Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NSC Easter Bunny CD 2015

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
I'll do a bit of chasing up over the weekend. There is currently one person I've had no contact with whilst a CD has disappeared in the post from Canada with a replacement sent out yesterday, so that may take some time.

Received, reviewed, guessed correctly
Theatre of Trees (Staly)
[MENTION=2040]Staly[/MENTION] (Spring Hall Convert)

Received, reviewed, not yet guessed or acknowledged
[MENTION=13836]deletebeepbeepbeep[/MENTION]
[MENTION=17286]Gordon Bennett[/MENTION]
[MENTION=26695]Mowgli37[/MENTION]
[MENTION=14921]spring hall convert[/MENTION]

Received but yet to review
[MENTION=21578]Worthingite[/MENTION]
[MENTION=2351]m20gull[/MENTION]
[MENTION=15464]DavePage[/MENTION]
[MENTION=12196]tinycowboy[/MENTION]

Status unknown - yet to receive
[MENTION=3566]hans kraay fan club[/MENTION] - I have been informed that this has been posted
[MENTION=19671]CorgiRegisteredFriend[/MENTION]
[MENTION=13947]happypig[/MENTION]
[MENTION=19864]Flex Your Head[/MENTION] - I have been informed that this has been posted
[MENTION=1131]Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo[/MENTION] - I have been informed that this has been posted
[MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION]
[MENTION=468]somerset[/MENTION]

If you've posted or received either mention on this thread or drop me a PM.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Drat, looks like I'll need to take a closer look at some track listings from previous instalments.

I also reckon yours was from [MENTION=12196]tinycowboy[/MENTION]

No idea who spring hall convert's was from but can I borrow it some time? It looks a banger.

Nothing received here. I'd settle for a Hit Factory retrospective at this point. At least the review would be amusing.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Been a bit stressful here and PC is under a dust sheet while room is being painted. But today I am curled up with an iPad and more than halfway through typing the review. Expect something from me today. As I did not know many of the artists and the music styles are not well represented in my collection I have tried to give them several listens, and with 42 songs over 2 CDs that has been no small task.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
PM me your address and I'll send it on if you like. It was really good, I must say.

EDIT: Have I just been a bit thick there and you were subtely hinting that you were my sender?

No, not me. I do love a bit of dub and reggae though.

No, I was joking in a grumpy "I've not received one yet and yours looked great" kind of way. The thing I like about these CDs is that they are unique (I still play [MENTION=13836]deletebeepbeepbeep[/MENTION] 's from Xmas and people still ask about it) so you keep yours but thanks for the very kind offer. However, I think what I will do is see how many of those tracks I can preview using my Sonos and various digital subscriptions, then treat myself to CDs of my favourites to give the artists their dues.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
No, not me. I do love a bit of dub and reggae though.

No, I was joking in a grumpy "I've not received one yet and yours looked great" kind of way. The thing I like about these CDs is that they are unique (I still play [MENTION=20940]del[/MENTION]etebeepbeep 's from Xmas and people still ask about it) so you keep yours but thanks for the very kind offer. However, I think what I will do is see how many of those tracks I can preview using my Sonos and various digital subscriptions, then treat myself to CDs of my favourites to give the artists their dues.

I''ll upload it to mixcloud over the weekend and put the link up here.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
So here it is. While I have some of the bands they tend to be on compilations, like Kerrangg and NME giveaways, which reflects that little of this is in my normal sphere of listening. As promised I did listen to it several times and would happily listen again and again, without probably rushing out to add too much, maybe the Habib Koite.

