going out the next payday and buying the most obscure of albums.

5. Only love can break your heart - St. Etienne
St. Etienne, Labi Siffre and the Selector are the three artistes that I recognize on this CD, enjoying it all so far, lots of spliff overtones in the last few tracks. Could imagine sitting outside a Parisian cafe chilling to this.

6. Blue eyes - Skream
Working gently towards a little ska, heads going like a nodding dog to the music, conscious of other train passengers watching me now, lol

7. The contender - Lack of Afro
This reminds me so much of cinema advertisement music, not so much Pearl & Dean, love it

8. Celebrate the bullet - The Selector
I hear Hazel O'conner, but know it's pauline black love 2 tone

9. Triptico - The Goltan Project
Another instrumental with the Parisian overtones

10. Palace (foals mix) - Wild Beasts
Shame to spoil a good tune with this title and the bands from Leeds, not their fault I guess.

11. The whole church should get drunk - The feelgood factor
Amen to that

12. Air Raid (original mix) - Levon Vincent
More upto date with a bit of techno/house? Boys getting pissed off with my head nodding by now. Always fancied a bit of Ibiza, sadly the kids don't have the balls to take an old fart with them

13. Strawberry Swing - Solo
Takes me back to nights in Jenkinsons with Rory

14. Evil Nine - Help (skit)
Yes it was good, review one complete with twenty minutes to go before arriving at Toronto, cya on the home journey

DavePage

The Egg review
1. When Frank became an orb - Fossil Collective
Nice start, can't describe most of the tracks on this CD so will give a John Peel (Jp) make to tracks I would most likely follow up to hear more. Deffo Jp nice and mellow acoustic number

2. Caught in the Briars - Iron and Wine
Reminded me of a Van Morrison tune, but with lighter vocal tones, a jazzy outdo Jp

3. Wolves - Phophorescent
McGuinness flint mandolin start, aargh reminds me someone vocally but can't nail it. Good tho Jp

4. 17 - Youth Lagoon
Interesting American artiste Jp

5. Marz - John Grant
Nice, thought it was going to be Steven by Alice Cooper at the get go, bits of early moody blues there, nice base line Jp

6. Tonight the streets are ours - Richard Hawley
Mike Flowers pop, sorry but I do like it Jp

7. Dry the rain - The Beta Band
Another acoustic, apparently Scottish band, the least grabbing track so far, but still ok

8. Letter of intent - Ducktails
A lot of American artistes on this CD, nice tune possible Jp

9. Trains to Brazil (acoustic) - Guillemots
Not grabbed but happy to listen to more Jp

10. So good at being in trouble - Unknown mortal orchestra
Thinking northern soul (American again) ok

11. Take the skinheads bowling - Camper Van Beethoven
Reminded me of jilted john another American offering, good band name, can see them playing that on prom night

12. Are you ready - Crispy Ambulance
Sounded good for a live recording, start of a run of Manchester bands

13. Big - new fast automatic daffodils
Best of the Manc so far Jp

14. Freeze frame - 23 Skidoo
Not British bias, but I enjoyed this, most off the latter tracks post punk/indie (sorry best I can do) jp

15. Won't stop loving you (Norman Cook remix) - A certain ratio
Nothing wrong a N C remix

Back home in Woodstock now, long day more tomorrow

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
Jul 23, 2003
Cheers [MENTION=15464]DavePage[/MENTION] !

Glad you liked most of it at least after a few listens. Good guessing too - I must remember not to drop hints at Christmas. Wonder if [MENTION=12196]tinycowboy[/MENTION] would have guessed?

Oh, and Bozos is by Amadou and Miriam straight outta Mail.

Last edited:

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Cheers [MENTION=15464]DavePage[/MENTION] !

Glad you liked most of it at least after a few listens. Good guessing too - I must remember not to drop hints at Christmas. Wonder if [MENTION=12196]tinycowboy[/MENTION] would have guessed?

I'd have probably had a punt - hard to say after the event who I would have said though. I'm sure you'd have been on the shortlist though - I think eclectic mixes are the way forward for these CDs, like a lucky dip.

