[MENTION=14921]spring hall convert[/MENTION]
[MENTION=13836]deletebeepbeepbeep[/MENTION]
[MENTION=21578]Worthingite[/MENTION]
Theatre of Trees

Status unknown - yet to receive
[MENTION=12196]tinycowboy[/MENTION]
[MENTION=3566]hans kraay fan club[/MENTION]
[MENTION=17286]Gordon Bennett[/MENTION]
[MENTION=15464]DavePage[/MENTION] - I have been informed that this has been posted
[MENTION=19671]CorgiRegisteredFriend[/MENTION]
[MENTION=13947]happypig[/MENTION]
[MENTION=19864]Flex Your Head[/MENTION]
[MENTION=1131]Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo[/MENTION]
[MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION]
[MENTION=468]somerset[/MENTION]
[MENTION=2351]m20gull[/MENTION]

If you've posted or received either mention on this thread or drop me a PM

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Weekly update time

Received, reviewed, not yet guessed or acknowledged
[MENTION=2040]Staly[/MENTION]. :thumbsup:

Received but yet to review
[MENTION=17286]Gordon Bennett[/MENTION] :nono:
[MENTION=26695]Mowgli37[/MENTION] :nono:
[MENTION=14921]spring hall convert[/MENTION] :nono:
[MENTION=13836]deletebeepbeepbeep[/MENTION] :nono:
[MENTION=21578]Worthingite[/MENTION] :nono:
Theatre of Trees :nono:

[MENTION=12196]tinycowboy[/MENTION] :shrug:
[MENTION=3566]hans kraay fan club[/MENTION] :shrug:
[MENTION=17286]Gordon Bennett[/MENTION] :shrug:
[MENTION=15464]DavePage[/MENTION] - I have been informed that this has been posted :shrug:
[MENTION=19671]CorgiRegisteredFriend[/MENTION] :shrug:
[MENTION=13947]happypig[/MENTION] :shrug:
[MENTION=19864]Flex Your Head[/MENTION] :shrug:
[MENTION=1131]Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo[/MENTION] :shrug:
[MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] :shrug:
[MENTION=468]somerset[/MENTION] :shrug:
[MENTION=2351]m20gull[/MENTION] :shrug:

If you've posted or received either mention on this thread or drop me a PM

:bounce:

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
As promised, CD art - the Easter bunny must know I'm a huge fan of Hughton!!

TEkxDmKl.jpg

The CD subtitle says hot hits and hot hits the CD delivers, it is fair to say that there is a right mix of music across this CD from operatic pop music to punjabi music to hip hop to indie pop electro, a veritable smorgasbord of hits.

Track 1. Get the Party Started - Shirley Bassey

Apparently this is a cover of the Pink song and the Pink song is not a cover of a Shirley Bassey song as I had firstly presumed. This somehow accomplishes the goal being more pop kitsch than the original. It's quite fun but not really my thing, in fact it's the type of thing I'd be mildly embarrassed about someone finding on my iPod (sorry).

Track 2. Lok Boliyan - Anakhi

And now we move inexplicably to the Punjabi/Bhangra part of the CD, although I strongly doubt the veracity of the statement of this being a hot hit. I can't work out if this samples Brimful of Asher or if Brimful Asher sampled this song- from what I can tell these genuine punjabi artist sampled Corner Shop for their bhangra song!! I like it, it is catchy but ultimately makes me want to listen to Corner Shop.

Track 3. We Made You - Eminem

I wonder if samples might be a theme here because I assume this song heavily makes use of samples, I like Eminem but this falls broadly into the area of his career where he 'fell off'.

Track 4. Birth in Reverse- St Vincent

I didn't like this album overall but this is my favourite track on the album, staccato guitars bending bass catchy catchy and features a lyric which perfectly describes my day "Oh, what an ordinary day Take out the garbage, **********". Edgy. Apparently this song is about death.

Track 5. It's no Game - David Bowie

I will be strung up for saying that I've not listened to David Bowie other that what you would expect to come across on the radio, it is a very very angry song ended by Bowie shouting SHUT UP. It's no game certainly described my feelings about our season anyway.

Track 6. The Power of Pursuasion - ABC

This is very very cheesy pop rock and totally not my thing. I also strongly doubt that this was ever a hit, the Easter Bunny is a liar- I expected hits, hits and hits.

Track 7. Vlad the Impaler - Kasabian

I don't like a lot of Kasabian but I really like this track, dark pulsating slightly threatening - it is very cool. This actually makes me want to dig a bit further and see if their other tracks grow on me. I met Kasabian once as my Sister dates a member of a lesser known indie band who supported Kasabian on a small UK tour. My claim to fame.

