Votes: 9 45.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
OK, so this it what we've all been waiting for. 18 teams started out with a chance at the title, and now we're down to the last two standing. These two have both come through tough groups, as well as a Quarter Final and Semi Final to have earned the right to be here fighting for overall victory. I'm sure everyone will agree that these are two genuinely superb teams, and I really wouldn't want to predict which way this one will go.

Well done to [MENTION=8619]Guy Fawkes[/MENTION] and [MENTION=23606]Shatner's Bassoon[/MENTION] for making it here, and good luck to you both. :thumbsup:
[MENTION=8619]Guy Fawkes[/MENTION]
guyfawkes.jpg

SUBS: Hugo Lloris, Joleon Lescott, Oscar, Lee Bowyer, Edin Dzeko
[MENTION=23606]Shatner's Bassoon[/MENTION]
shatnersbassoon.png

SUBS: Hernan Crespo, Peter Crouch, Dave Watson, Geremi, Kevin Pressman

Shatner's Bassoon

The Puff Pastry Hangman
Feb 12, 2012
Cheers Frutos. Good luck, [MENTION=8619]Guy Fawkes[/MENTION]: may the person who's contributed least to the smooth running of the draft win :wink:

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
This is a real heavyweight match up, a very worthy final. There's very little to split the two: There's nothing in it between the keepers; Shatner's has the better central defence but Guy Fawkes has the stronger full backs; Giggs, Hazard and Robben is a frightening attacking combination in midfield but it leaves Guy Fawkes a little lightweight in midfield as Fernandinho isn't capable of holding fort on his own against Shatner's five in midfield. Ince and Parlour add some grit and ballast to a slightly better balanced midfield selection; up front both teams have plenty of goals in them; Guy Fawkes has the stronger bench (there are a couple of players who are arguably stronger than the players in their respective position in the starting 11).

So, all in all, it's a very close match up. Both [MENTION=8619]Guy Fawkes[/MENTION] and [MENTION=23606]Shatner's Bassoon[/MENTION] should be congratulated for assembling such excellent and strong squads. My vote, however, is going to Shatner's as I think he has a slightly stronger starting 11 which would be good enough to get its nose ahead and then have enough quality on the bench to protect the lead against any changes Guy Fawkes could make from his bench.

A great match up. Well done guys. And well done [MENTION=4675]Frutos[/MENTION] for ensuring this tournament went ahead(and of course, [MENTION=15934]Rohana[/MENTION] for doing the actual draft).

Shatner's Bassoon

The Puff Pastry Hangman
Feb 12, 2012
Thanks, [MENTION=286]Garry Nelson's Left Foot[/MENTION]. I'll try to make a pitch here. [MENTION=8619]Guy Fawkes[/MENTION] has of course put together a formidable team, but I think there is a fatal flaw at the heart of it.

First, I just think that the solidity offered by Adams and Desailly, with protection from Ince and Parlour, means that my team has a clear advantage in terms of playing without the ball. Second, with the ball, I'm afraid to say that John O'Shea simply isn't good enough for the spine of a team at this level. Djorkaeff would pull him out of position playing in the hole, leaving Henry to run rampant. Fernandinho, I would suggest, simply isn't enough to cover for this glaring weakness.

In summary, Guy Fawkes' team will struggle to break through my defensive spine, even with the impressive array of attacking talent at his disposal, and will be unable to cope with the attacking options of my team. This in turn may well lead Jens Lehmann to do something insane, and I predict that he will last 10 minutes before being sent off for a professional foul/assault and battery on the halfway line.

Also, Guy Fawkes will probably do a deal with the SNP. Or something.

Vote Shatner's Bassoon!

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Regarding John O'shea, I would like to point out the haul in his trophy cabinet
Manchester United:
Premier League (5): 2002–03, 2006–07, 2007–08, 2008–09, 2010–11
FA Cup: 2003–04
Football League Cup (3): 2005–06, 2008–09 2009–10
FA Community Shield (4): 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010
UEFA Champions League: 2007–08
FIFA Club World Cup: 2008

Sunderland A.F.C:
Football League Cup: 2013–14 Runner-up

I would also like to point out that he wasn't a part player for Man Utd as many may think, so i will put how many appearances he made for them in each title winning season:
2002–03 - 32 league appearances
2006–07 - 32 league appearances
2007–08 - 28 league appearances
2008–09 - 30 league appearances
2010–11 - 20 league appearances
So at a time when they were the best team in the Country and winning trophies left, right and centre, would they have done that with someone who some think isn't good enough for Man Utd, surely they would have replaced him long before he'd won anywhere near as many trophies and contributed so much to their success, he certainly wouldn't have lasted almost a decade at the club and made the 393 appearances that he did make whilst there? These statistics show that he has been a very under-rated player in the Premier League and done a lot more that people give him credit for. He has also shown indurance and has been a successful PL player for a very long time.