1 The Lemonheads - Fragile. gentle opener, a recent cover from the reformed band. acoustic guitar unaccompanied and a bit folksy
2 +44 - Baby Come on. Along with next two tracks what passes for punk nowadays (giving away my age as some of this is nearly 20 years old!). I had not heard of the band but the Blink-182 influence is unmistakeable
3 Snuff - Nick Motown. Horns suggest a ska influence which is backed up in a middle break. Lively and foot-tapping.
4 Nerf Herder - Pantera Fans in Love. An evidently California punk band with a nice poppy overtone.
5 Bright Ideas - Cut My Hair. Very listenable pacey pop-garage with surf style guitars. Light-hearted fun.
6 Withered Hand - Religious Songs. Acoustic indie, summer festival music for an afternoon slot in a side stage
7 Twinkle - Golden Lights. Great '60s feel to this. Shame she had such a short career.
8 Middle of the Road - Soley Soley. Very sing-a-long. I had trouble placing it in time until I eventually recognised the name of the band. Easy to imagine this as a Eurovision entry, no slight intended.
9 Augustus Pablo - Pablo in Dub. Dub, does what it's says on the tin. Needs sunshine and rum punch. Thanks to Wikipedia I now know what a Melodica is.
10 Sly & Robbie - Roots Man Dub. More dub.
11 Butthole Surfers - Pepper. More "punk". This time laid back with mostly spoken vocals. Slightly psych overtones too - think Pink Floyd's More soundtrack.
12 Bentley Rhythm Ace - Bentley's going to Sort You Out. One from our very own Skint! Big Beat at its best, but chilled.
13 Arab Strap - The First Big Weekend. Spoken indie with a Scottish accent, about drinking. And football.
14 Speedwell - Calling on Columbia Pike. Sort of new wave new punk. Upbeat and infectious.
15 A Radio With Guts - Blue Grey Smoke. More U.S. punk but edgier than previous offerings here.
16 Scream - Came without Warning. Short, intense Hardcore but you can understand what they are singing.
17 Snot - Dead Fall. Classic u.s. Hardcore with a bluegrass twist and thrashy tendency.
18 Screaming Trees - Dollar Bill. Grungy, slow and heartfelt with lots of guitar. Nirvana with a smile.
19 Taken By Trees - Too Young. Very sparse from the singer responsible for the gorgeous cover of Sweet Child of Mine. Pretty tinkling piano as the backing.
20 Stina Nordenstam - Little Star. Nordic breathless vocals over sparse musical backing before jazz influence kicks in.
21 Malcolm Middleton - Rotten Heart. Wiki tells me this is part of Arab Strap (track 13) so no surprise this is folky Scottish indie.
22 Loney, Dear - I Am John. Acoustic indie with a bit of bounce.
23 Fishboy - Can't Fade Away. Pop indie, quirky and interesting.
24 The Moldy Peaches - Anyone Else But You. Duet in the mould of Islands in the Stream but indie. All acoustic guitars, what on earth is "Anti-folk"?
25 Habib Koite & Bamada - I Ka Barra. Off to West Africa, bright and infectious with a smart spoken word mid-section.
26 Oneida - Jazz is the Teacher, Funk is the Preacher. Flows nicely from the previous track and you could be fooled into thinking this is an electric African offering, but actually from the USA. African rhythms and simple lyrics (essentially the title repeated) not dance, not rock, not funk or jazz. My favourite.
27 Dub Narcotic Sound System - Selector Sub Narcotic pt 2. Not dub at all. Funky and slowish with a drawling vocal.
28 The Fish Police - Coco Butter. Electronic paean to the staple of skin care. Odd, music sounds like it has been lifted from a Mega Drive game (think Sonic). Impossible to pigeon hole. Not sure I have heard "moisturise" quite so often in a chorus, if at all!
29 Money Can't Buy Music - We Will Asphyxiate. Orb style electronic with spoken word and, picking up earlier themes, Scottish and Nordic voices. Useful aide memoire for Kepler's laws.
30 Jens Lekman - Black Cab. Simple yet much more than the sum of its parts. Intelligent lyrics and gentle tune.
31 Sugar - If I Can't Change Your Mind. Not quite new punk, not quite indie but the acoustic guitars hint that way. This is from NME's album of the year for 1992 (more wiki) which seems about right.
32 Gang Green - Snob. 29 seconds of Hardcore.
33 Box Car Racer - Cat Like Thief. More Blink-182 but subtler.
34 Transplants - Sad But True. More Blink-182 influence but this time punkier. Slow, polished Hardcore. Could do with speeding up for me.
35 Leatherface - Not Superstitious. British punk with an adorable grunge sound in the guitars.
36 Split Enz - Matinee Idyll. Mid 70s popped-up folk with a prog note, sort of Genesis-lite. Enjoyable.
37 Elvis Costello - I Want You. Slow thoughtful typical Costello, beautifully assembled.
38 Dog Legs - Toot Toot Hey! Pop-punk, think the Donnas.
39 Stiff Little Fingers - Silver Lining. An optimistic version of the SLF. Where is the anger?
40 Social Distortion - Ring of Fire. Hooray! A punk cover of the new terrace anthem. Get those scarves twirling!
41 The 'Tone - Turn It Up. Punk with a huge guitar sound, straight off of MTV.
42 Lee Ranaldo - Fragile. Speedier version of track 1.

So who is it? 90s punk suggests someone around 40 who has mellowed a bit, prone to Belle & Sebastian. I will think about it and come back.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Well, that's 2 candidates for my CD out of the running!

I still don't know who my bunny was. Review ^

You were right the first time - it was me. Sorry for the delay - just back from holiday. I can address your review points, when I have a moment. Thanks for the detailed review, always makes it worthwhile when the recipient makes the effort! Cheers....

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It's possible I owe my sender an apology. I said I'd not received it, but I've been out of the country all this last week, so it's POSSIBLE it's waiting on my desk at work.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here