Track 8. Can't Rely on You - Palorma Faith

Okay, now we are strongly back in hit territory with that ABC nonsense firmly in the background, my mum recently introduced me to Palorma Faith which might say something about the OP. :p In all seriousness, this is pop r&b done very very well.

Track 9 I love You - Woodkid

I don't know what to think of this, it is quite a brooding song about unrequited love with a synthy string back drop with some really really nice vocals, I really like the singing bits just not the rapping section at all - and I say that as someone who loves hip hop.

Track 10. Tangled Up - Caro Emerald

More high production R&B pop done very well.

Track 11. Horse to Water - Jools Holland & George Harrison

A somehow joyous blues song considering the subject matter shortly before George Harrison's death. Tom Petty would do an amazing job on this song, or is that sacrilage - I'm criticising Jools Holland rather than George Harrison who should have recorded the song with Tom Petty rather than Jools.

Track 12. Wind Cries Mary - Jamie Cullum

A swing cover of a Jimi Hendrix song by Jamie Callum - I'm not sure that I like this at all.

Track 13. Son of a Preacher Man - Dusty Springifield

I'm not sure what I can say about this song other than it is one of the only tracks I've heard previously and it is most definitely in HIT land.

Track 14. Becoming a Jackel - Villagers

A folky singer songwriter with quivery staccato voice track, I find this all a bit maudlin and dirgy and stand in stark contrast to the tracks that have preceded it. It's just a bit middle of the road and has been done far better by a number of other bands.

Track 15. The Good Life - Jace Everett

Eugh, this last two tracks make me want to go back and listed to noisy guitars, last track was some dirgy folk now it is schmoozey slightly sleazy sounding country, sorry!

Track 16. Harvest Home - Mark Lanegan Band

And like that we have some jangly spiralling guitars, a bit more like it but definitely not a HIT.

Track 17. Armageddon Days Are Here Again - The The

This is a dark synth rock song with an anti religious sentiment challenging the various deities to party. Despite the subject matter it is a pretty catchy song and quite poppy and 'danceable' despite having a dark sound.

Overall other than St Vincent, this is a CD of songs that I would never normally listen to and it has been a fun diversion from listening to rawkus indie music and electro. In particular I enjoyed the Kasabian, Woodkid, The The and Caro Emerald songs and will add them to Spotify.

Thanks for the CD!

Favourite Song: It's no Game - David Bowie

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Still waiting for my CD - if I get it before this time next week, I can take it to Cumbria with me and play it in the car. Lots of times. Maybe.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Several people yet to receive and several recipients yet to review; this has become a bit of a flop hasn't it ?
I doubt I'll bother again...

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Several people yet to receive and several recipients yet to review; this has become a bit of a flop hasn't it ?
I doubt I'll bother again...

I've been one of the lucky ones, previously - recieved a good CD, and had my efforts reviewed positively each time.

Now I know what its been like for the less fortunate. Nothing recieved, and no acknowledgement of the one I sent. I hope the chap enjoyed it, even if he can't be arsed to tell us.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
I agree this has been a bit slow off of the mark. I have now received mine but listening and reviewing may take some time as there are a monumental 42 tracks to review! Luckily I have been assigned a decorating job this weekend which should give me a huge window. From the track listing I am looking forward to it.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Third time lucky for me, received nothing for the previous two CD swaps, so now breaking my review duck. Naturally, as organiser I know who sent me this, so I'll let the rest of you try to guess who the Bunny is.