Now we move onto the other player that Shatner's Bassoon mentions - the 'Invincible' Jens Lehmann - The only keeper in Premier League history to play for a club that went undefeated in the league for the whole season (2003-04)
He has also won the UEFA Goalkeeper of the year not once but twice in his career, importantly the second time was with Arsenal in 2006. (first in 1997)
He also won UEFA Club Football Awards Best Goalkeeper: 2005–06 whilst at Arsenal and he won his place in the FIFA World Cup All-Star Team: 2006.

If that's considered weak, it just shows you how strong my team really is.

Shatner's Bassoon

The Puff Pastry Hangman
Feb 12, 2012
Manchester United:

Sunderland A.F.C:

I would also like to point out that he wasn't a part player for Man Utd as many may think, so i will put how many appearances he made for them in each title winning season:
So at a time when they were the best team in the Country and winning trophies left, right and centre, would they have done that with someone who some think isn't good enough for Man Utd, surely they would have replaced him long before he'd won anywhere near as many trophies and contributed so much to their success, he certainly wouldn't have lasted almost a decade at the club and made the 393 appearances that he did make whilst there? These statistics show that he has been a very under-rated player in the Premier League and done a lot more that people give him credit for. He has also shown indurance and has been a successful PL player for a very long time.

Now we move onto the other player that Shatner's Bassoon mentions - the 'Invincible' Jens Lehmann - The only keeper in Premier League history to play for a club that went undefeated in the league for the whole season (2003-04)
He has also won the UEFA Goalkeeper of the year not once but twice in his career, importantly the second time was with Arsenal in 2006. (first in 1997)
He also won UEFA Club Football Awards Best Goalkeeper: 2005–06 whilst at Arsenal and he won his place in the FIFA World Cup All-Star Team: 2006.

Is it too late to change my vote? :)

I stand by what I said about O'Shea, although you make a compelling case. I just think that Ferguson decided that the talent around him allowed a couple of players from that era to be carried. I would suggest he's showing his true ability at Sunderland.

Lehmann? Agree with you, although I think the factors I mention might lead him to have one of his periodic moments of madness.

Looks like it's going to the wire, anyway.

P.S. I also mentioned Fernandinho :wink:

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Manchester United:

Sunderland A.F.C:

Tremendous defence of your team.

I never knew that about Lehmann. Clearly a much better player than I remember him being.

I think you're over egging the pudding a bit with O'Shea though. He was a utility defender, rarely first choice but useful as a stand in. He played left back/right back/ centre back depending on who was injured/suspended/needed a rest. 52 of those appearances you mention were from the bench. He's a solid enough defender but a regular for someone like Sunderland is basically his genuine level I feel.

That said, you have an excellent team. Good luck! :thumbsup:

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Manchester United:

Sunderland A.F.C:

I would also like to point out that John O'Shea once nutmegged Luis Figo.....:thumbsup:

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
After a superb final which saw the lead swing back and forth multiple times, it's [MENTION=8619]Guy Fawkes[/MENTION] who will be celebrating and lifting the trophy after an epic 11-9 victory. Comiserations to [MENTION=23606]Shatner's Bassoon[/MENTION], but 2nd place is nothing to be ashamed of in such a class field.

Shatner's Bassoon

The Puff Pastry Hangman
Feb 12, 2012
Congratulations [MENTION=8619]Guy Fawkes[/MENTION], a worthy champion!

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
After a superb final which saw the lead swing back and forth multiple times, it's [MENTION=8619]Guy Fawkes[/MENTION] who will be celebrating and lifting the trophy after an epic 11-9 victory. Comiserations to [MENTION=23606]Shatner's Bassoon[/MENTION], but 2nd place is nothing to be ashamed of in such a class field.

How on Earth did i win this, i have John O'Shea in my defence :jester:

Sorry for the delay in my response but it has been one hell of a victory celebration
[MENTION=23606]Shatner's Bassoon[/MENTION], well played and very unlucky, that is a very good team that you've assembled there and the result really could have gone either way and either team would have been a worthy winner.

@ Frutos Thanks for organising this vote

There were so many really good teams in this tournament, so i'm amazed to have won. Thanks to everyone who has voted for me. The whole competition has been really enjoyable and can't wait for the next one.
And finally, I can only mirror the greatest and most important victory speach given in the past week, "Winner, winner chicken dinner"

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here