DavePage

Cheers @DavePage !

Glad you liked most of it at least after a few listens. Good guessing too - I must remember not to drop hints at Christmas. Wonder if @tinycowboy would have guessed?

My mistake missing the first artiste, didn’t dislike any of the sounds, would happily play either of the CD’s anytime, thanks for a good job. All I need now is my sent one to arrive, just know it’s going to be an anti climax when it does lol

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I have a CD! In fact, TWO CDs :clap2: :clap2:

Arrived yesterday, just as I was setting off on a very tedious journey up and down the M3, so beautifully timed. My bunny has included a note identifying himself, so the floor is immediately open to guesses from you all.

The CDs are entertaining, although (maybe because) they are full of stuff that I would never normally seek out to listen to.

They are, in various parts, like;

1. A nostalgic trip though my parent's late 70's collection of bootleg tapes, that we'd play in the orange Toyota Corrola.
2. A local soft-(Dad)rock radio station
3. The soundtrack to an as-yet unmade Tarantino movie.

Especially 3.

Tracklist / comments to follow...

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Once HKFC has reviewed I'll tie everything up and reveal all. Apologies for not doing so earlier but I've had Ofsted threatening to come in since May (they finally turned up a fortnight ago) which meant my thoughts were directed elsewhere.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
CD1

1. William Tell Overture, Rossini
Instrumental intro. William Tell, You know it already

2. Feeling Good, Nina Simone
Birds flying high, I know how they feel.. Lovely stuff. Can't beat a bit of Nina. Cast iron classic.

3. New Born, Muse
Muse are everything in a band I should dislike - the music and production is unfailingly overblown, and Matt Bellamy can't sing a line without taking a huge audible gasp for air, which is a bit annoying. But I actually quite like them, if I'm in the right mood.

4. Behind Blue Eyes, Limp Bizkit
Hate, hate, hate this. Overly-earnest soft-rock for MTV generation teenagers. Trying SO hard. No need to SHOUT mate. Not a fan.

5. China Doll, Julian Cope
By magic, a nice example for Mr Bizkit that you can impart feeling into a song without SHOUTING.

6. Take Me Back Home, Soulsavers
I don't know this, and it was annoying me like mad trying to work out who it was. Properly kicking myself when I read it. The vocals are Dave Gahan, and accordingly this sounds like a DM album filler. Decent, but not memorable. Could do without the Crash Test Dummies-esque mmmmm-mmmm-mm, too.

7. Hey Ya!, Outkast
I would never, ever, ever seek this out to listen to...but on a fabulously sunny day, driving up the motorway, it had an unexpected sing-along charm. An unexpected plus.

8. When Something Is Wrong With My Baby, Sam and Dave
Surprisingly not a karoake offering from Mr and Mrs Cameron, but in fact a bona fide 1967 soul classic on Stax, from Sam (Moore) and Dave (Prater). A thoroughly welcome inclusion.

9. Ready or Not, Fugees
See 7.

10.The Storm, Big Country
Big Country! Whatever happened to Big Country!? I loved this stuff when I was about 14, and wore checked shirts, and that. It sounds good - way less dated then I thought it would, when I saw the track on the list. I reckon todays hipsters would like the folksy bits. RIP Stuart Adamson.

11.Tumbling Down, Cockney Rebel
Meh.

12.New York Minute, Don Henley
Not for me, Clive.

13.Willow, Joan Armatrading
More like it. My folks definietly had a bit of Joan in the collection. Like this.

14.Caught by the River, Doves
I quite like Embrace. Sorry, Doves. Same thing - low tempo alt-rock, nicely crafted, but ultimately forgettable.

15.I'm an Albatraoz, ArunChupa
This is terrible, but I liked it! Ignoring the 'singing' and the lyrics, such as they are, it basically just a BEAT. Having looked up the wiki entry, I can inform you all that Arun's real name is Aron Ekberg, and he is a Swedish fourth division footballer, who formed a hiphop band with his team-mates and got signed to Sony Records. This is his first solo recording (its electronic rather than hiphop) - his sister Nora provides the vocals. Further research reveals that Nora is quite cute, and that is, after all, the important thing.