Cover art
IMG_0290.jpg

Review
1.The Band in Heaven - Dandelion Wine
Dreamy indie pop with a nice little riff which forms the backbone of the song. The verses alternates with boy/girl vocal and celebrates the timelessness of youth from the perspective of those now getting older and moving further away from that point. Pleasant but not something I would seek out.
2. The Declining Winter - World Wide Ruin
Strumming guitars and soft vocals mean that no matter how many times I play this song, I cannot recall anything about it after. Dull is probably the best word to describe my feelings about it.
3. The New Lines - A Short Film About Johann Strauss II
A group I know having listened to their ‘Fall in Line’ long player last year and one of those groups I felt at the time were bit too clever for their own good. This song which I hadn’t heard before doesn’t change that opinion whilst giving the impression that it would have felt far more at home being aired on a John Peel show circa 1982.
4. Knickers - Candy
Another band I already knew having really liked their only previous release, 2012 single, My Baby’s (Just a Baby), see [yt]yMDNuH9zBPM[/yt].
I really liked this too, is it something new as they seem to have been on hiatus since their single release, and searching Knickers - Candy in Google takes you down some, er, interesting avenues. Very retro pop but with a distinct identity of their own.
5. Varsity - c.2002
More indie pop this time with a female vocal which I find really irritating for some reason. It breezes by but makes little impression otherwise.
6. The Unthanks - Mount the Air
Some folk with more than a hint of jazz within the structure that includes a rather luscious arrangement of strings and brass that seems to meander forever threatening to stop at various points along the way before completing its journey a little over 10 minutes later. The musical equivalent of a chocolate marshmallow.
7. Sonotanotanpenz - Title unknown
Two Japanese ladies strum a couple of acoustic guitars and sing softly and hesitantly in Japanese about something or other, perhaps lost or disappointed love or maybe ritual disembowelment, occasionally harmonising along the way. Pretty but insubstantial.
8. The Leaf Library - Walking backwards
Lo-fi indie with a backbeat driven by bass, percussion and keyboard with the guitar well down in the mix which is a rarity on this CD. The vocals dreamily drift along with the arrangement and reminded me of Saloon, which isn’t surprising having discovered the group was formed by an ex-member (male). I liked this one.
9. Prince Jammy - Weeping Willow
Dub reggae instrumental that languidly meanders rather repetitively through the course of its four minutes and ten seconds. Not a fan of dub reggae but in the context of the CD this nicely breaks up the relentless onslaught of indiedom.
10. Dog Legs - Holiday
Noisy guitar pop ahoy with lashings of guitars, woo-hoos and 1-2-3s all harmonised in that off key way that has been so prevalent in American female indie rock over the last 20 years or so. I really would have liked this during the 1990s.
11. Mercury Girls - Golden (Demo)
More female indiepop with the voice half buried in the mix, though not as far down as the just about discernible male backing vocal. Nothing here stands out enough to make an impression.
12. Nice Legs - Two
Tagged on their bandcamp page as fuzz pop, lo fi, c86, descriptions that usually make me run a mile, but this is very nice, particularly the backing vocals on the chorus which are the complete antithesis to tight harmonising sounding like they roped in anybody they could find to provide them irrespective to whether they could sing in tune or not. After the first listen of the CD it was the chorus to this song that persistently floated around my head.
13. Salad Boys - Dream Date
More indie featuring my biggest bugbear, the weak male vocal, which is buried so far under the guitar riff and percussion that you can barely make out the lyrics
14. Whatever Forever - Miserable People
Coming in at one minute thirty five seconds and one of the shortest tracks on the CD. Female fronted American indiepop that could have been released in the 1990s but is fairly recent.
15. Westkust - Weekend
Some shoegazey indie from Sweden which is pleasant but undiverting.
16. Candi Staton - Beware, She’s After Your Man
Bass - check; organ - check; funky guitar riff - check; horns - check; we are indeed in funk territory. As I’m not too familiar with Ms Staton’s discography the first thought that came across is what classic album does this one come from, however, 30 seconds in she proclaims we are all living in the digital age. Doubting that Candi was technologically prescient in the age of analogue a little investigation discovers that this was released in 2014. What we get here is a lesson on how to retain your original sound yet somehow sound contemporary at the same time. Staton also uses her age to good effect, with her proffering motherly advice to a younger audience yet in places sounding as if she knows the advice won’t be followed and they’ll discover the hard way like she did.
17. Brain F - Lie About Diet
Hurrah, it’s 1977 again, frenetic guitars, off key female vocals that can’t be made out, and all completed after one minute and three seconds. The musical equivalent of standing by the side of the road and watching the Tour de France peloton go speeding by.
18. The Love Triangle - Do you Think that you’ve Found Love?
Still in late 1970s new wave territory, for some reason this reminded me of Eddie & the Hot Rods
19. The Morons - Motorbike
The third of the late 1970s-like trilogy, even their name harks back to that period. The intro has that descending guitar scale thing the Cramps used to do before heading off down the road at a hundred miles an hour, through traffic lights, shouting f..k you, and telling everybody you’re born to die - which they will if they keep going through red lights.
20. Cinerama - I Wake up Screaming
Always preferred Cinerama Gedge to Wedding Present Gedge, the former more thoughtful and less frenetic than the latter, and this one is no exception. Here young Gedgie goes to bed dreaming his partner is cheating on him, why is she taking the iPhone into the bathroom? Not to play Angry Birds whilst curling one out, no she’s texting another man. On waking up he discovers his nightmare has become a reality, condemning her cowardice in carrying out the betrayal. Though you feel the reality has yet to sink in.
21. Goblin - Suspiria
The nightmares continue with this piece of prog rock from 1977, the soundtrack to Dario Argentio’s supernatural thriller of the same name. What we have thrown into the mixer is what sounds like the tune a music box plays, some reverberating ‘POOMs’, warning sirens at each segment breakdown, some flourishing Rick Wakeman like keyboards, and a vocal that hovers in the background and can be best described as rasping though lyrically all that can be heard are some ‘la la las’ and the word ‘Witch’ spat out at various intervals. Not been voted the best horror soundtrack for nothing, demented and brilliant.

Favourite is Knickers followed by Nice Legs a close second (A statement which would have hordes of Millie Tants trying to emasculate me).

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Weekly update time

Received, reviewed, not yet guessed or acknowledged
[MENTION=2040]Staly[/MENTION]
[MENTION=13836]deletebeepbeepbeep[/MENTION]
Theatre of Trees

Received but yet to review
[MENTION=17286]Gordon Bennett[/MENTION]
[MENTION=26695]Mowgli37[/MENTION]
[MENTION=14921]spring hall convert[/MENTION]
[MENTION=21578]Worthingite[/MENTION]
[MENTION=2351]m20gull[/MENTION]

[MENTION=12196]tinycowboy[/MENTION] - I have been informed that this has been posted
[MENTION=3566]hans kraay fan club[/MENTION]
[MENTION=15464]DavePage[/MENTION] - I have been informed that this has been posted
[MENTION=19671]CorgiRegisteredFriend[/MENTION]
[MENTION=13947]happypig[/MENTION]
[MENTION=19864]Flex Your Head[/MENTION]
[MENTION=1131]Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo[/MENTION]
[MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION]
[MENTION=468]somerset[/MENTION]

If you've posted or received either mention on this thread or drop me a PM.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Third time lucky for me, received nothing for the previous two CD swaps, so now breaking my review duck. Naturally, as organiser I know who sent me this, so I'll let the rest of you try to guess who the Bunny is.