Cheers Mr Bunny

CD2 review tomorrow :thumbsup:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Track 15 (above) is properly STUCK in my head. Doop doop doopy doop, doopy doopy doopy doop.

Make it STOP!

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
01. Pseudo Silk Kimono, Marillion
Marillion! Not a big fan.

02. Red Right Hand, Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
Am a big fan. One of only 2 tracks on this CD I own. Suitably dark and brooding.

03. '39, Queen
I don't really like Queen very much. This sounds nothing like Queen, which is a good thing. Not THAT good though!

04. Ruder Than You, The Bodysnatchers
Yay! Always room for a bit of Ska. Decent.

05. Chew Tobacco Rag, Billy Briggs
This is the track I most had in mind when I made the Tarantino comment. I'd like it roughly 500 x better if it didn't have loads of rythmic pretend spitting throughout it. Its a hillbilly ode to chewing tobacco. And why not?

06. 5.15, The Who
I understand that The Who were a MASSIVELY influential band, and why they are so important. Not really for me though. I guess this track is most well known for the unfortunate (for Pete) opening lyric of "Girls of 15, sexually knowing".

07.Hurricane, 30 seconds to Mars
See 'CD1, Limp Bizkit'. I'd imagine that the two tracks sit alongside each other on a compilation CD somewhere - "MTV Overly-earnest try-hard US kids' rock". The kind of song written, to be sung by a million wannabees at their X-factor auditions.

08.Ghost Riders In The Sky, Burl Ives
Love this. Another one for Tarantino- this time for his next dabble with Westerns. Its a bit like the theme to Rawhide. This is a good thing.

09. We've Got Tonight, Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band
This is a right rollercoaster, CD2. Up, and indeed down. Wiki lists 'associated artists', as The Eagles and Glen Frey. Enough said.

10. My Funny Valentine, Elvis Costello
My other half is a big fan of Mr McManus, so know and like this one.

11. That's Amore, Dean Martin
"When the ball hits the goal..."

12. Sixty Minute Man, Billy Ward and the Dominoes
Terrific record - 50's blues /rock. Apparently, 'a contender for the title of first ever rock and roll record'.

13. Seagulls, Ted Young
Ha ha. I remember this. Shocking Albion 7" from the early 80s! Kind of Chas (no Dave) in style. "Places to go, Teams to beat, Look at our football, ain't it neat?" Class.

14.Nothing Else Matters, Metallica
Surprisingly restrained and tuneful rock classic from thrash metal exponents. A band I would never normally listen to. Its good to be made to broaden your listening.

15. Closing Titles Robinson Crusoe, Robert Mellin and Gian Rieri Reverberi
Its the music from Robinson Crusoe, obviously.

That's it. Much appreciated!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
Jul 23, 2003
Track 15 (above) is properly STUCK in my head. Doop doop doopy doop, doopy doopy doopy doop.

Make it STOP!

Naughty words aside my kids would go MENTAL for that. I sincerely hope there isn't a clean version as I'm still struggling to get Gangnam Style out of my head after all these years. I reckon your sender was [MENTION=15464]DavePage[/MENTION]

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
01. Pseudo Silk Kimono, Marillion
Marillion! Not a big fan.

Huddled in the safety of a pseudo silk kimono
A morning mare rides, in the starless shutters of my eyes

This lyric is stored in a corner of my mind somewhere and springs to life every time the theme of terrible lyrics is broached. Together with:

I don't want to see a ghost
It's the sight that I fear most
I'd rather have a piece of toast
Watch the evening news

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Naughty words aside my kids would go MENTAL for that. I sincerely hope there isn't a clean version as I'm still struggling to get Gangnam Style out of my head after all these years. I reckon your sender was [MENTION=15464]DavePage[/MENTION]

It was indeed [MENTION=15464]DavePage[/MENTION]

That track was #1 in Sweden and Denmark, and top 10 in numerous other crazee European countries.

Doop, doop, doopy...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here