Cover art
View attachment 65381

Review
1.The Band in Heaven - Dandelion Wine
Dreamy indie pop with a nice little riff which forms the backbone of the song. The verses alternates with boy/girl vocal and celebrates the timelessness of youth from the perspective of those now getting older and moving further away from that point. Pleasant but not something I would seek out.
2. The Declining Winter - World Wide Ruin
Strumming guitars and soft vocals mean that no matter how many times I play this song, I cannot recall anything about it after. Dull is probably the best word to describe my feelings about it.
3. The New Lines - A Short Film About Johann Strauss II
A group I know having listened to their ‘Fall in Line’ long player last year and one of those groups I felt at the time were bit too clever for their own good. This song which I hadn’t heard before doesn’t change that opinion whilst giving the impression that it would have felt far more at home being aired on a John Peel show circa 1982.
4. Knickers - Candy
Another band I already knew having really liked their only previous release, 2012 single, My Baby’s (Just a Baby), see [yt]yMDNuH9zBPM[/yt].
I really liked this too, is it something new as they seem to have been on hiatus since their single release, and searching Knickers - Candy in Google takes you down some, er, interesting avenues. Very retro pop but with a distinct identity of their own.
5. Varsity - c.2002
More indie pop this time with a female vocal which I find really irritating for some reason. It breezes by but makes little impression otherwise.
6. The Unthanks - Mount the Air
Some folk with more than a hint of jazz within the structure that includes a rather luscious arrangement of strings and brass that seems to meander forever threatening to stop at various points along the way before completing its journey a little over 10 minutes later. The musical equivalent of a chocolate marshmallow.
7. Sonotanotanpenz - Title unknown
Two Japanese ladies strum a couple of acoustic guitars and sing softly and hesitantly in Japanese about something or other, perhaps lost or disappointed love or maybe ritual disembowelment, occasionally harmonising along the way. Pretty but insubstantial.
8. The Leaf Library - Walking backwards
Lo-fi indie with a backbeat driven by bass, percussion and keyboard with the guitar well down in the mix which is a rarity on this CD. The vocals dreamily drift along with the arrangement and reminded me of Saloon, which isn’t surprising having discovered the group was formed by an ex-member (male). I liked this one.
9. Prince Jammy - Weeping Willow
Dub reggae instrumental that languidly meanders rather repetitively through the course of its four minutes and ten seconds. Not a fan of dub reggae but in the context of the CD this nicely breaks up the relentless onslaught of indiedom.
10. Dog Legs - Holiday
Noisy guitar pop ahoy with lashings of guitars, woo-hoos and 1-2-3s all harmonised in that off key way that has been so prevalent in American female indie rock over the last 20 years or so. I really would have liked this during the 1990s.
11. Mercury Girls - Golden (Demo)
More female indiepop with the voice half buried in the mix, though not as far down as the just about discernible male backing vocal. Nothing here stands out enough to make an impression.
12. Nice Legs - Two
Tagged on their bandcamp page as fuzz pop, lo fi, c86, descriptions that usually make me run a mile, but this is very nice, particularly the backing vocals on the chorus which are the complete antithesis to tight harmonising sounding like they roped in anybody they could find to provide them irrespective to whether they could sing in tune or not. After the first listen of the CD it was the chorus to this song that persistently floated around my head.
13. Salad Boys - Dream Date
More indie featuring my biggest bugbear, the weak male vocal, which is buried so far under the guitar riff and percussion that you can barely make out the lyrics
14. Whatever Forever - Miserable People
Coming in at one minute thirty five seconds and one of the shortest tracks on the CD. Female fronted American indiepop that could have been released in the 1990s but is fairly recent.
15. Westkust - Weekend
Some shoegazey indie from Sweden which is pleasant but undiverting.
16. Candi Staton - Beware, She’s After Your Man
Bass - check; organ - check; funky guitar riff - check; horns - check; we are indeed in funk territory. As I’m not too familiar with Ms Staton’s discography the first thought that came across is what classic album does this one come from, however, 30 seconds in she proclaims we are all living in the digital age. Doubting that Candi was technologically prescient in the age of analogue a little investigation discovers that this was released in 2014. What we get here is a lesson on how to retain your original sound yet somehow sound contemporary at the same time. Staton also uses her age to good effect, with her proffering motherly advice to a younger audience yet in places sounding as if she knows the advice won’t be followed and they’ll discover the hard way like she did.
17. Brain F - Lie About Diet
Hurrah, it’s 1977 again, frenetic guitars, off key female vocals that can’t be made out, and all completed after one minute and three seconds. The musical equivalent of standing by the side of the road and watching the Tour de France peloton go speeding by.
18. The Love Triangle - Do you Think that you’ve Found Love?
Still in late 1970s new wave territory, for some reason this reminded me of Eddie & the Hot Rods
19. The Morons - Motorbike
The third of the late 1970s-like trilogy, even their name harks back to that period. The intro has that descending guitar scale thing the Cramps used to do before heading off down the road at a hundred miles an hour, through traffic lights, shouting f..k you, and telling everybody you’re born to die - which they will if they keep going through red lights.
20. Cinerama - I Wake up Screaming
Always preferred Cinerama Gedge to Wedding Present Gedge, the former more thoughtful and less frenetic than the latter, and this one is no exception. Here young Gedgie goes to bed dreaming his partner is cheating on him, why is she taking the iPhone into the bathroom? Not to play Angry Birds whilst curling one out, no she’s texting another man. On waking up he discovers his nightmare has become a reality, condemning her cowardice in carrying out the betrayal. Though you feel the reality has yet to sink in.
21. Goblin - Suspiria
The nightmares continue with this piece of prog rock from 1977, the soundtrack to Dario Argentio’s supernatural thriller of the same name. What we have thrown into the mixer is what sounds like the tune a music box plays, some reverberating ‘POOMs’, warning sirens at each segment breakdown, some flourishing Rick Wakeman like keyboards, and a vocal that hovers in the background and can be best described as rasping though lyrically all that can be heard are some ‘la la las’ and the word ‘Witch’ spat out at various intervals. Not been voted the best horror soundtrack for nothing, demented and brilliant.

Favourite is Knickers followed by Nice Legs a close second (A statement which would have hordes of Millie Tants trying to emasculate me).

Looks good.

I'd guess [MENTION=19864]Flex Your Head[/MENTION]

Flex Your Head

Looks good.

I'd guess [MENTION=19864]Flex Your Head[/MENTION]

Hmmm, no, it's not me. I thought it might be you, but unless you're double bluffing, I'll have to guess elsewhere. I'm going for [MENTION=2040]Staly[/MENTION] because of The Morons, Goblin and Prince Jammy.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I thought [MENTION=2040]Staly[/MENTION] too. Surely it's compulsory for a HKFC mix to have at least one Smiths and the June Brides?

Meanwhile still no cd received or review of the one I did.

*sulks*

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here